Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so I'll try my best to write in a way that makes sense!

I've currently been dating my GF for coming up to a year now.

Unfortunately her visa is coming to an end.

I'm 100% up for moving to America to carry this relationship on. We have been browsing visa options and it looks like K1 is our best bet.

If we were to get engaged, I'm assuming she would have to go ahead of me in terms of moving over. My big question is what is the success rate of us being accepted for such visa? (I have no criminal record and I am healthy)

Our other option is to get married and go with the spouse visa. However by the time we get round to that I'm assuming we will need to marry In a neutral country (she's phillipino so there's where we had in mind)However will this effect how it looks on paper? Although we have all the pictures and info to back it up.

Is one a safer bet than the other?

Any help would be amazing!

Cheers.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Why do you think you'd need to get married in a neutral country? Is she a US citizen? (I assume so, if you're looking at a K1 visa.) It may involve some time apart, but that's more or less unavoidable.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for a neutral country was incase her visa ran out before we got a chance to do it?

Is the success rate of a K1 visa high?

Is there other ways that we haven't thought about?

Thanks for your replies!

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
OK - but as long as she has US Citizenship, you can always get married in the US, then you return to the UK while the paperwork is being processed. It's not ideal, but it will work. However, she needs to find a job or other means of support so she can sponsor your visa/green card - or she needs to find a co-sponsor who can cover the financial requirement.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies by the way.

So could I get a holiday visa, marry her there and then return whilst it gets sorted?

However If I got the k-1 visa would I be able to stay while the paperwork is being done?

Is that how it works?

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks for the replies by the way.

So could I get a holiday visa, marry her there and then return whilst it gets sorted?

However If I got the k-1 visa would I be able to stay while the paperwork is being done?

Is that how it works?

Thanks again
Travel.state.gov is an official site which gives you details from soup to nuts from form to fee on CR1 and K1 including flow charts and time lines. Either one seems to run around 12 months plus.

As UK citizen you are eligible to use ESTA/VWP to enter the US for up to 90 days. Yes, you can get married on ESTA/VWP. You will return to the UK within your allotted stay and she will get the ball rolling.

K1 - you stay in the UK while she gets the ball rolling, once your petition is through the process you enter the US, get married within 90 days and adjust your status.

As you have not given the expiration of her visa I cannot speculate if you can still go the route of Direct Consular Filing in the UK which is the fastest option.

You are in the honey moon phase right now but I form yourself about divorces of marriages entered in the Phillipines to a Philipino.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. I'll get on that site asap.

It looks like K-1 is our best option!

Just one last question. When on the K-1 after having got married. Do I have to leave the country to change my status? Would that take long?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Awesome. I'll get on that site asap.

It looks like K-1 is our best option!

Just one last question. When on the K-1 after having got married. Do I have to leave the country to change my status? Would that take long?
You cannot leave the US until AoS is approved. You have to apply for
Parole papers to leave in case of an emergency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts