Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
only to visit these countries for up to 90 days.........

Still need visit visa for UK.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
In what way are the Emiratis getting preferential treatment as compared to the non-EEA spouses of British citizens?

I am the non-EEA wife of an Englishman and I enjoy visa-free access to those Schengen countries that the Emiratis enjoy plus I don't need a visa to visit the UK or Ireland (which is almost moot, given that I have ILR and will soon be applying for citizenship).

Also, as a native born citizen of a Canada, I have further privileges that neither EU or Emirati citizens are able to enjoy (i.e. no need to sit paper or road test to get a driving permit; am eligible to vote in Civic, Federal and EU elections in the UK; am exempt from the English language requirement for immigration purposes by virtue of my passport etc. etc.)

So, while it annoys and vexes me to no end that, as a Commonwealth citizen, I have fewer rights of free access to the UK than someone from the EU (i.e. no real historic ties to the UK other than membership in the EU) and have had to shell out £ £,£££ to get to the point I'm at today (immigration wise, that is), I'm not complaining too loudly about it (because I am grateful for and cognisant of the fact that I have free access to things that others do not).

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Because freedom of movement and freedom of labour are basic tenets of European Union treaties. When you join a club, you are bound by its rules. British citizens will have a chance to express their views in a referendum shortly whether to stay in EU or leave.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Emeratis (UAE citizens) have been granted VISA FREE travel within the Schengen area, plus seven other
countries including the UK.
This means our Arab friends from UAE now have more rights than our British non-EU spouses.

See:

Emiratis given Visa free travel to the EU Schengen Zone area and 7 others countries
Hi,
About time too - as European citizens have not needed a visa to visit the UAE!
We could come here on a 30 day free of charge visit visa and when that ran out simply drive to the Oman border and renew for another 30 days - ad infinitum.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
494 Posts
Emeratis (UAE citizens) have been granted VISA FREE travel within the Schengen area, plus seven other
countries including the UK.
This means our Arab friends from UAE now have more rights than our British non-EU spouses.

See:

Emiratis given Visa free travel to the EU Schengen Zone area and 7 others countries
I'm afraid you're comparing apples to oranges here: your statement is no more valid than saying "Americans (Canadians/Japanese/Australians/Singaporeans etc) have more rights than our non-EU spouses" since citizens of those countries do not require a visa to visit the Schengen Zone. So why single out Emiratis?

Plus - as Stevesolar pointed out - EU citizens have been allowed visa-free entry to the UAE for the longest time; now the UAE has achieved reciprocity for its citizens visiting the EU.

(And for the record - I am a British citizen married to an Indonesian, who needs a Schengen visa every time he travels to an EU country.)

teuchter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.