Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings one and all.

My wife and I are planing on permanently relocating to Mexico from Oregon in the USA. We are planning on doing this in 2 years. Is that a realistic timeline to get all the documentation handled, sell our house, get rid of unnecessary belongings etc? It is just the two of us, no kids. We have a dog, 2 cats and a Senegal parrot (the bird may or may not make the trip. She's old). Do we need to plan on a longer time frame? Can we do it sooner?:eek::fingerscrossed:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts
Greetings one and all.

My wife and I are planing on permanently relocating to Mexico from Oregon in the USA. We are planning on doing this in 2 years. Is that a realistic timeline to get all the documentation handled, sell our house, get rid of unnecessary belongings etc? It is just the two of us, no kids. We have a dog, 2 cats and a Senegal parrot (the bird may or may not make the trip. She's old). Do we need to plan on a longer time frame? Can we do it sooner?:eek::fingerscrossed:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like plenty of time to me. The documentation can be a pain but it really doesn't take much time, months not years. Same for selling a house. It generally takes a lot longer to decide what you want to do than it does to do it, once you have made a decision.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts
Specifically, what documentation takes months?
You submit an application for residency (temporary or permanent) to a consulate, they give you some paperwork, you enter Mexico. Then after finding a place to live, you go to the local immigration office and they issue you a visa. Each step is quick, but it will be a month or more from start to finish.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Birds can live a very long time in captivity so she may surprise you . If a friend can take her she may be better off staying behind as I have heard it was not easy to bring birds and then you cannot take them back to the US if you move back. I have friends wo had big birds and gave them to a friend as they were not able to bring them..
Follow the rules for Dogs and cats, that part is easy..

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think two years should be plenty of time for you to do all you need to do.

I saw your list of 4 finalist cities in your post in the Introduction thread. Could I ask what put Leon on that list? We lived for 5 years in Guanajuato capital and needed to make trips to Leon regularly and we couldn't wait to get out of there each time. What is it that puts Leon on your list of finalists?

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts
I think two years should be plenty of time for you to do all you need to do.

I saw your list of 4 finalist cities in your post in the Introduction thread. Could I ask what put Leon on that list? We lived for 5 years in Guanajuato capital and needed to make trips to Leon regularly and we couldn't wait to get out of there each time. What is it that puts Leon on your list of finalists?
Maybe they're really into shoes. ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Two years is plenty of time, I did all that in a year. Start with passports. Assuming you're US citizens, do you have passports and how much longer are they valid for? If you are going to need to get them for the first time or renew them, get that process going, it's slow, unless you pay extra money to rush it. But you have time, so start now and save the rush money.

After your passports are in order, you have time to schedule a vacation where you scope out a place and just look around and do some "lookie-lou" house hunting (pretending to be real customers when you actually are just checking out prices and seeing what you can get for how much)

Meet with a realtor, let them walk through your house and get a feeling for what kind of realtor they are. Whether you want to use them or not, get their list of fixups so you can plan. Interview a couple of prospective realtors and merge their fixup lists and throw out the silly ones. Some things are easiest to do all at once after you're out of the house, like painting, some repairs you can do one by one as you get ready. Gonna need a new roof? New gutters? Outside painting? These things have a "right" order to be done in.

You've got time to subscribe to one of those yard services and pump the grass full of chemicals and get it really lush and green if you want to go that route. Or use less effective but more environmentally friendly lawn-drugs. It will pay back the investment unless you've been obsessive about your lawn care. You can get some pruning done in the right season and have time for it to grow back out and not look like you just whacked everything to sell the place.

Houses sell best in the sweet-spot selling periods for your area, ask the realtor about that, but it's generally May-August. If you aim for March 2019 you'll have time for some (inevitable) schedule slippage.

De-junking is the hardest slowest part.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You submit an application for residency (temporary or permanent) to a consulate, they give you some paperwork, you enter Mexico.

Then after finding a place to live, you go to the local immigration office and they issue you a visa. Each step is quick, but it will be a month or more from start to finish.
I am planning to do exactly this. Questions:

1) I've read you have limited time between when you enter Mexico with a pre-approved TR, and when you need to go to the local immigration office. Like maybe 30 days? What if I don't find my place to live within the 30 days, ie. I am still living in a hotel. It will a hotel in Guadalajara, and my residence (for at least my first 4 months in MX) will be somewhere in Guad, so its not like where I ultimately end up will be far removed from the hotel.

2) I have been advised that the local immigration office within Mexico wants to see a copy of a lease, or property deed if you own property, as proof of the residential address you list when applying for a TR visa. What if I am living in an AirBnb (multi month commitment)? There won't be an actual lease, since its all internet-based. What will I be able to provide to my friends at Immigration to make them happy?

As always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

1) I've read you have limited time between when you enter Mexico with a pre-approved TR, and when you need to go to the local immigration office. Like maybe 30 days? What if I don't find my place to live within the 30 days, ie. I am still living in a hotel. It will a hotel in Guadalajara, and my residence (for at least my first 4 months in MX) will be somewhere in Guad, so its not like where I ultimately end up will be far removed from the hotel.

2) I have been advised that the local immigration office within Mexico wants to see a copy of a lease, or property deed if you own property, as proof of the residential address you list when applying for a TR visa. What if I am living in an AirBnb (multi month commitment)? There won't be an actual lease, since its all internet-based. What will I be able to provide to my friends at Immigration to make them happy?

Some posters on Expat sites have sucessfully used hotel reciepts as proof of residence with no problem. I suspect your local INM office understands people need time to find a place to live. I wouldn´t worry about it at all. INM rules state you have 90 days to go into your local INM to put in a change of address when moving.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts

For proof of residence, Mexican agencies want to see a utility bill. If the utility bills are not in your name, you can get the person whose name appears on the bill to write a letter stating that you are living in the space. Then submit the letter along with a copy of the bill as proof of residence.

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts
It's a Texas mega-supermarket chain.

I'm not seeing that as being any kind of solid reason to move to Leon. It's not terribly different from Mega or Chedraui.
I'm not from Texas, so no wonder I'd never heard of it. Not sure what Mega is either. I do most of my shopping at my local Superama and Sunday tianguis, with an occasional trip to Walmart or Soriana.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm not from Texas, so no wonder I'd never heard of it. Not sure what Mega is either. I do most of my shopping at my local Superama and Sunday tianguis, with an occasional trip to Walmart or Soriana.
Mega is the biggest (I believe) chain of gigantic supermarkets in Mexico. They bought up La Comercial, another big chain, a few years back so they are now a kind of mega-supermarket chain. They are all over CDMX, I'm surprised you don't know them. I get the impression that Superama is trying to play a Whole Foods type of role to be able to find a way to compete against the behemoth.

Personally, I prefer shopping at local markets too, but sometimes the "convenience monster" steps up and pulls you away, much as I hate to give in to it. They just don't have Huggies diapers at the local market...

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts
Mega is the biggest (I believe) chain of gigantic supermarkets in Mexico. They bought up La Comercial, another big chain, a few years back so they are now a kind of mega-supermarket chain. They are all over CDMX, I'm surprised you don't know them. I get the impression that Superama is trying to play a Whole Foods type of role to be able to find a way to compete against the behemoth.

Personally, I prefer shopping at local markets too, but sometimes the "convenience monster" steps up and pulls you away, much as I hate to give in to it. They just don't have Huggies diapers at the local market...
I don't have a car and prefer to do my daily shopping at stores I can walk to, which in my case is the Superama located 4 blocks from my apartment. I've never seen a Mega in the parts of Mexico City where I hang out. After living here for 10 years, I have adjusted my eating and other habits to what I can purchase locally, without spending time and energy battling the traffic and people to shop at humongous super-stores. To each her/his own, as the saying goes.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

Actually Mexicana Comercial owned 1/2 of Costco when Costco moved into Mexico and started to built their new Mega stores. This is over 12 years ago when they started building Megas instead of Mexicana Comericials. Some Mexicana Comercials they remodeled into Megas.

In the last 5 years they have sold their 1/2 share of Costco and in the last 1 1/2 years have sold about 750 Megas to Soriana and kept around 800 to 1000 Megas. They are debt ridden from building too many Megas to fast and not doing well compared to Walmart and Soriana in most locations. A sad story of mismanagement.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts