Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a new ruling on the age of tyres to pass the ITV. Our neighbour says it's now a maximum of 4 years but that seems a little early to us. We at looking to buy a motorhome with 7 year old tyres and would like them changing before we buy but the vendor says the manufacturer's recommendations are up to 10 years. The motorhome will need an ITV in December and we don't want a fail if we buy and have to fork out 600 Euros approx for 4 tyres (they are very expensive for a van). We had a blow out earlier this year with a 6 year old tyre and so are being more careful this time.

Thanks for any info.

Jaws101

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi

Like a lot of things, it depends who you get on the day - I´ve known an examiner to miss something - they are human after all. But normally they will check the tyres are of the right specification for the vehicle - I have heard that tyres should be less than four years old, but have never encountered that as a reason for failing them - yet

Davexf

·
Registered
915 Posts
I know someone who has done just 10,000 kilometres in 5 years. After 4 years his tyres would be better than most cars after 1 year!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you prove the age of tyres - are they date stamped or are we supposed to keep invoices?
Tyres are date stamped from manufacture, not fitting, so could be up to a year old before fitting.

Jaws101

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
there should be a date of manufacture in an elongated oval on the sidewalls. Like 3809 or 4108 , with the first 2 numbers being week of manufacture & second 2 the year. not all makers comply with this & it can be hard to work out on those.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Another Spanish grey area by the sounds of it :smash:.
A couple of months ago I put one of our cars through the ITV at Guadalhorse. It passed OK but they were discussing and looking at sidewalls of the rear tyres for ages due to them being quite old (I think the writing & dates had worn away :tape2: - at least the tread was fine). I have no idea how old the rears are - maybe 8 to 9 years.

They still passed the car but said I should change the rear tyres in the near future.......

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tyre sidewalls do deteriorate over time and especially if they are exposed for long periods to high levels of uv light... it's a sort of skin cancer for sidewalls. Also when it comes to RV's and M/H's flat spots develop when left parked for long periods.
We had an American Yank-Tank Chevvy Allegro 30ft M/H with what appeared at first glance to be 'as new tyres'. On our very first trial UK trip from Portsmouth to Oxford the sidewall on the outer rear o/s tyre blew out on the A34 south of Oxford.
We had to call a truck tyre company to fit the spare because the jack supplied with the vehicle wasn't man enough for the job! The tyre company charged us £90 for the callout and to fit our own spare tyre.
The following day I took the vehicle into a local National truck tyre place for a report on the tyres. Despite appearances, the tyres were all at least ten years old and the sidewalls were all knackered. The vehicle had spent at least five years parked on a residential camp site on the CDS before being taken to England.
Replacement tyres, all 7 of them cost a little under £2000.
Regarding tyres and the ITV, tyres should meet the type, size and speed code classification specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle and reproduced on the Tecnica Ficha. It has been widely reported that ITV stations in some areas are rejecting tyres over four years old irrespective of their condition because of the uv blight.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I said earlier we had the same happen to us this summer. We changed the two front tyres before we left Spain as the tread was quite worn, but we had a blowout in Scotland with one of our back tyres that looked OK and the garage said looked OK and was only six years old. This was on a motorhome that we have just sold. We don't want to have to pay out again for tyres on the motorhome we want to buy (these were manufactured in 2005), and even if they pass an ITV we are still wary after our close call. We will have another talk with the vendor before we buy.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
As I said earlier we had the same happen to us this summer. We changed the two front tyres before we left Spain as the tread was quite worn, but we had a blowout in Scotland with one of our back tyres that looked OK and the garage said looked OK and was only six years old. This was on a motorhome that we have just sold. We don't want to have to pay out again for tyres on the motorhome we want to buy (these were manufactured in 2005), and even if they pass an ITV we are still wary after our close call. We will have another talk with the vendor before we buy.
Tell the seller its a new set of boots or no deal. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts