Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In advance of our pending move next year to the UK I have tried opening an expat account in the UK via HSBC. My application was rejected. I have rechecked my credit history and there are no major issues, apart from the fact I am not on the electoral roll and have been away from the UK for more than ten years. Will this affect my credit rating?

I will visit the UK this summer for holiday, how easy is it to open an account as I do not have a permanent address there? We do own a small property which is rented out and I am starting to do some business there so have a small income which I want to save.

What can I do?

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
You really have to wait until you are permanently in UK and try to open an account. UK banks must have confirmation of your permanent UK address, evidenced by a utility bill or official letters (tax, NHS, council tax etc). As soon as you have a place to live, get your name on the electoral register (yes, credit reference agencies always check the register), council tax and utility bills.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In advance of our pending move next year to the UK I have tried opening an expat account in the UK via HSBC. My application was rejected. I have rechecked my credit history and there are no major issues, apart from the fact I am not on the electoral roll and have been away from the UK for more than ten years. Will this affect my credit rating?

I will visit the UK this summer for holiday, how easy is it to open an account as I do not have a permanent address there? We do own a small property which is rented out and I am starting to do some business there so have a small income which I want to save.

What can I do?
Have you try the Bank of East Asia in Hong Kong? Please see link below -

Services

The Bank of East Asia has three branches in the UK - London, Birmingham and Manchester. For details, see link below -

UK Branch Locations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.