Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So in the midst of applying for this visa..

I have my birth certificate, and i can get my dad and his dads birth certificate which states the grandpa was born in england and i meet all the requirements etc

THE ONLY THING ...

Is that, my dads name is not listed on my birth certificate, BUT i have DNA test papers that state he is my biological father..

I'm not sure if I can use that dna test as proof, that im related to them or if I have to go through the expensive trouble of adding his name to my birth certificate... Which may mean i have to take another dna test which is also super expensive. I read that all you need is to prove that you're related, it doesn't specifically say the fathers name has to be on your birth certificate..

But the application fee for this visa is super expensive and I can't afford to make a mistake and have to redo it..

I have looked everywhere for numbers I can call to ask for help on this but i haven't found any!!!

Do i have to add his name? Or would legal certified dna test papers be enough proof?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The regulation only mentions 'full' birth certificate, to mean that it must have parents' names on it. I don't know if they accept DNA test result in lieu, though Home Office does accept in other cases like child maintenance claim or paternity dispute but only from certain UK test centres. I don't know if they accept Canadian test result. I think the best course of action is to apply with existing birth certificate and DNA test papers, and hope they accept them as proof of ancestry. Fee is £324, not cheap but much less than settlement visa for partners. You have to pay health surcharge for 5 years upfront, at £1,000 as a Canadian.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
You should be able to get a long form birth certificate from most, if not all provinces/territories in Canada... Passeport Canada changed its rules back in 2012 requiring first-time passport applications for the under 16 set include proof of parentage information, so it would stand to reason that most provinces would be able to supply these on request (for a fee).

I ordered a long-form version of my own birth certificate from vital statistics in Victoria in 2012, just before I applied for my visa. The newer issue birth certificates are made of the same type of polymer as the new issue bank notes.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.