Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do we need a tv licence when we get to cyprus and how much r they also whats the cost of sky in cyprus we have been told it is expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
do we need a tv licence when we get to cyprus and how much r they also whats the cost of sky in cyprus we have been told it is expensive.
Hi Ya,

No need for a TV license in Cyprus.

Sky is expensive in Cyprus as you need a large dish (2.5 Mtr to 4 Mtr depending on where on the island you are going to live) plus a digibox, you could of course share the cost of a dish with a neighbour and put a Quad LNB.
A WORD OF WARNING: If Sky know you are outside the U.K. and you are a subscriber they will switch you off.

I would recomend Nilesat which only needs an 85cm dish, is cheap and has quite a few english speaking channels that are FREE.

Hope this helps,

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
No TV licence , for sky you will need a huge 4.2m dish to get good UK TV + box.
Alternative is to watch it from your computer and have a HDMI cable to your telly.
'filmon. '- have live UK tv channel for free, and also if you hide your isp with a uk company (onspeed.) 24.99 a year you can get on demand tv / use the bbc iplayer so you don't have to watch it live.

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
The size of dish you need will depend on where on the Island you live.
We have a 2.7m dish and we get excellent reception but other areas need much bigger dishes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi tonyandjayne

I agree Sky TV can be expensive in Cyprus but if you shop around you will find yourself a good deal, Also the advice about sharing a dish is correct and will save you alot of money :clap2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Wonder if someone can confirm this situation with me? I was thinking that I could bring across a sky box and hook it up to the dish already at the house in Cyprus and just keep the subscription going here in UK with it registered at our friends address? Is anyone else doing this and is it working?

Cheers

Annie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Wonder if someone can confirm this situation with me? I was thinking that I could bring across a sky box and hook it up to the dish already at the house in Cyprus and just keep the subscription going here in UK with it registered at our friends address? Is anyone else doing this and is it working?

Cheers

Annie

Hi Anne viewing SkyTV abroad is prohibited and can result in you blacklisting your friends address in the future and they may not be able to get Sky at that address again because it has been identified as hosting a Viewing card abroad if it is eventually turned off for whatever reason , that is why shops provide Sky TV because they take all the risks, so you or your friends don't have to

·
Registered
43 Posts
CytaVision is a available without a satelite dish and offers a wide range of programmes in english. It might not be the same as Sky but it's probably more reasonable. There is also LTV for premium football games, football etc.

Cyta Cytavision Bundled Electronic Communication Services

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Cheers

Annie
Hi Annie,

Other people are doing what your thinking of but as stated in the other posts the size of the dish needed is quite large (aprox 3m-4m depending on where you live), is the dish at the house this size?

If you cancel your subscription with sky you will still get the free channels i.e. BBC, ITV etc providing the dish is big enough.

Eric

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Annie,

Other people are doing what your thinking of but as stated in the other posts the size of the dish needed is quite large (aprox 3m-4m depending on where you live), is the dish at the house this size?

If you cancel your subscription with sky you will still get the free channels i.e. BBC, ITV etc providing the dish is big enough.

Eric
Thanks for your response. The dish used to be around 2m but we got extenders put on it a couple of years ago and its now HUGE!!! There is a basic sky box there just now with the usual basic channels (BBC etc) but sometimes the picture freezes and can sometimes get no reception at all, do you know if this may improve if we bring over our HD Sky box? or is there maybe something wrong with the positioning of the dish or anything else?

Thanks for your time

Annie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your response. The dish used to be around 2m but we got extenders put on it a couple of years ago and its now HUGE!!! There is a basic sky box there just now with the usual basic channels (BBC etc) but sometimes the picture freezes and can sometimes get no reception at all, do you know if this may improve if we bring over our HD Sky box? or is there maybe something wrong with the positioning of the dish or anything else?

Thanks for your time

Annie

Hi Annie

Yes your dish maybe just out of Sync with the satellites which could explain the freezing and lose of viewing but your Dish's LNB might simply need alittle clean if it has been gathering dust?? A HD box helps with picture quality and wouldn't help in getting a stronger signal

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks for your time

Annie
Hi Annie,

The only dish I know of that you can attach extensions to is a 2.8m which makes it a 3.2m so it should be ok.
I would look at the lnb (it's amazing how many spiders make their homes there) give it a squirt of insecticide inside the feed and if you still have problems then call a tech to check lnb and dish position.
I don't think the HD Sky box will improve the situation.

Eric

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Annie,

The only dish I know of that you can attach extensions to is a 2.8m which makes it a 3.2m so it should be ok.
I would look at the lnb (it's amazing how many spiders make their homes there) give it a squirt of insecticide inside the feed and if you still have problems then call a tech to check lnb and dish position.
I don't think the HD Sky box will improve the situation.

Eric
Thanks for the advice Eric, will check it out as soon as we get there!! I take it that we shouldn't really get much interference on a regular basis??

Annie

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Annie,

Eric
Hi

The dish has to be a minimum of 2.7 mtr for sky and you can bring your box and card with you even without subscription you can still get all the freeview chanels

Cherie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the advice Eric, will check it out as soon as we get there!! I take it that we shouldn't really get much interference on a regular basis??

Annie
When you write interference If you mean i.e. freezing, pixalation, low signal etc this will depend on the size of the dish, weather conditions and the channels you are watching.

Just to give you an example I live in Limassol and have a 3m dish with a quad lnb & Sky+ box.
I get all the BBC's, ITV, ITV2+1, FIVE, SKY3, FIVER etc, but ITV2, CH4 and a some others breakup while quite a few just say no signal.

Eric

·
Registered
915 Posts
Is Nilesat reliable, we have had no system for 4 days not sure if this is Nilesat itself or our dish any tips ?
We've got Nilesat and have no problems at the moment. We had a similar problem a while ago. It turned out to be our satellite box that stopped working. My husband says it could be a number of things causing the problem but its not Nilesat. He suggests you start by rebooting your system. Turn the box off at the mains, wait ten seconds then turn it back on.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.