Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to apply for the UK ancestry visa. I have gone over the documentation on the UK gov site and it appears I qualify as my grandparents from one parent were both born in the UK and I am a Canadian citizen.

My one question is regarding my spouse as she is a Japanese citizen. Is anyone aware if this would cause any issues with me obtaining the UK ancestry visa or can she simply accompany me as she is my spouse regardless of her not being a Canadian citizen? If so, would she be able to work or go to school in the UK?

Appreciate any advice or feedback with experience or knowledge in this area. Many thanks.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
As noted. Also you both have to pay health surcharge at £200 a year, which will come to £2,000 for both of you for a 5-year visa.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers. Thank you both. I see also, that when we apply for our visa's that we will need to pay an initial amount of £2000 ( £1000 each) for the Immigration Health Surcharge.

My concern was if there was any issue with her being from another country but that does not seem to be the case. I assume then she should be eligible to work/study in the UK coming as my dependent.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
No problem for being a Nihonjin, as her status is dependent on your UK ancestry. She can work and study in UK without further ado, though she will be subject to international student fees with no access to student finance like grants and loans. Also she has no recourse to public funds other than contribution-based benefits like statutory sick pay, SMP, earning eligibility towards state pension and JSA. This is the same for you until you gain settlement after 5 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem for being a Nihonjin, as her status is dependent on your UK ancestry. She can work and study in UK without further ado, though she will be subject to international student fees with no access to student finance like grants and loans. Also she has no recourse to public funds other than contribution-based benefits like statutory sick pay, SMP, earning eligibility towards state pension and JSA. This is the same for you until you gain settlement after 5 years.

Thank you for that very helpful information. :) Is she able to apply for her visa in parallel with me or must she wait until I have been granted my UK ancestry visa?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.