Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. Not sure how many people will find themselves in this position but maybe it's not as rare as I think. Basically my wife has two valid passports as just before applying for a settlement visa she changed her name to her married name from her maiden name. The maiden name passport was never cancelled and is valid until 2018. Her married name one is currently with UKVI as part of a settlement application. My question is this - can she travel as a visitor to the UK on a visitors visa on the basis of the maiden name passport? She would be entitiled to stay for the normal 6 months and there is a mechanism for a surrogate to recieve her returned documents and married passport once the settement visa is issued in her absence at the VAC. I am aware that she would then have to leave the UK and re-enter using her new visa and passport. If she does this, is she doing anything wrong in the eyes of the UKVI? In effect it is almost two different people as the names are different and so are the passport numbers as well as the GW xxx number issued. I'm hoping we won't have to resort to that but with only 6 days left until the official 60 days are up, I am thinking if they keep up the silence after that I may consider it. Anyone done this or heard of it done. No one says you can't actually travel, you just normally can't as they have your passport.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hmm, I am sure a mod would be better at answering this than I. I would think that would be a pretty costly thing to do as far as airfare and such go. Just personally speaking, i would wait to receive the new passport back from the UKVI. Saves you a boat load of money on a plane ticket there and back, then back again once she gets her visa. Have you received any word that they received the documentation? Was it priority or non-priority? If anything, I would consider upgrading to priority if you didn't go that route. It would speed things up a bit and then she can fly over with her settlement visa in hand and that would avoid any issues.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
They can still tell that two passports belong to the same person by checking biometrics and fingerprints - we live in the 21st century and different passport numbers, names etc can easily be overcome. To avoid any difficulties and problems at the UK border, I suggest you wait till you get your original passport back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, they can match finger prints I suppose. What I want to know is, is there anything wrong with that proposal. I haven't seen anywhere where it says you can't do it. She would be travelling on a valid visa. She is not breaking any laws. Who would know for sure UKVI and I have not been on speaking terms lately, ever actually :grinning:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I feel its definitely tricky...I would just wait. You have already gone through the waiting period for the visa. If anything as I mentioned earlier, consider upgrading to priority. Then she can come over with the visa and it wont cause any potential issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
True, they can match finger prints I suppose. What I want to know is, is there anything wrong with that proposal. I haven't seen anywhere where it says you can't do it. She would be travelling on a valid visa. She is not breaking any laws. Who would know for sure UKVI and I have not been on speaking terms lately, ever actually :grinning:
Is that passport in her maiden name actually valid? I thought that you had to have legitimate reasons to hold two passports at the same time: stamps from sensitive countries that would cause trouble for you or a need to travel while your passport is held up. It sounds like the latter would apply but at kind of a stretch as she'd only travel now because you happen to have two passports, not that you're applying for a second because she needs to travel. (I might not make sense...I haven't had coffee yet.)

I've gotten a replacement passport before the one I held at the time expired, but the old one was returned to me with holes punched in it...Very curious about this! I'd be surprised if you can just have multiple passports including one in a name that isn't legally yours anymore. (Though I do think there's a grace period when you change your name before you have to change your passport.)

The more I type the less sense I think I'm making so I'll go have that coffee!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Although for what it's worth I think this is a bad idea and should you get flagged up it might cause serious problems. (Remember that she still has to apply down the line for FLM, they'll see that she visited the country while an application was pending and that might not look good.) It sounds like your wait has been really taxing but you are probably at the tail end of it! Wishing you luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, yeah I don't want to rock the boat that's for sure. But you tend to scrutinise every aspect of this process when your head has been held under water this long. This would be a very final resort for me and I would check with UKVI prior to even trying it. What worries me is what happens after 60 days? The next SLA is double that again at 120 days, not sure I could face that, might have to consider the continent or Ireland before the UK exits the EU.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Waiting that long must be tough...there is no doubt about that. Sorry you're going through this. They don't necessarily make the process simple. Maybe try sending an email to see what the hold up is? I'm not too sure what else to say...where is your wife applying from?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why was the passport not cancelled? If she has changed her name officially then attempting to use the old passport as a travel document will be deemed illegal, she then runs the risk of arrest/entry refusal and this will destroy any chance of getting a visa in her real name.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

Here's an interesting one.
Hi I have satuation I was have valid passport and I applied for new one cuse my picture was not good in passport and embassy give me notice to bring documents befor so I have friend in passport office I ask him help he told once they issued a new passport they make the old passport unactive even its will be valid but when they put for verification on computer thats will be not working not even Immigration border and in embassy too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.