Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any info related to living in Tulum, can't find anything on this forum. Are there many expats there? How is the cost of living compared to Playa del Carmen? Many questions if anyone knows this area. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just visited after 25 years. Back then we were part of very few there and slept on top. Today there are 1000 or many more visiting daily, and you can't set foot on the ruins, which no doubt is a good thing. The town was flooded with tourists, most foreigners. Sorry that I can't help directly with your question, but I know little of what's going on regarding permanent residents today. Personally, if it were me, I would opt for a less tourist filled locale, but no doubt one doesn't have to go far to find that. I must say that Quintanna Roo is a totally different world today. However, I read recently it was predicted to be one of the top 100 regions according to many criteria to live in 2025. I spent a lot of time in Mexico over the the past 30 years, including doing my PhD research there. Recently I've been working in Indonesia, a great place, but I can make ten flights RT from Atlanta to visit kids for the cost of one to North Sumatra. Thinking seriously about relocating my career back there soon. Sorry to stray off topic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm looking for any info related to living in Tulum, can't find anything on this forum. Are there many expats there? How is the cost of living compared to Playa del Carmen? Many questions if anyone knows this area. Thanks
Hello
We are building a home in Los Arboles in Tulum. We do find Tulum cheaper than Playa and a whole different world. I worked for an airline and have travelled the world. When we came here we felt we came home. I still feel it is a sleepy mexican town. Now we have the pueblo and we have the boutique hotels. Compared to Cancun and Playa the beaches are deserted and gorgeous coral sand with miles and miles to walk. Calm water and warm.
No tall cement hotels but more cabana 2-3 levels. Of course mostly off the grid. Dark dark at night with glowing candles in restaurants. crabs walking around
We chose a jungle lot in a safe gated community but can drive 10 minutes to the beach. Love the lush tall jungle with monkeys and toucans. So very excited to be there 6 months
Compared to home...omg 6 mango for 80 pesos...

it is paradise

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am planning to move there in July. The rent is super cheap depending on what you are used to...you could easily live on $600USD a month. Its paradise by the way! ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
$600 a month is a princely sum in many parts of MX.

And it was in Tulum, too, not all that long ago. Which makes living in the place where you were raised a lot harder for its locals, you know?

·
Registered
34 Posts
huh? I don't understand your response.... $600USD isn't much and yes that is a lot for MX, you could def live for much less...depending on your circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
huh? I don't understand your response.... $600USD isn't much and yes that is a lot for MX, you could def live for much less...depending on your circumstances.
I think that most expats, including myself, would find it very hard to live on less than $600 USD in Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
yes, I have a friend in Tulum who is a citizen and he told me that $600USD more or less was the cost of living...
It all depends on how you want to live. Housing will be your biggest expense. Maybe housing is cheaper in Tulum than in other parts of Mexico, hence your friend's estimate of the cost of living in Tulum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
exactly...you can rent a room, apartment, furnished or not...I plan on living with the very basic needs..not flatscreen tvs etc...but i'm not a typical gringa...like I said it really depends on how you want to live...besides ummm Tulum is paradise ...how much time do you really want to be spending indoors...? :)

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,070 Posts
$600 a month is a princely sum in many parts of MX.

And it was in Tulum, too, not all that long ago. Which makes living in the place where you were raised a lot harder for its locals, you know?
MickiSue: Are you talking about $600 usd/mo for -rent- or for -all expenses-. $600 usd/mo is pretty lean for -all expenses-.

·
Registered
106 Posts
$600.00 a month seems very expensive to me if you are talking about cost of a house. I live in a new house and it only cost $350.00 a month.

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
$600.00 a month seems very expensive to me if you are talking about cost of a house. I live in a new house and it only cost $350.00 a month.
That may be true in San Cristóbal, but not in all parts of the country. It's certainly not true in Mexico City.

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
I think all of the foreigners moving into the country is driving up the prices because they will pay higher prices.
That's not the case in Mexico City where the number of foreigners living here is but a tiny portion of the population of over 20,000,000 people!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think all of the foreigners moving into the country is driving up the prices because they will pay higher prices.
It's not like "all of the foreigners" coming to Mexico, they are not that many, we do not have an exudus of foreigners who are rich enough to make the prices rise

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here in San Cristobal de las Casas many foreigners pay two to three times more for a house than they would if they just looked around. They all want to live in el centro. Even small apartments cost three times more if rented near el centro. A real estate guy I know talked about ******'s driving up prices. People who live near el centro are adding apartments to their house to take advantage of the tourist market. But if you go to the outskirts of town everything remains priced like it use to be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in San Cristobal de las Casas many foreigners pay two to three times more for a house than they would if they just looked around. They all want to live in el centro. Even small apartments cost three times more if rented near el centro. A real estate guy I know talked about ******'s driving up prices. People who live near el centro are adding apartments to their house to take advantage of the tourist market. But if you go to the outskirts of town everything remains priced like it use to be.

This is a much more specific statement, and likely, true of places all over the world. Rent and amenities cost more in places where more people want to live.

Location, location, location.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.