Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am negotiating a job offer with a US company in UAE, and they asked me if i can have my own sponsorship, as they do not want to hold the expenses of sponsoring, in order to get the job agreement. how can i do it?

1st question: they told me to have a freezone company via a PRO service office in Dubai that will help me to have an investor visa . is this possible? and legal?

2nd question: if i will have investor visa, how am i supposed to work for another company, is this possible and legal? how?

Thanks,
Elie.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
If they are a US company in the UAE and are trying to get out of sponsoring staff locally, be very very careful.

You'll lose just about every legal protecting as an employee as you'll be a company - any disputes and you'll have to go to court to get anything done, and you'll lose all your Labour protection.

If they dont pay you you'll have little redress without suing them. You can get terminated without compensation and you'll get no gratuity.

Avoid if I were you.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The 'contract' will be between two legal entities and you're just an employee of one of the parties. You can't take your employers customer to the MoL if they dont pay can you ? Your company has to take the other company to the full court and there is no employment contract between you and the US firm - just a contract like window cleaning, or building a house.

Your redress is to your employer, which is the company whom you work for and sponsor you i.e. your own company.

Its like you being sued by an employee of a company you hire to do a job, if you dont pay the company, your liability is to the company with whom you have a contract - not its employees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been told that it can be good if you don't want to commit to a company by making a visa with them, because it kind of enslaves you with them. This way you can resign anytime, any day or hour you pack your things and leave. And also this way they don't commit to you and don't go through visa processes. but from a legal point of view, I totally confused whether I should take it or not

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
I have been told that it can be good if you don't want to commit to a company by making a visa with them, because it kind of enslaves you with them. This way you can resign anytime, any day or hour you pack your things and leave. And also this way they don't commit to you and don't go through visa processes. but from a legal point of view, I totally confused whether I should take it or not
Hi,
If you own your own company and are fully in control of the invoices to clients, bank accounts and can pay yourself from these accounts - then a freezone company is great.
If, however, a company tries to hire you and gets you to open a freezone company where you don't control the invoices and bank account - then you could be in for a world of pain.
Even worse would be if you were a co-signatory of the bank account and the other signatory does not reside in the UAE. They could then commit fraud whilst overseas but leave you to carry the blame in the UAE (I know somebody that this happened to!)
I would not be prepared to work under the regime you have been offered.
Working on a normal work visa for a company gives you protection under UAE labour law and it is very easy to switch jobs and visas here - so a freezone does not give you any more freedom - only much less protection.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Steve
The company will be owned by one person, me only, so its gonna be 1 signature.
I will be in control of all invoices.

The main reason behind the company to be able to have residency and work as a freelance with other company

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi Steve
The company will be owned by one person, me only, so its gonna be 1 signature.
I will be in control of all invoices.

The main reason behind the company to be able to have residency and work as a freelance with other company
Hi,
Well that's different to what you put in your first post.
You have obviously made up your mind to do it (regardless of what other people have advised) - so good luck.
As Duncan would say - "I'm out!"
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
So let me get this straight. They don't want to fork out around 5-6 dhs to get you a visa, but they expect YOU to fork out 20,000dhs + (that's what it'll cost you) to set up your own company. Not to mention you'll have to pay for health insurance, unless they're willing to give you the cash for that.

If you're not under their sponsorship then they could get way with not pay you, not paying you gratuity etc.

All sounds really dodgy to me. i'd avoid it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts