Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
^ From NZ Transport Agency website. I don't see any mention of motorway driving restrictions. Maybe this would depend on how brave, or how nervous, your supervisor is!
Good luck with your driving - how do you think it compares to Singapore (I've holidayed there but not driven a vehicle)

What are the conditions of a learner licence?

• You must have your learner licence with you whenever you are driving.
  • You must not drive on your own. You must always be accompanied by a supervisor, who must always sit in the front passenger seat beside you.
  • If you are learning to ride a moped, you must not ride it between 10pm and 5am.
  • You must display L (learner) plates on the vehicle at all times when you are driving. Failure to display L plates could result in 25 demerit points and a fine of $100.
  • There's no law stopping you from carrying passengers in your car. However, if you do, your supervisor (who will, of course, be seated next to you in the vehicle) must agree to this. The supervisor is responsible for everyone in the vehicle and for what happens when you're driving.
  • There is a zero alcohol limit if you are under 20. That means if you drive after consuming even one drink you can be charged with drink driving. If you have an alcohol level of less than 150 micrograms per litre of breath and less than 30 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood you could be fined and given 50 demerit points. If your alcohol limit is higher, you could be disqualified from driving, given 50 demerit points and either fined or imprisoned.
  • If you're 20 or older, the legal alcohol limit is 400 micrograms per litre of breath or 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood.
  • Breaching the learner conditions of your driver licence (other than failing to display L plates) could result in you receiving 35 demerit points and a fine of $100. If you breach any other conditions of your driver licence you could receive 25 demerit points and be subject to a fine of $400.
and Stage 2 Restricted Licence

What are the conditions of a restricted licence?

• You must always have your restricted licence with you when you're driving.
  • You can drive on your own, but not between 10pm and 5am. If you drive between these times you must have a supervisor in the front passenger seat who holds a full New Zealand car licence with no supervisor condition, and has held it (or an equivalent overseas licence) for at least two years.
  • If you sat the restricted test in an automatic vehicle, your restricted licence will say that you can only drive automatic vehicles (unless accompanied by a supervisor).
  • You cannot normally carry passengers, unless you have a supervisor with you. The only passengers you can carry without a supervisor are:
  • your spouse, or the person you live with as if you were married or with whom you are joined in a civil union
  • children who live with you and are under the care of you or your spouse (that is, you or your spouse are their parent or guardian
  • your parent or guardian
  • relatives who live with you and who are on a social security benefit
  • someone you look after as their primary caregiver.
  • There is a zero alcohol limit if you are under 20. That means if you drive after consuming even one drink you can be charged with drink driving. If you have an alcohol level of less than 150 micrograms per litre of breath and less than 30 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood you could be fined and given 50 demerit points. If your alcohol limit is higher, you could be disqualified from driving, given 50 demerit points and either fined or imprisoned.
  • If you're 20 or older, the legal alcohol limit is 400 micrograms per litre of breath or 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood.
  • Breaching the restricted conditions of your driver licence could result in you receiving 35 demerit points and a fine of $100. If you breach any other conditions of your driver licence you could receive 25 demerit points and be subject to a fine of $400.
see also: New Zealand's driver licensing system

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks Song Si.

I thought so; that class 1 driver is allow to drive on the motorway. I look forward to doing that. I wasn't sure then when my partner(supervisor) asked me if I want to drive from Hamilton to Thames. :)

Over here, driving is necessity and privileges. Over in Singapore, its luxury and to show off their status; the bigger the car you drove means you're successful in life. The fact that in Singapore, you only allowed to drive a car that is less than 10yrs old. Buying a car in Singapore, I think I can make a down payment for a 5 bed room house over here. :)

Singapore is a small island (not sure why they call is a country), so there are lots of traffic lights for highways, primary and secondary roads that are link. Lots of drivers (at any age) would like to speed on the road. For me, I have never believed in driving back home cos the public transportation is ridiculously efficient and cheap. But over here, I have braved myself and built up courage to learn how to drive cos my work depend on it.

And yes, kiwis are friendly and courteous drivers. Well, no one horns at me yet. :)

I think over here is easier to pass; theory or practical as long as you respect and understand the rules and have the correct attitude of operating a car. Driving a car is to get us from point A to point B, so I cant comprehend why other drivers have to speed up or impatience while they are on the road. Anyway, in Singapore its not easy to pass theory or the practical tests, as the govt make it harder for 18yrs old to get their licence due to over populated 5.5million homosapiens in the island.
But it is cheaper to get a class 1 licence in Singapore. Basic and advanced theory is SGD6.00 per test. Practical lesson is SGD80.00 for 120 mins.(100hrs logged) Practical test is SGD20.00.

I still do take the public transportation or walk to the city here in Hamilton; doing my part for the environment. :)

So, I am happy and glad that I am taking driving licence in NZ. :)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
thanks Song Si.

I thought so; that class 1 driver is allow to drive on the motorway. I look forward to doing that. I wasn't sure then when my partner(supervisor) asked me if I want to drive from Hamilton to Thames. :)

Over here, driving is necessity and privileges. Over in Singapore, its luxury and to show off their status; the bigger the car you drove means you're successful in life. The fact that in Singapore, you only allowed to drive a car that is less than 10yrs old. Buying a car in Singapore, I think I can make a down payment for a 5 bed room house over here. :)

Singapore is a small island (not sure why they call is a country), so there are lots of traffic lights for highways, primary and secondary roads that are link. Lots of drivers (at any age) would like to speed on the road. For me, I have never believed in driving back home cos the public transportation is ridiculously efficient and cheap. But over here, I have braved myself and built up courage to learn how to drive cos my work depend on it.

And yes, kiwis are friendly and courteous drivers. Well, no one horns at me yet. :)

I think over here is easier to pass; theory or practical as long as you respect and understand the rules and have the correct attitude of operating a car. Driving a car is to get us from point A to point B, so I cant comprehend why other drivers have to speed up or impatience while they are on the road. Anyway, in Singapore its not easy to pass theory or the practical tests, as the govt make it harder for 18yrs old to get their licence due to over populated 5.5million homosapiens in the island.
But it is cheaper to get a class 1 licence in Singapore. Basic and advanced theory is SGD6.00 per test. Practical lesson is SGD80.00 for 120 mins.(100hrs logged) Practical test is SGD20.00.

I still do take the public transportation or walk to the city here in Hamilton; doing my part for the environment. :)

So, I am happy and glad that I am taking driving licence in NZ. :)
Hi Masibabes. I know why you ask about driving on motorways - it surprised me when I was learning here in 1976, as in the UK it was a definite no-no. But there are certain places here where if you couldn't drive on a motorway you wouldn't be able to get anywhere! Just take it easy, and you'll be fine. But be careful on SH2 - it can be a nasty road (I drive it every day and i still take it easy)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks a heap Topcat.

I will take it easy, slow and steady. Still trying not to look at the ctr rear view mirror when Im driving cos of feeling pressure when I see car behind me, unless i reverse from car park or driveway. Im practising driving with Rav4, so Im feeling more confident with small car and visibility. That too I've asked locals around about which car would suit learner like me (a foreign city gal) :)

Imagine if I have driven my partner's ute, crikey!!:eek:

I still got a long way to go, only logged 10hrs so far. Driving around the residential areas, to and fro supermarkets, and Hamilton city during off peak hours. Today Im learning parallel parking and probably the main road again. :eek:

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts