Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am in the process of renewing my titre de séjour so I can continue my studies for the duration of the spring semester. While looking at the list of pièces à fournir to my appointment with the prefecture, I realized I may be in a bit of trouble. I don't match any of the following situations because I am unofficially living in a room in my friend's apartment:

JUSTIFICATIFS DE DOMICILE :
1) Si vous avez un domicile personnel : Facture de gaz ou d’électricité (original + 1 photocopie) ou quittance de loyer de moins de 3 mois ou contrat de location ou titre de propriété s’ils datent de moins de 3 mois ;
2) si vous êtes hébergé: attestation d’hébergement du logeur et copie de sa carte d’identité ou de séjour et de sa dernière quittance de gaz ou d’électricité;
3) si vous êtes hébergé en foyer : attestation du responsable et facture du dernier mois;

Is there any way around this that doesn't include forgery? I don't have my own apartment and certainly no gas or electricity bills in my name. My flatmate would prefer not to tell her landlord about me. Can I plead homelessness? Or that I'm staying in different hostels every week?

My Visa expires on March 1st 2010. What are the risks of staying past that date? What would my options be? I also can't find the expiration date on my titre de séjour, and I can't seem to make an appointment online without it. I put in the expiration date of my student visa but it wouldn't let me continue.

Thanks

·
Administrator
51,363 Posts
2) si vous êtes hébergé: attestation d’hébergement du logeur et copie de sa carte d’identité ou de séjour et de sa dernière quittance de gaz ou d’électricité;
What's wrong with this one? They are only asking for an attestation from your logeur (i.e. the friend who is putting you up), not from the landlord - assuming that the friend his/herself is legal and can produce a carte d'identité or carte de séjour and a utility bill.

If you've got a separate "titre de séjour" the expiration date is usually on the back side of the card. Frankly, once you have your carte de séjour, the expiration date on the visa has no significance whatsoever.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's wrong with this one? They are only asking for an attestation from your logeur (i.e. the friend who is putting you up), not from the landlord - assuming that the friend his/herself is legal and can produce a carte d'identité or carte de séjour and a utility bill.

If you've got a separate "titre de séjour" the expiration date is usually on the back side of the card. Frankly, once you have your carte de séjour, the expiration date on the visa has no significance whatsoever.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks! My friend is legal and all that, but how much information must she divulge to the prefecture? Is the attestation just a signed letter certifying that I am safely housed and won't be a burden on the country? I'm guessing it's that and one of her electric bills, or does she need to present her carte de something that she has?

Also, I have one of those new titre de séjours that is not an individual card, it is like a second visa they tape into your passport. I can't even find a date on it! So weird this process is...
Thanks again,
Will

·
Administrator
51,363 Posts
Thanks! My friend is legal and all that, but how much information must she divulge to the prefecture? Is the attestation just a signed letter certifying that I am safely housed and won't be a burden on the country? I'm guessing it's that and one of her electric bills, or does she need to present her carte de something that she has?

Also, I have one of those new titre de séjours that is not an individual card, it is like a second visa they tape into your passport. I can't even find a date on it! So weird this process is...
Thanks again,
Will
An attestation is just a letter where your friend "swears on her honor" that she has invited you to live with her for the duration of your studies. She doesn't even have to disclose your arrangement for rent or sharing expenses or anything. Then she just has to provide a copy of her carte de sejour (or whatever she has as i.d. - if she's an EU national, a copy of her passport will do) and an electric bill in her name. Safest to bring the actual documents with you when you go to renew, along with photocopies of everything. They can "certify" the copies at the prefecture.

If you've got one of the new titres de séjours stamped in your passport and there is no date of expiration, how do you know you have to renew it? Or maybe in your case, the expiration date of the visa IS the expiration date of the titre de séjour part.

In any event, just go in with all the stuff they ask for and chances are they'll find one more document you'll have to get. (They always do - at least in my experience.) If it's too soon to renew your titre de séjour, they'll tell you that, too.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help, Bev.
Yes, I believe the expiration on my visa is the expiration on my titre de séjour.
Thanks again!
-Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.