Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try for a Spanish retirement visa here in the U.S. very soon. I have read conflicting stories on the likelihood of being granted a retirement visa. Does anyone from the United States now living in Spain on a retirement visa have any comments?
Thank you.
Barbara:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Consider the Canary Islands, we have the best climate in the world, I am informed, and are on the same latitude as Florida. :)

Not being from your side of the pond I am unable to assist with the Visa.

Good luck with your venture, photos on the link below of where I live.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My wife and I are also US citizens but my wife is also German. This qualified us as EU citizens. We do however have a friend here from Alaska who is on a retirement visa that went through the Spanish Consulate in San Francisco with little difficulty. Keep in mind that what we considered incompetence in the U.S. Is status quo here.
1. Have aposhilas of all your documents you will need as near your consulate appointment as possible because they are only good for 90 days.
2. Have certified original birth and marriage certificates
3. Have Spanish translations of everything done by a Spanish government certified translator. The same who provides you with the aposhilla?
4. Make sure you have all the required income and health coverage.

I strongly suggest you get Sanitas basic healthcare coverage then drop it after a year here for convenio especial (state healthcare co érase)

We did a few driving j trips to áreas of Spain we liked best. We are mountain liking people so picked Northern Spain in the Pyrenees. The country is very diverse. Beach, mountain, tropical, subtropical. Real estate is different here so rent before you buy. We own a flat here now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts