Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

If I took a UK car to France...Is it relatively straightforward to insure it in France and drive it about? Or are there a load of hoops to jump through?

Best Wishes

Matt

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I think it depends on the age of the car/type......but it is a chore to register a UK car in France.

I always suggest buying a LHD car when living in France because at the end of the day it is safer/more enjoyable to drive on French roads. Leaning across the passenger seat trying to overtake is not fun on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are you bringing the car here permanently or for holidays or for work as this will affect what you need to do.If you are moving here permanently it has been made easier to reregister your vehicle(which you must do) however if it is an old banger it may not be worth all the expense.If you tel us what your intentions are we can tell exactly what you need to do

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My intention is to get an old banger to transport my stuff in and then use it in france until it dies....the move to france would be permanent...i understnad old bangers are way cheaper in the uk...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can I throw something else into the mix
1 Old bangers have a nasty habit of breaking down on the French motorway when they suddenly find themselves doing 80mph instead of the 30 they have usually done so get breakdown insurance
2You only have 1 month to reregister your car in France so you have to decide to pay the registration fees/scrap it in France and buy a car here and then be left with the headache of dealing with the DVLA and a French certificate of scrappage
3 Insurance Who will you get to insure your car and what cover will they provide in France as you will be French resident-just basic thrd party I suspect.
4 What about the hassle of getting it back to the UK and trying to sell it plus what if the MOT/insurance runs out
5Perhaps it would be better to buy a decent RHD in the UK or perhaps better still buy a LHD in the uk and bring it over here .A Google search bought up several companies and here is one as an example Buy, Sell or Exchange any Left Hand Drive car - Lhd car Ltd

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think it depends on the age of the car/type......but it is a chore to register a UK car in France.

I always suggest buying a LHD car when living in France because at the end of the day it is safer/more enjoyable to drive on French roads. Leaning across the passenger seat trying to overtake is not fun on a regular basis.
And much, much easier to pay tolls on the Autoroutes :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts