Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

After reading the experience of others and long visa processing times, I realise how much planning I and my boyfriend need to do! I am looking for advice on visa types to apply for please, I have been on the UKBA website but I am still lacking in understanding.

My boyfriend recently had a visitor visa refused to come to the UK for two weeks for a holiday from Egypt on the grounds that as I had not provided proof of employment (but had provided proof of the entire two weeks already booked and paid for, along with 5k savings from him and his employment details etc) and Egypt has instability, so the ECO's judgement was he would not return to Egypt at the end of his proposed holiday.

I did ask if I had booked for literally every single thing to the penny, incuding flights (cancellable with fee), pre-paid cards for food, theatre tickets etc and showed spending money along with reason for return to Egypt if I would still need to show proof of employment, but now I think I should be looking more long term as if the visitor visa is this complex, I need to get organised for the future.

I have been with my boyfriend for just over two years. I have stayed with him in Egypt frequently, some periods of three months consecutively or just three days at a time if that is all I could get off work. The longest period we have been apart is three months and two days in the whole two years but normally no more than between four and eight weeks. We speak on Skype videochat nearly every day for a period of several hours and email/ text etc.

Based on looking at the future of our relationship after refusal of the visitor visa, if my boyfriend and I want to get married/ live together in the UK in future, it looks like even once I meet the income requirement after I finish study that we won't be eligible for fiance visa as we will not have lived together in Egypt for a period of two years.

Please can someone advise me on what which visa would be best for long term stay when we have not lived together for a period of two years? Our first goal is the visitor visa for just two weeks, which we are going to give another shot but after that, which visa should we be looking at?

I will meet the financial requirement of income for sponsorship in the next year, we will have somewhere to live etc but I don't know what we're supposed to do if we need to have lived together for two years and I want to try to start getting everything we would need set up now to make it more smooth when we do apply for a longer-than-two-week visa (if we can!).

Any advice about what is best to do is greatly appreciated. :playball:

·
Super Moderator
18,067 Posts
Hi.

After reading the experience of others and long visa processing times, I realise how much planning I and my boyfriend need to do! I am looking for advice on visa types to apply for please, I have been on the UKBA website but I am still lacking in understanding.

My boyfriend recently had a visitor visa refused to come to the UK for two weeks for a holiday from Egypt on the grounds that as I had not provided proof of employment (but had provided proof of the entire two weeks already booked and paid for, along with 5k savings from him and his employment details etc) and Egypt has instability, so the ECO's judgement was he would not return to Egypt at the end of his proposed holiday.

I did ask if I had booked for literally every single thing to the penny, incuding flights (cancellable with fee), pre-paid cards for food, theatre tickets etc and showed spending money along with reason for return to Egypt if I would still need to show proof of employment, but now I think I should be looking more long term as if the visitor visa is this complex, I need to get organised for the future.

I have been with my boyfriend for just over two years. I have stayed with him in Egypt frequently, some periods of three months consecutively or just three days at a time if that is all I could get off work. The longest period we have been apart is three months and two days in the whole two years but normally no more than between four and eight weeks. We speak on Skype videochat nearly every day for a period of several hours and email/ text etc.

Based on looking at the future of our relationship after refusal of the visitor visa, if my boyfriend and I want to get married/ live together in the UK in future, it looks like even once I meet the income requirement after I finish study that we won't be eligible for fiance visa as we will not have lived together in Egypt for a period of two years.
This is a requirement for an unmarried partner visa. It is not a requirement for a fiance visa.

Please can someone advise me on what which visa would be best for long term stay when we have not lived together for a period of two years? Our first goal is the visitor visa for just two weeks, which we are going to give another shot but after that, which visa should we be looking at?

I will meet the financial requirement of income for sponsorship in the next year, we will have somewhere to live etc but I don't know what we're supposed to do if we need to have lived together for two years and I want to try to start getting everything we would need set up now to make it more smooth when we do apply for a longer-than-two-week visa (if we can!).

Any advice about what is best to do is greatly appreciated. :playball:
If you meet the financial, accommodation and relationship requirements, a fiance visa allows your partner to come to the UK to marry which you must do within 6 months. He will not be able to work during this period. After you are married, you apply for FLR (M) which is further leave to remain as a spouse. The same financial, accommodation and relationship requirements apply although since you will be married you will require a little less relationship proof. After he has received FLR he will be allowed to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nyclon. On the UKBA finace visa page it says something about relationships being genuine and subsiding and "you should be able to show that you...are living together with a partner" as part of a bullet point check list - that is what confused me. So we actually don't need to show that we are living together if we want to apply for fiance visa in future?

Also, would we be able to submit the same evidence for the spouse visa as for the fiance visa, just up-to-date with payslips and bank statements?

·
Super Moderator
18,067 Posts
Thanks nyclon. On the UKBA finace visa page it says something about relationships being genuine and subsiding and "you should be able to show that you...are living together with a partner" as part of a bullet point check list - that is what confused me. So we actually don't need to show that we are living together if we want to apply for fiance visa in future?
No. It also says that you share responsibility for raising a child. The important things are that you have been to each other's country, you intend to live together in the UK and you are in a long-term relationship. Other ways include living together (perhaps you are living abroad together), joint responsibilities (again if you are living abroad together) and sharing responsibilities for raising a child.

Also, would we be able to submit the same evidence for the spouse visa as for the fiance visa, just up-to-date with payslips and bank statements?
Basically. Depending on how old some of your other documents are you may want to get them updated as well. You'll also include your marriage certificate and some photos from the wedding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi the 2 years referred to is for applying under the unmarried partner Rules. However for a fiancee visa application you have to show that you have met each other - photograph of you together, that you intend to marry and live together permanently as husband and wife - all evidence of contact, then that you meet the financial requirement and accommodation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.