Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am thinking of applying for NZ immigration but i am really confused due to my qualification and occupational mismatch. So i got a bachelors degree in telecommunication engineering (which comes under ICT) but i have a professional experience of around 6 years in Software Engineering (also comes under ICT but its a different degree).

Now both of these fields come in LTSS but because of the mismatch i am loosing lots of points or may be that is what i think. What i really want to know is that :

1) am i over thinking and over worrying over this ?

2) If not, then what assessment should i get from NZQA i.e. should i get an assessment for telecommunication engineering or software engineering ? Because eventually i want to go under the software engineering occupation.

3) If i apply for the assessment of Software Engineering based on the ICT courses i took and my experience, will i loose my work experience as happens in ACS ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Hi,

1) No I don't think you are. I think you have a genuine problem as your qualification and skills/experience do not match.

2) NZQA will assess the qualification as it is..... bachelors degree in telecommunication engineering. It won't magically be assessed as a software engineering degree ?

3) Don't see how you can apply for the qualification to be assessed as BE Software Engineering when it is BE Telecommunications Engineering ?
Skills/Experience isn't assessed in NZ like ACS for AUS immigration so you make the call whether or not you can claim the points. If you receive ITA then at this time you must provide the evidence to support the points claim. If you don't Immigration will notify you and your EOI points reduced which will lead to the EOI being placed back in the pool or removed completely.
Can't see how you can claim for the skills/experience years when your skills/experience doesn't match your qualification ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @escapedtonz thanks for the reply .... so you think that i should go without my work experience in the EOI ??? or should i take a leap of faith and rely on convincing the CO that the degree i studied can be used easily under the occupation i have work experience, after all i studied around 30 credit hrs of core IT courses ????

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Hi @escapedtonz thanks for the reply .... so you think that i should go without my work experience in the EOI ??? or should i take a leap of faith and rely on convincing the CO that the degree i studied can be used easily under the occupation i have work experience, after all i studied around 30 credit hrs of core IT courses ????
Sorry I cannot advise you which way to go. It's your EOI and your decision.
Without the additional points I expect you wouldn't have enough points that will ensure the EOI is selected ?
Maybe you should ring NZQA and seek help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts