Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. the particulars

Married, 2 small children. Both Spouses under the age of 30. No medical issues of note. Wife has some allergies, but nothing debilitating.

I've taken when of the skills assessments, scored a 140. Obviously speak English fluently (albeit not Kings). Presently I work for the US Gov't providing Information Assurance; and carry a security clearance. Career listed on the General Skilled Migration list.(CISSP-ISSEP)

Looking to settle down in Melbourne; visiting in June of this year (2010). Unless I receive a Job offer that's substantial, we'd be looking to move sometime in the next three years...

So with that in mind.. what would be the next logical step? Seriously, I'm ready to get out of America... should I just start shooting my resume around the loop in Melbourne? Is it appropriate to apply to jobs without a Visa currently?

We've looked at the cost of living; and know what it'd take monetarily for us to jump ship; and I don't imagine it'd be difficult to get an acceptable offer.. It does seem a bit early to get a VISA though.. Or is it? If worst case, we don't move that way for another 3 years.. what happens?

Any advice, places in the area around Melbourne we should look at or look into? Presently, we've been looking at properties about 40km outside of Melbourne to the west.. but a few other areas about as well...

As an aside, whats the deal with the cats? Cannot bring my Serval with me Oz? Bad form! BADDD FORM!
:boxing::boxing:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

I live around 40km south of Melbourne (Frankston South) and love it here. It's within commutable distance of the CBD and has a very rural feel to it, especially the further down the peninsula you go. Personally I wouldn't consider going west of Melbourne as there's not a lot there (if you're talking Point Cook/Hoppers Crossing/Werribbee way).

Bayside is very nice, but quite pricey property-wise. Berwick is also a nice area.

Why can't you bring your cat? Cats, dogs, budgies, bunnies....they can all be shipped over. Who told you you couldn't bring your moggie?

Here are some websites that you may find useful:

Bayside City Council
http://www.realestate.com.au/
Mums Club - Find Local Mums and Groups
Bringing Cats and Dogs (and other pets) to Australia - DAFF
Pre-School - At School 5-18 - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development

If you can get your hands on a copy, try and get a Melways or UBD. I got both whilst still back in the UK and it was my bible....it has everything in it, hospitals-schools-parks etc etc etc

Unless you are trying to get sponsorship, applying for jobs without PR will be fruitless. No company will be interested until you have that holy grail. My OH managed to secure a job when we were still in the UK (but we had PR by then).

If you apply for a visa, it generally takes around 12-18 months to actually get it. You will then be given a date in which you either have to validate or emigrate. If you choose to validate you can come on a reccie trip and check out areas/schools etc and then you will have 5 years in which to return permanently.

Dolly

·
Registered
619 Posts
So.. the particulars

Married, 2 small children. Both Spouses under the age of 30. No medical issues of note. Wife has some allergies, but nothing debilitating.

I've taken when of the skills assessments, scored a 140. Obviously speak English fluently (albeit not Kings). Presently I work for the US Gov't providing Information Assurance; and carry a security clearance. Career listed on the General Skilled Migration list.(CISSP-ISSEP)

Looking to settle down in Melbourne; visiting in June of this year (2010). Unless I receive a Job offer that's substantial, we'd be looking to move sometime in the next three years...

So with that in mind.. what would be the next logical step? Seriously, I'm ready to get out of America... should I just start shooting my resume around the loop in Melbourne? Is it appropriate to apply to jobs without a Visa currently?

We've looked at the cost of living; and know what it'd take monetarily for us to jump ship; and I don't imagine it'd be difficult to get an acceptable offer.. It does seem a bit early to get a VISA though.. Or is it? If worst case, we don't move that way for another 3 years.. what happens?

Any advice, places in the area around Melbourne we should look at or look into? Presently, we've been looking at properties about 40km outside of Melbourne to the west.. but a few other areas about as well...

As an aside, whats the deal with the cats? Cannot bring my Serval with me Oz? Bad form! BADDD FORM!
:boxing::boxing:

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Seems like you are in good standing for a visa. Just be aware if you need the full 25 points for the english speaking ability you will need to sit the IELTS exam. However, i think without that you will probably still have 130 points.

Theres absolutely no reason why you cannot apply for your visa now. Actually, your skill is currently on the Critical Skills List (CSL) which puts you on the fast track for getting your visa, probably in around 6-12 months. With the ever changing visa application process, it might be wise to apply and get the visa in hand while things are in your favor. Once you visa is issued, you have 12 months from the date of your Medicals to enter AU to validate it. However, you can turn right back around on the next plane, and your will have 5 years to make the big move. Once you have the visa in hand, you can job hunt from over here in the US, and employers would be more likely to hire you as they do no have to deal with sponsoring you.

As for Melbourne, I personally prefer the inner city regions such as Richmond, Port Melbourne, St Kilda. but if your looking for a quieter lifestyle, then there are plenty of burbs. I think out to the west about 25km is the werribee area. Lots of new housing developments there. Go any further west and you start to enter Bogan territory (so I have heard).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aye, thank you both for such quick replies.

The links look very helpful..
Alas, no, we can't bring our Serval into the country. Savannahs were banned in August.. I guess? Something about a feral cat issue.. I can only imagine it'd also hold true to be banned for the Wild Cat progenitor.

You seriously have to take an Exam if you're from an English speaking country? I mean I guess it makes sense; living here... I'd say a good solid 30% of the population around me most days doesn't speak English at all, or at least not well enough to readily understand.

Yes, Werribee was actually where we were looking. Would like to see a bit of air and country.. but still stay close enough to a major city if there's a daily commute involved in the career.

Good ideas about the Visas.. Makes me wish we had started earlier with the process.. we could have validated when we go to visit in June if we were to have them in hand at the time.

Also.. what's a good email domain out that way for *@ xxxx_com_au? I've heard it's a good idea to set up an email address that's familiar out that way for communication's sake. I'd rather not end up with the equivalent of @aol_com..

·
Registered
619 Posts
Aye, thank you both for such quick replies.

The links look very helpful..
Alas, no, we can't bring our Serval into the country. Savannahs were banned in August.. I guess? Something about a feral cat issue.. I can only imagine it'd also hold true to be banned for the Wild Cat progenitor.

yes, they have to be very careful about what animals they let in. Historically they have made a lot of bad decisions about what animals to bring in the country. Rabbits, foxes and poisenous toads have caused havoc to native wildlife.

You seriously have to take an Exam if you're from an English speaking country? I mean I guess it makes sense; living here... I'd say a good solid 30% of the population around me most days doesn't speak English at all, or at least not well enough to readily understand.
yes.. just cause you have a US passport doesn't mean you can necessarily speak the language. you will still get 15 points if you don't take the test, but for 25 you need the test. I had to take the test. It wasn't that difficult, don't worry.

Where in US are you? im assuming west coast otherwise your having a really late night :)

Yes, Werribee was actually where we were looking. Would like to see a bit of air and country.. but still stay close enough to a major city if there's a daily commute involved in the career.
The biggest problem with that area is there is very little character. Its all new housing developments and shopping malls.

Good ideas about the Visas.. Makes me wish we had started earlier with the process.. we could have validated when we go to visit in June if we were to have them in hand at the time.
Have you looked at the requirements for Skills Assessment with the ACS? You should get moving with this asap. it took a few months for mine to come through.

Also.. what's a good email domain out that way for *@ xxxx_com_au? I've heard it's a good idea to set up an email address that's familiar out that way for communication's sake. I'd rather not end up with the equivalent of @aol_com..
Personally I don't think it makes a difference what your address is. Not worth the effort of creating a new account.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Well I use gmail and we converted over whilst we were still in the UK so everyone got to use the new address before we moved over - not had any probs at all not being a .au address.

That totally sucks about your cat!

Dolly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
West Coast would be an incorrect assumption. I'm geeking.. it's only 1:30am, so east coast.

Not worried with the test..

Just looked up Bogan by the way.. Wow.

Alright, fantastic, so gmail's still good..

Yeah, I'll probably start looking into the Visa Stuff on Monday. This has been a relatively recent development for us. We did both want to move to Oz at one point in our live's but.. My last trip to Washington spurred interest in looking more into Oz sooner rather than later.. And after finding out I'm on that CSL today; it did feel a bit like winning the lottery.. Now apparently we just have to get membership into the exclusive club that is the work visa department for Oz.. lol I'm guessing we can't borrow one from the USA's southern neighbors and send her over pregnant to run around and drop one, eej? >.>

LoL, well I'm for bed now..

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi

welcome to the forum..
if you start today, gathering documents, then applying for skill assessment will take close to 6 months, depending on how efficiently you work :). after that its another 6-12 months for visa (if in CSL) which comes to one half year, you do get a year for initial entry, whhich makes it 2 half years. close to what you had in mind for making the big move.

wish you luck, search the forum for ACS, Skill assessment, yada yada, you will get plenty of good info.
and do have a look at the sticky threads. again, there's heaps of info u can use :)

Cheers
Anj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts