Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they normally dubbed into Spanish or do they have subtitles in Spanish and the English soundtrack?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Both. Normally. I assume you mean DVD's bought here.

Often dubbed into Portuguese too and depending on the distributor up to 20 or so different subtitles.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both. Normally. I assume you mean DVD's bought here.

Often dubbed into Portuguese too and depending on the distributor up to 20 or so different subtitles.
I should have said I was referring to films shown in the cinema.....Just got an urge to go, haven't been to the cinema for over two years...
Thanks anyway.

·
Administrator
36,223 Posts
I should have said I was referring to films shown in the cinema.....Just got an urge to go, haven't been to the cinema for over two years...
Thanks anyway.
ah - in our local cinema they are usually dubbed, unless it specifies VO, in which case there are usually subtitles in spanish

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
ah - in our local cinema they are usually dubbed, unless it specifies VO, in which case there are usually subtitles in spanish
Yes, you need to look for VO in the paper or internet or where ever you're looking to see what films are on.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Now all I need to do is find something worth the effort of going to see on the big screen, rather than on Sky Movies.:)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My daughter went to see the latest blockbuster "Avatar" at the weekend - its apparently amazing and not just a "kiddie movie"??? Just a thought lol

I'll get me coat

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,223 Posts
My daughter went to see the latest blockbuster "Avatar" at the weekend - its apparently amazing and not just a "kiddie movie"??? Just a thought lol

I'll get me coat

Jo xxx
the OH & both the kids have seen it & think it's brilliant - not my sort of thing though

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
the OH & both the kids have seen it & think it's brilliant - not my sort of thing though
IMHO...

The effects are good, but not as good as in IMAX cinemas.

The story is a mix of Dancing with Wolves (one of the few good films Kevin Costner has made) - boy meets girl and totally intergrates into new culture for love - and The Mission - you end up fighting against your own culture, and patriots to save your adopted, underdog, tribe/ way of life. All in a science fiction setting.

I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but OH lapped it up!!

·
Administrator
36,223 Posts
IMHO...

The effects are good, but not as good as in IMAX cinemas.

The story is a mix of Dancing with Wolves (one of the few good films Kevin Costner has made) - boy meets girl and totally intergrates into new culture for love - and The Mission - you end up fighting against your own culture, and patriots to save your adopted, underdog, tribe/ way of life. All in a science fiction setting.

I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but OH lapped it up!!
I like both of those films - & some scifi - but the clips I saw of Avatar left me cold

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I went shopping while Ruby and her friend watched the film - much more fun!!! Plaza Mayor!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I prefer films with 'real' actors. Most films are on Sky Movies within eighteen months of release so it's got to be a really good film to encourage me to make the effort of dressing up, getting out the car etc. etc.
Films come out so quickly on DVD for 10 -15 euros or so too.
A film that really disappointed me was 'Mama Mia' although I can watch anything with Meryl Streep (even 'The Devil Wears Prada').;)
'West Side Story'.......now that's the definitive musical, even though it's forty years old.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I prefer films with 'real' actors. Most films are on Sky Movies within eighteen months of release so it's got to be a really good film to encourage me to make the effort of dressing up, getting out the car etc. etc.
Films come out so quickly on DVD for 10 -15 euros or so too.
A film that really disappointed me was 'Mama Mia' although I can watch anything with Meryl Streep (even 'The Devil Wears Prada').;)
'West Side Story'.......now that's the definitive musical, even though it's forty years old.
You might like "It's Complicated" and "Julie & Julia" then - the plot of "It's Complicated" was anything but, really - rather predictable, but both very enjoyable movies. Saw "Up in the air" last night with George Clooney. Very good.:D

xx

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You might like "It's Complicated" and "Julie & Julia" then - the plot of "It's Complicated" was anything but, really - rather predictable, but both very enjoyable movies. Saw "Up in the air" last night with George Clooney. Very good.:D

xx
Yes, I've seen traliers of those on Sky. Both look good.
Meryl Streep is living proof that there is life for Hollywwood stars after 40. When you consider the range of roles she has played superbly....... Her talent for comedy has given her a new career boost although she can still do 'serious'.
The only role I've seen her in where I wasn't too sure was that of the nun Sister Aloysius in 'Doubt'. But then I wasn't too sure of the film as a whole.
George Clooney is another actor who rarely if ever disappoints. My favourite is Good Night and Good Luck' which I believe he directed or produced or both.
Did you see the recent anti-war films with MS, 'Rendition' and 'Lions for Lambs'?
Both brilliant and surprisingly critical for American movies about war.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.