Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be moving to germany in september. I have a valid UAE driving license & also have got an international driving license permit which is in arabic that allows me to drive in most of the EU countries + US + UK

I'd like to know on arrival in Germany if i can take a rent a car on the basis of my UAE driving license + the arabic International driving license - It has some details in english also as well as arabic.

Please help.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
In a word NO. The International permit should have all different languages - not just Arabic - that's the point. The International permit is accepted because it should also be written in German. But you cannot use your UAE license, as it's not written in German, nor is it an EU license.

PS - if your other driving permit is ONLY written in Arabic, that's NOT an International permit. An International permit is written in about 20 different languages.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
You can hire a car in Europe on your standard UAE licence - we do it all the time and just arrived back from Croatia yesterday having hired a car there on our UAE licence.
Some countries require you to have an IDP - International Driving Permit (Sri Lanka, for instance) - these you can get from any UAE post office by taking in your UAE licence plus a photo and paying a fee.
The IDP is valid for a year and is like a booklet and is written in many languages.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi,
You can hire a car in Europe on your standard UAE licence - we do it all the time and just arrived back from Croatia yesterday having hired a car there on our UAE licence.
Some countries require you to have an IDP - International Driving Permit (Sri Lanka, for instance) - these you can get from any UAE post office by taking in your UAE licence plus a photo and paying a fee.
The IDP is valid for a year and is like a booklet and is written in many languages.
Cheers
Steve
If I am correct, the cost is 200-300AED for a year. The IDP looks like a passport.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hi,
Cheers
Steve
Not all countries you can't. Germany is one of them that you can't use your UAE license. Trust me I've tried. Also Bulgaria won't accept it either. In the UK they only accept the UAE drivers license because it's written in English as well as Arabic.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Not all countries you can't. Germany is one of them that you can't use your UAE license. Trust me I've tried. Also Bulgaria won't accept it either. In the UK they only accept the UAE drivers license because it's written in English as well as Arabic.
I hired a car in Germany with my UAE license..... I sure hope it was legal - it was a large car hire firm so most likely not illegal

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I hired a car in Germany with my UAE license..... I sure hope it was legal - it was a large car hire firm so most likely not illegal
All my guys use their UAE driving licence when hiring cars when back home in the UK.

The fines may follow them but any points don't :D

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
All my guys use their UAE driving licence when hiring cars when back home in the UK.

The fines may follow them but any points don't :D
Hi,
In fact - you can legally only use your UAE licence when driving as a visitor back in the UK.
When we got our UAE licences by swapping our UK ones - in theory, the RTA are supposed to take your UK licence from you and send it back to the UK DVLA - literally a licence swap.
In practice, you get to keep both - but I always use my UAE one when hiring cars abroad.
Regarding traffic offences in the UK. If you get caught by a camera - then the hire company will automatically deduct the fine plus an admin charge from the credit card that you used when booking the car.
If you get stopped by a police patrol and they want to prosecute you - then under new powers they will actually take money from you at the roadside (like the French police have been doing for years!)
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hmmm I tried and was told not. So hubby ended up doing all the driving. Weird. Maybe because I was trying to hire a bike and not a car.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Hi,
In fact - you can legally only use your UAE licence when driving as a visitor back in the UK.
When we got our UAE licences by swapping our UK ones - in theory, the RTA are supposed to take your UK licence from you and send it back to the UK DVLA - literally a licence swap.
In practice, you get to keep both - but I always use my UAE one when hiring cars abroad.
Regarding traffic offences in the UK. If you get caught by a camera - then the hire company will automatically deduct the fine plus an admin charge from the credit card that you used when booking the car.
If you get stopped by a police patrol and they want to prosecute you - then under new powers they will actually take money from you at the roadside (like the French police have been doing for years!)
Cheers
Steve
Steve - Where have you seen about cash fines at the roadside in the U.K. ? .... there are new fine scales for speeding which are potentially very high but haven't seen anything about Cash ?

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Steve - Where have you seen about cash fines at the roadside in the U.K. ? .... there are new fine scales for speeding which are potentially very high but haven't seen anything about Cash ?

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties
Just found it on the CPS site :) .... interesting ! .... although it's a deposit (to make sure you pay) rather than a fine and has to be returned with interest if the matter is not pursued or you are successful in a challenge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a policeman told me that if I am registered as resident abroad and I hold a UAE license, I can not use my Italian driving license in Italy, unless it is an international type. I should use the uae one. Strange rule.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
a policeman told me that if I am registered as resident abroad and I hold a UAE license, I can not use my Italian driving license in Italy, unless it is an international type. I should use the uae one. Strange rule.
The policeman was correct!
That's because the UAE operates a licence swap system with many countries - including Italy.
You were supposed to hand in your Italian licence in exchange for a UAE one (and the UAE authorities were supposed to send your Italian licence back to the Italian authorities).
In practice, you keep both - but as a UAE resident - you must use your UAE licence whenever you visit Italy, until you cancel your UAE residence visa.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Steve .... I'm not doubting what you say and I fully understand that you are supposed to use your UAE license in your home country but where is it published that the RTA are meant to 'swap' your license and take the old one ?

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Steve .... I'm not doubting what you say and I fully understand that you are supposed to use your UAE license in your home country but where is it published that the RTA are meant to 'swap' your license and take the old one ?
It's just how it is.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
It's just how it is.
Says who ? :) .... RTA certainly don't mention anywhere that I've found about taking your home license from you and posting it back to the DVLA .... all they say is you must drive on a UAE license.

Some countries may in fact let their citizens keep their home license (I have no idea but it's possible)

With respect the only place I've seen that written is by you.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Says who ? :) .... RTA certainly don't mention anywhere that I've found about taking your home license from you and posting it back to the DVLA .... all they say is you must drive on a UAE license.

Some countries may in fact let their citizens keep their home license (I have no idea but it's possible)

With respect the only place I've seen that written is by you.
If you read my original post carefully - you will notice that I said - in theory they are supposed to send your licence to the UK - but in practice they don't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts