Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we are moving to Dubai in June. Can everyone tell me what they wish they would have done,bought,arranged two months prior to your move. We have a 15 year old daughter and 2 pups. We are keeping house in states and NOT renting it out.

Give me your thoughts on anything you can think of to add to my TO DO/TO BUY/TO REMEMBER list.

Thanks and I can't wait to meet some of you in person!:plane:

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Are you bringing your furniture with you? Either way you need to shop around for a good international remover for your personal items, no matter whether it's a container full or a few boxes.

Bring personal items that will have you feel at home - photographs, some pictures, favourite books & ornaments. Nice bedding etc. You will settle far quicker if you have your new house feel like a proper home.

If you are bringing electrical items then you will need transformers to use then in the UAE as the voltage is different.

I assume you are bringing your dog. You will need to investigate the arrangement sot bring him over. Are all has vaccinations up to date etc. You will nto be able to collect him this end until you have residency (I think) so you may need to arrange kennelling your end for a while.

Most items, or decent substitutes are available here, although sometimes randomly. It there are particular items that you simply cannot do without, then ask us if we've seen them so you know if you need to stock up.

Clothes are generally more expensive than in the US, so you'll save money by not buying too many whilst here.

Get all relevant documents attested before you leave.

Good luck & do ask about anything you want to know. :)

-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you bringing your furniture with you? Either way you need to shop around for a good international remover for your personal items, no matter whether it's a container full or a few boxes.

Bring personal items that will have you feel at home - photographs, some pictures, favourite books & ornaments. Nice bedding etc. You will settle far quicker if you have your new house feel like a proper home.

If you are bringing electrical items then you will need transformers to use then in the UAE as the voltage is different.

I assume you are bringing your dog. You will need to investigate the arrangement sot bring him over. Are all has vaccinations up to date etc. You will nto be able to collect him this end until you have residency (I think) so you may need to arrange kennelling your end for a while.

Most items, or decent substitutes are available here, although sometimes randomly. It there are particular items that you simply cannot do without, then ask us if we've seen them so you know if you need to stock up.

Clothes are generally more expensive than in the US, so you'll save money by not buying too many whilst here.

Get all relevant documents attested before you leave.

Good luck & do ask about anything you want to know. :)

-
What relevant docs? And do you mean notarized (attested?).

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Make sure you have a poa in place for anything that you might need. Even if you are not going to give them to the person and hold on to them, have them done prior to coming over.

Agree, bring the little stuff from home to make it feel like home.

If you are bringing the pets over yourself, check now about weather and if they will ship in April. Well, I guess regardless, check. Two months from now, the weather is not going to be ideal. You might run into some problems. Dont wait and then at the last minute and be stuck scrambling for someone to foster until you can get them over here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you have a poa in place for anything that you might need. Even if you are not going to give them to the person and hold on to them, have them done prior to coming over.

Agree, bring the little stuff from home to make it feel like home.

If you are bringing the pets over yourself, check now about weather and if they will ship in April. Well, I guess regardless, check. Two months from now, the weather is not going to be ideal. You might run into some problems. Dont wait and then at the last minute and be stuck scrambling for someone to foster until you can get them over here.
Let me know what you can think of in regards to "poa for anything that you might need". Can you give me some examples of the poa's you have in place.:clap2: Thanks Jynxgirl

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Like I have one for my parents with my vehicles/motorcycles. If I they get into an accident (they are being driven every so often), they will need to be released to them.

I did poa's for my storage unit so that my mother is able to make any changes necessary.

I did a poa for the electric, water, cable at home. My mother can go and have it turned back on prior to my return or if something should happen (busted pipes) she can then be there and handle it without complications.

I also have poa's for any medical issues for my pets that my vet suggested as in a just in case situation.

I also have a general poa for two seperate people that I have retained in my possession as just in cases if needed. I figure, if they are needed, I can send them overnight and just eat the charges in that emergency but didnt want them to just have general poa's to do anything and everything with, call me paranoid. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice Jynxgirl thanks! what documents do I need "attested" and do you mean notarized? My hubby's company is working with relocation service. I assume thy will know all docs necessary. Anything else you can think of let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.