Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Thinking about going to the UK on an Ancestry Visa (my Grandmother was born in England).

I've been thinking about the possibility of living in the UK while working remotely for my current company here in Canada.

Does anyone know if that would conflict with any of the UK Ancestry Visa rules? I'm wondering if it is a requirement for the Visa holder to obtain a UK job.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I don't see much problem there.
While ancestry visa is for a worker and you must show intention to work in UK, it doesn't specify what kind of job you must do. So working remotely for your Canadian employer is ok. Whether it counts as part of 5-year continuous employment in UK in order to get settlement (ILR) after 5 years is another matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Still early in the planning stages. At this point we're not sure if we'd settle so that might not be a factor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coming back to this after some more thought and research.

If I were to technically quit or take a leave of absence from my current job here in Canada, then take on the same role with my former Canadian employer by working remotely after we've settled in the UK, would this count towards the ILR?

This would mean I'd be paying UK income taxes. I'm thinking this would be OK since it would be the same as any other person in the UK working for an overseas company. But any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The rule just state you must be working for 5 years, or actively looking for job during periods of unemployment. It doesn't specify types of employment, for a UK or overseas employer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.