Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

So having posted on here in regards to my partner coming to the UK on a holiday for 3 months the general feedback was that it may ring alarm bells and if stopped by border control he will need proof he has ties to his home country (he doesn't have anything that would prove this but he would go back) sufficient funds to cover 3 month etc. It all seemed like it would be a big hassle if stopped and questioned.

So after much thought we are just going to book a his ticket to stay here for a few weeks with the possibility of changing the return ticket further down the line.

I just have a few concerns in regards to this.

1. My first concern is would passport control still require my partner to have a loads of documents to prove his ties to his home country? (I mean who would do that for a few week holiday?)
He would have his return ticket with him also.

2. He is currently waiting for an international bank card and will have a few hundred pounds in there plus around £800 in cash when landing in the UK- is that ok?
He will also have a Wedding invitation for my sister (one of the main reasons for him coming here) with him

3. I am thinking of meeting him in the European country his plane lands and then flying back to the UK together so we can pass through immigration together.
Would passport control have an issue with this and wonder why I have flew out to say Paris airport to meet him when he is coming to the UK to see me anyway? (One of the main reasons I want to meet him is that he has never travelled and he is worried about being in a foreign airport alone- Latin men! lol and I want to be there at passport control if they ask who his sponsor is)

4. If we do change his ticket to stay longer will this be an issue when applying for a fiancé visa? I mean technically if he was given 90 days he has the right to stay here for 90 days no? Situations change and people are entitled to change their plans.
Would this cause any issues?

Any help would be most appreciated :)

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
#1 Generally yes.
#2 Work out a budget for his 2-3 week stay and see if what he has is adequate. If you are going to sponsor him (like free bed and board), then you need to send in your invitation letter and 6-month bank statement.
#3 Won't make much of a difference. You are likely to be separated and he will be quizzed alone.
#4 A big yes. UKVI is increasingly taking a dim view of people applying for a shorter stay and then changing their return date once they get a visa or leave to enter valid longer than anticipated. It can be construed as dishonesty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.
In regards to number 4 - bit of a long shot but would there be someone to contact to up date them on a change of circumstances/a longer stay? Just to make it look better when applying for a visa in the future if it was to be an issue...?

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
They are now checking passports on the way out (exit control).
No, unless it is an emergency (falling seriously ill or getting injured, or caring for a sick relative, with evidence).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for you replies so far Joppa but I am still slightly confused as to why it would be an issue.

Why give 90 days leave if using it would be an issue?

I have travelled extensively and my plans were constantly changing-
I would initially put on the Visa entry card how many days I thought I'd be in the country for but then often extend my stay. I wasn't intentionally lying...I was just exercising my right to use the amount of days given when being stamped in.

I could understand if after those 90 days you still stayed in the country as an over-stayer but has there been any proven cases on here of people being rejected for fiancé visas because they stayed longer than they initially said they would (even though they didn't overstay)

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Yes, increasingly so. UKVI regards what you put on your application form, what you write on immigration card or tell at UK border as binding, and just changing your mind and staying longer as dishonesty or fraudulent. This is precisely to stop people asking for a short stay (say two weeks, which is easier to be accepted) and then extending it to several months. The practice normally is to give you a six-month leave as visitor, but you shouldn't regard it as carte blanche to staying longer at will. If you want 3 months, you should ask for 3 months in the first place.
While staying longer doesn't automatically lead to settlement visa refusal, it will be a negative factor which you should disclose, take full responsibility for and express regret over it. Don't let them find out without your declaring it, or rejection becomes more likely.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, increasingly so. UKVI regards what you put on your application form, what you write on immigration card or tell at UK border as binding, and just changing your mind and staying longer as dishonesty or fraudulent. This is precisely to stop people asking for a short stay (say two weeks, which is easier to be accepted) and then extending it to several months. The practice normally is to give you a six-month leave as visitor, but you shouldn't regard it as carte blanche to staying longer at will. If you want 3 months, you should ask for 3 months in the first place. While staying longer doesn't automatically lead to settlement visa refusal, it will be a negative factor which you should disclose, take full responsibility for and express regret over it. Don't let them find out without your declaring it, or rejection becomes more likely.
Hello

Please is it effect the people who declared in 2013 and 2014 in visa applications the short period of stay in UK but left country by the end of the expiry visa date

Thanks

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
What are you referring to? If you mean people staying longer than what they have declared, there have been several rejection letters published on the forum recently referring to this practice, which is quoted as one of the reasons for visa denial. There has been no change in policy as such - they are just holding people to their written and verbal declaration about length of stay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In October 2014 year my partner contacted the immigration department regarding prolongation of my stay in UK declared in the visa application and border control
And the official people orally endured him that it is no problem and that's legal and no breaking the rules . That's confused me a lot as I told to my partner that we would get the problem with that in the future .

Now as we applying for the marriage visa , what should we do - write the explanation letter and say sorry for happened accident changes in my visit stays ?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Better to declare it than being found out. UKVI seems to be digging around people's immigration record in order to find reasons to deny their visa. I suppose it's all to do with their attempt to reduce immigration, which is getting out of hand (record high net immigration).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi joppa. On this subject im now slightly worried about my spouse application. In 2014 my husband applied for a family visit visa for a 6 week stay in the uk. We were travelling together from his home country as i lived there too. His visa was valid for 6 months. On arrival at heathrow we told the botder control it was a six week holiday. Our circumstances changed as there was a job opportunity come up for me in the uk meeting the financial requirements for a spouse visa and i jumped at the chance to start the process. Whilst here i got a job and a house and we decided that my husband would stay until his visa was expiring as we didnt want to be apart. I have explained all this in my cover letter. I meet the financial requirements accomodation and relationship. Can my visa bee refused on this????

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. Make sure you state you take full responsibility, express remorse, explain reasons for extended stay, that there was never an intention to deceive and something like this will never happen again.

Just to get back to what juliamay9 said. UKVI is now increasingly using the suitability ground - which includes telling lies or being dishonest with Home Office - as a ground for refusal. In the past, they normally used it only for more serious kind of deception like presenting a forged document, but it has extended it to any kind of verbal or written discrepancy without overwhelming compassionate reasons. For example, if you had to stay longer because your relative got suddenly very ill and you had to care for them, that would be a valid excuse but not if you just wanted to stay longer. They may speculate that it was always your intention to stay longer but you just asked for a shorter period to ease your way into UK.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks joppa. Unfortunatly my application is already in so i cant change the cover letter.now im stressing. I didnt think it would be an issue as he returned well before the expiry date. He was in the uk a total of about 5 months :(

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
At least you mentioned it in your sponsorship letter so just sit tight and see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my suppoeting letter i expalined that the original plan was for him to come for 6 weeks and i was checking out a job opportunity thats came up as i was keen to leave the dominican as it was no longer safe to live there due to recent issues. Then on my return i was offered the job which was due to start in September.we the took the deceion for my husband to stay longer as we didnt want to be apart and our cirumstances changed so the plan was for him to return to his country and apply for a spouse visa. OH GOD now im panicing. If i knew it would be an issue he would have gone home :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.