Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know good source to find smaller law firms that specialize in immigration ? I'm in the US at present. I'm a U.S. citizen with some legal issues and need to consult with a local lawyer that can look at my details to see what the lay of the land is in UAE for my specific circumstances and obtaining permanent residency.

I know that UAE as well as Saudi Arabia and Qatar don't have extradition agreements with the U.S. but I do not know the detailed implications of the law which is why I need to get pointed in the right direction. I'm not seeking legal advise on this forum just some referrals. I've been searching for directories of lawyers in the region but am finding mostly very large international law firms and I need to get with a smaller firm to assist.

I would also welcome a link, if anyone may have it, to any UAE laws that may outline the same information I seek. Don't worry. I'm not wanted by any 3 letter agencies. Just my money hungry Ex-Wife that is fleecing me. No kids. I'm free to move.

Help !

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
You can not obtain permanent residency. UAE works pretty closely with the usa so wouldnt rely on that no extradition thing for too long. Neither Qatar or Bahrain. They all may not have extradition currently but the usa has significant presence in each of those countries you named in quite a heavy military and government sense. Anyhow... Options -

Find a job, get a work visa, move here. Lose your job, visa is revoked, one way ticket out of the country.

Set up in the free zones a business, pay uae to have a 'business' of any sort, and stay here indeffinatly like lots of people.... (mind you this little work around may change at any time as many locals are not happy with this situation)

Marry a local girl (next to impossible) and get to live here on a visa but never get to have citizenship of uae. Lose the wife, lose the right to live here.

Maybe look at countries that will give you a visa if you buy property there. I do believe you might have luck looking at Oman (same problem though, usa has presence there). I think if you buy property there, you can live there. Maybe Egypt? Believe is the same there.

Or you could just pay your alimony.... not doing so is going to follow you around for a long long long time. Go back to court if you feel you are being treated unfairly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A new member here with the user name SuperLawyer lists "Legal Consultant, Migration Lawyer" as his occupation. Maybe he could offer some advice? It's worth a shot, abaco!

N

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know good source to find smaller law firms that specialize in immigration ? I'm in the US at present. I'm a U.S. citizen with some legal issues and need to consult with a local lawyer that can look at my details to see what the lay of the land is in UAE for my specific circumstances and obtaining permanent residency.

I know that UAE as well as Saudi Arabia and Qatar don't have extradition agreements with the U.S. but I do not know the detailed implications of the law which is why I need to get pointed in the right direction. I'm not seeking legal advise on this forum just some referrals. I've been searching for directories of lawyers in the region but am finding mostly very large international law firms and I need to get with a smaller firm to assist.

I would also welcome a link, if anyone may have it, to any UAE laws that may outline the same information I seek. Don't worry. I'm not wanted by any 3 letter agencies. Just my money hungry Ex-Wife that is fleecing me. No kids. I'm free to move.

Help !
So you are hoping to flee the US to avoid paying alimony?:eek: Sorry, I would/could not refer anyone to you for that

If you don't have any legal issues, why are you asking about extradition agreements?

As far as I know, you cannot become a permanent residence of the UAE if you weren't born here. Could be wrong about that though

·
Registered
165 Posts
So you are hoping to flee the US to avoid paying alimony?:eek: Sorry, I would/could not refer anyone to you for that
Agreed!

As far as I know, you cannot become a permanent residence of the UAE if you weren't born here. Could be wrong about that though
Unlike the US, being born in the UAE does not give one the right to UAE citizenship. I have a friend who was born and raised in Dubai, but his parents are of Indian ethnicity so he is, therefore, an Indian citizen with an Indian Passport.

I am not sure what the requirements for UAE citizenship are, nor did I Google it.

Remember when we used to say "look it up" and now we seem to automatically say "Google it"??? :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Agreed!

Unlike the US, being born in the UAE does not give one the right to UAE citizenship. I have a friend who was born and raised in Dubai, but his parents are of Indian ethnicity so he is, therefore, an Indian citizen with an Indian Passport.

I am not sure what the requirements for UAE citizenship are, nor did I Google it.

Remember when we used to say "look it up" and now we seem to automatically say "Google it"??? :rolleyes:
I think if born here, to be a citizen, your father would have to be Emirati. But I also think if you can be a permanent resident if born here, even if not necessarily a citizen, like your friend. Or does he have to eventually go back to India?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
If a local women married anyone none local, her children are not local :( Even if born and raised here. Even if dad is someone who is arabic, and born and raised here. Still, not a citizen. Many of the local women would like this changed but if and when ???

Doesnt matter how long you have lived here, where you were born, etc. There is one indian who was granted citizenship... I believe it was the abu dhabi sheikhs doctor. The locals talk about that for some odd reason. ???

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
There is no such thing as permanent residency here and you cannot be naturalised to become a UAE citizen - the only exception, being women who marry an Emirati. You are only allowed to stay in the UAE as long as you are making a contribution to the country, by working and residency visas are valid for 2 years only and are only renewed subject to having a job and getting a clean bill of health!

My advice is to deal with your legal troubles as they will follow you around. As Jynx has rightly stated, if you feel that you are paying too much, then go back to court and plead your case. This is far better than running away from your responsibilities, which will in all likelihood make the problem a lot worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies. Since I have no ties here in the US I though the energy of Dubai looked like an interesting change. Wondering how many of you like the change or can't wait to have your time up there and get home.

I wrote to an attny in Dubai and received this reply.

(begin quote)
Thanks for your reply . You can always Set up a Company in UAE and start to do your trading activities in your concerned field. We suggest you to Open a Company in the One of the Free Zones of UAE where you will have a full ownership of the Company unlike opening a Company in other places of UAE where you will have have a Local Emirati partnership which may lead to hassles later. RAK Free Zone offers best options for setup of company.

In my view it would be suitable to get a Trading License in your name as the sole Proprietor. The cheapest, faster and easier option would be to open the same in RAKIA Free Zone, which is in the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. You can get the License issued for your proposed Company and then get an Investor Visa issued in your name, which will be valid for 3 years. You can on the strength of the said Visa, stay at Dubai or at any other place of your choice in UAE.

We would be able to manage getting the License for your proposed Company issued in a week, without your coming down over here. We shall send across the Documents to you, wherein you can sign the same at your end , then scan and send it back to us. After the License gets issued, you would have to come down to sign the Lease Deed for the Office space for your Company, which is necessary to get the Visa issued. At that time, your Application for Visa also can be submitted, which would then get issued in 7 to 10 days time.
(end quote and reply)

>>> Further, I have sent some follow up questions asking them if having a commercial lease is required to get the business and associated Visa for my own company. I only need a phone and a computer to work if a business license in an apartment is suitable since I have no foot traffic what so ever. I have read from one source that purchasing property would grant permanent residency but do not know what the minimum investment might be OR if I could find anything (not within in Dubai of course) that would be affordable for purposes of satisfying that requirement (if it's even true).

·
Registered
377 Posts
The office lease is required. You have to have a business address in the free zone. Many many ppl do this and never go to the "office."

Thank you for the replies. Since I have no ties here in the US I though the energy of Dubai looked like an interesting change. Wondering how many of you like the change or can't wait to have your time up there and get home.

(begin quote)
Thanks for your reply . You can always Set up a Company in UAE and start to do your trading activities in your concerned field. We suggest you to Open a Company in the One of the Free Zones of UAE where you will have a full ownership of the Company unlike opening a Company in other places of UAE where you will have have a Local Emirati partnership which may lead to hassles later. RAK Free Zone offers best options for setup of company.

In my view it would be suitable to get a Trading License in your name as the sole Proprietor. The cheapest, faster and easier option would be to open the same in RAKIA Free Zone, which is in the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. You can get the License issued for your proposed Company and then get an Investor Visa issued in your name, which will be valid for 3 years. You can on the strength of the said Visa, stay at Dubai or at any other place of your choice in UAE.

We would be able to manage getting the License for your proposed Company issued in a week, without your coming down over here. We shall send across the Documents to you, wherein you can sign the same at your end , then scan and send it back to us. After the License gets issued, you would have to come down to sign the Lease Deed for the Office space for your Company, which is necessary to get the Visa issued. At that time, your Application for Visa also can be submitted, which would then get issued in 7 to 10 days time.
(end quote and reply)

>>> Further, I have sent some follow up questions asking them if having a commercial lease is required to get the business and associated Visa for my own company. I only need a phone and a computer to work if a business license in an apartment is suitable since I have no foot traffic what so ever. I have read from one source that purchasing property would grant permanent residency but do not know what the minimum investment might be OR if I could find anything (not within in Dubai of course) that would be affordable for purposes of satisfying that requirement (if it's even true).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How inexpensive if a token business address and do they have "executive offices" there like they have in the U.S. where you share a common lobby and have your own 1 room locked office ?

Also, I'm sure the opinions on life there vary widely and there are other threads on this forum that I could be pointed in the direction to to read if possible.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is included in the RAK fees. There is also Virtuzone...but they charge monthly and you can use their office space in JBR. RAK ends up being cheaper and seems to be the preferred choice. However, all the business consulting ppl recommend them (as your lawyer did) because they are "agents" for them.

Read the stickies and do some searches...great information on this forum.

How inexpensive if a token business address and do they have "executive offices" there like they have in the U.S. where you share a common lobby and have your own 1 room locked office ?

Also, I'm sure the opinions on life there vary widely and there are other threads on this forum that I could be pointed in the direction to to read if possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man I'm just not up on the abbreviations and the lingo being a newbie to the forum and lay of the land there. What is RAK, JBR and "the stickies" ? Anyone else that can add more also ....... Thanks. This forum seems to be fairly active.

It is included in the RAK fees. There is also Virtuzone...but they charge monthly and you can use their office space in JBR. RAK ends up being cheaper and seems to be the preferred choice. However, all the business consulting ppl recommend them (as your lawyer did) because they are "agents" for them.

Read the stickies and do some searches...great information on this forum.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Stickies are at the top of the main dubai forum page.

RAK is Ras Al Khaima. Its a different emirate/town in the mountains (kind of).

JBR is a an area in dubai.

You can set up your own free company and do not have to go thru an agent who will charge you probly way too much...

N

·
0 Posts
Stickies are at the top of the main dubai forum page.

RAK is Ras Al Khaima. Its a different emirate/town in the mountains (kind of).

JBR is a an area in dubai.

You can set up your own free company and do not have to go thru an agent who will charge you probly way too much...
Yes, that way the OP could use the money saved to pay what he owes in alimony :D

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Again, I would imagine that as we do not know each other and the personal circumstances, we should probably refrain from passing judgement on others. I think this was discussed ad nauseum in another thread as well

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm curious - Do you want to set up an actual trading company to do business ? or setting up a pretend company to get a visa ? If it is the later how are you going to live here - it's not cheap. Why not just head down to South America,much cheaper. Or Thailand, Philipines etc.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

(begin quote)

(end quote and reply)

There is no such thing as permanent residency or expats. You used to be able to get a 3 year residency visa if you purchased property but that stopped about 4 years ago. Now all you would get is a 6 month visit visa if you own property.

N

·
0 Posts
Again, I would imagine that as we do not know each other and the personal circumstances, we should probably refrain from passing judgement on others. I think this was discussed ad nauseum in another thread as well
Which thread? I'll have a look at it

I wasn't passing judgment, it was just an idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a highly intelligent group. I'm curious what you think of the following postulation as relates to my original post and the subsequent comments.

One method to obtain justice and what is fair may seem a little less than ethical. However, when your partner (and or rulers) refuse to honor their oath (including oath of office) and totally disregard their promise to uphold what is moral (or the Constitution) and remake their own morality (or pass onerous laws that are without merit and harmful to welfare of the people) then you are justified to do what you must if your actions do not harm others. (end of postulation)

Read that complex (but properly punctuated) postulation twice if it suits you. If you reply to voice your comment on my postulation, I would by most appreciative if you would take the time to also share your comment on the latest reply from the law offices which follow after this paragraph. Some of what the law office writes is consistent with other comments by this forums members within this thread. IMHO this goes to show how the advise given here is mostly accurate (at least for this first thread of mine so far).

(Begin latest reply from law office)
Dear Abaco- When you come over here for signing the Lease Ageement for Office space, you can immediately apply for your Visa, which we would be able to get for you within 10 or lesser days. You have to then have a Medical Test and Finger Print taken by the Police Authorities, after which you can apply for your Residence Visa. You can also make necessary payment and get your Visa status amended, due to this reason there would not arise a need for your returning back to your Country.
We would try to obtain a Deskspace for you which if available would have an Annual Lease Rent of AED 5,000/- only. Taking an Office space within the locality of the Free Zone Authorities is compulsory, if you want Visa to be issued in the name of the Company you propose to incorporate. Please let us know whether you are really interested in doing Business, if so what is the nature of Business that you would be interested in. On your clarifying the same, we can intimate you the likely amount that it would cost you. (end latest reply from law office)

So....I am curious to know from this group if those statements are accurate. In addition to your comments in general, I would also specifically like to find out if is possible to confirm whether I'll be granted a Visa given the fact that there is a warrant out for my arrest in the US. Does a background or so called "security check" pick that up and would they deny my application ? Is the fingerprint matched against US fingerprint database or just for the local database moving forward and within UAE ? Unfortunately I find myself having to be concerned with this matter.

I realize that some will feel compelled to say things that are judgmental but that is an build in hazard of coming forward and seeking answers on a public forum such as this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.