Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Depends on the institution and the course. Highest is MBA which can be £30,000 or more. I'd say average is around £12k to £18k. Look up university website, go to postgraduate studies and look for international student fees. Each university sets its own fees.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depends on the institution and the course. Highest is MBA which can be £30,000 or more. I'd say average is around £12k to £18k. Look up university website, go to postgraduate studies and look for international student fees. Each university sets its own fees.
Joppa, my wife is American, with a UK spouse visa am I correct that she would pay international rate tuition fees and after 3 years of permanent residence be eligible for local rate fees?

And what about me, I'm a british citizen who has lived permanently in the USA for 5 years. When I return would I also have to pay international rate fees because I have not been recently resident in the UK?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your wife needs to have lived in UK for 3 years and have settled status before eligible for home student fees. For you, you too need three years' residence but you already have settled status as British citizen. Remember the difference may be only around £3,000 or so depending on course and institution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your wife needs to have lived in UK for 3 years and have settled status before eligible for home student fees. For you, you too need three years' residence but you already have settled status as British citizen. Remember the difference may be only around £3,000 or so depending on course and institution.
So after 3 years will my wife have 'settled' status or does that take 5 years from arrival?

If I understood you correct, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it also affects me as a UK born citizen returning to my home country. We will move to central London and I was considering an MA at the RCA, home fees are £9,000 but 'overseas' is £26,900!
However I understand the need to discourage people from arriving to simply take advantage of the education and then leave, though that's not my intention.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The only returning British citizen eligible for home student fees are those who have lived and worked (or their parents have) in another EEA country, or have lived and worked (or their parents have) in Crown Service overseas, such as diplomatic staff or the military.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.