Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for my 457 visa to be processed and I'm trying to rent either a studio or one bedroom apartment. I'm going to be working in Pyrmont so I'm looking for some place reasonably priced either within working distance or on the Light Rail/L1 line. So probably Glebe, Ultimo, Lilyfield, Rozella.

My visa should be processed within 2-3 weeks so I'm hoping to have any apartment by then.

I'm not really sure why (please tell me if you know...) but Glebe seems to be the cheaper than Rozella and Ultimo and has more properties available so I'm mostly looking in Glebe.

So my problem is that I'm trying to figure out how much I should be paying in rent. I don't want to go too cheap but I don't want to go too expensive either if you know what I mean.

I'm a pretty introverted reading booking/playing games/watching anime type person so I feel like there are a lot of things people care about that I don't.

The price range I am looking at is $400-$450. It was $380-$430 but I think that's too low.

Am I being too cheap here? Should I be looking at $450-$500? Or higher?

My salary is 120,000 (including superannuation) which is about 85k net.

---------------

Well... I'm half expecting people to just respond with WTF are you asking us for? but I figure there is no harm is asking...

·
Registered
147 Posts
400-450 is not a bad range. As per the listings on the internet, the house rent is between 400-500 for a very nice 1 BHK apartment. and you can get a reasonable 2BHK in 500 too, depends on the suburb and connectivity to the CBD. For example, Ermington has a range of 400-500 for both 1 and 2 Bed/bath apartments but it takes a bus and a train ride of 40 minutes to reach CBD and with fewer markets nearby but a very nice and calm area to live in.

and a poor studio will cost you 450 in central location. So it all comes down to your preferences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
400-450 is not a bad range. As per the listings on the internet, the house rent is between 400-500 for a very nice 1 BHK apartment. and you can get a reasonable 2BHK in 500 too, depends on the suburb and connectivity to the CBD. For example, Ermington has a range of 400-500 for both 1 and 2 Bed/bath apartments but it takes a bus and a train ride of 40 minutes to reach CBD and with fewer markets nearby but a very nice and calm area to live in.

and a poor studio will cost you 450 in central location. So it all comes down to your preferences.
The problem with going further out is that the public transport costs go up as well.

By my calculations, using the Inner West light rail

Walking -> +$0 per week
Glebe (within 3km) -> +$20 per week
Lilyfield/Annandale/Leichhardt -> +$35 per week

So i might stick with the $400-$450 range but if it is Glebe consider places up to $460 but in Lilyfield/Annandale/Leichhardt consider only up to $440 or something.

Although I really want to get a place within 2-3 weeks, I probably shouldn't be so $10 or $20 per week. The lease is normally 6 months so I always move to someplace cheaper later.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The problem with going further out is that the public transport costs go up as well.

By my calculations, using the Inner West light rail

Walking -> +$0 per week
Glebe (within 3km) -> +$20 per week
Lilyfield/Annandale/Leichhardt -> +$35 per week

So i might stick with the $400-$450 range but if it is Glebe consider places up to $460 but in Lilyfield/Annandale/Leichhardt consider only up to $440 or something.

Although I really want to get a place within 2-3 weeks, I probably shouldn't be so $10 or $20 per week. The lease is normally 6 months so I always move to someplace cheaper later.
Sounds like it might be easier to live closer & pay a bit more on rent, than to spend on transport & travel time.

Also, have you considered sharing to reduce cost?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts