Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the forum recently & was hoping that someone could answer a couple of questions.

I'm planning a trip to the states in June & my Florida driver's license has expired. Will I be able to drive in North Carolina, South Carolina & Tennessee using my French driver's license or will I have to get an International one?

My American passport will expire in February 2014, but my wife & I want to get our plane tickets right now to get the best prices possible. Is it going to be a problem if I order the tickets now? My wife seems to think there might be because you have to give your passport number when buying the tickets & that number will change when I get the new passport. I'd hate to try & board the plane and then get denied because the passport numbers are different.

·
Administrator
49,988 Posts
OK, to answer your first question, yes you can drive in the US on your French driving license. You can even rent a car with it. The "international license" is really nothing more than a standardized translation of your license terms. Handy to show the nice officer if he wants to see your license and doesn't speak French, but not absolutely necessary.

If you are buying your tickets online, you can use your current passport number for the formalities, and then go back after you have your new passports and update the information. If you're buying through a travel agent, just explain the situation and update the passport numbers with them once you have your new passports. (OTOH, best to renew your passports sooner rather than later. If the government shuts down again in February, it could take a bit longer than usual to get your new passports back. "Losing" a couple of months on a 10 year passport really isn't worth the aggro of wondering whether you'll get the new passports back in time.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the informative & quick response. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of another government shutdown, but it is highly likely that another one could happen. I'm going to try & get the new passport as soon as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.