Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to see a couple of old farts argue and shout at each other for an hour or so I can go to a late night bar.

Reactions: jakethepeg

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If I want to see a couple of old farts argue and shout at each other for an hour or so my wife and I can just move to the bathroom and look at the mirror.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is the beginning of the end of Trump. His debate performance is being roundly panned all across the US media. The down ballot Republicans are in a panic, and rightly so. His most egregious moments were his attacks on Biden's sons and his refusal to disavow the various white supremacists groups who support him. And his inane attacks on mail-in ballots have been debunked by just about every agency that fact checks his lies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but perhaps the average American has had enough of the orange idiot. We will know in the fullness of time.

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts
I think Dana Bash (of CNN) summed it up best: a real sh|tshow

This bodes terribly for the election - no matter what the results, it looks like things are going to get even uglier over there. The Late, Great United States...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
... a real sh|tshow ...This bodes terribly for the election - no matter what the results, it looks like things are going to get even uglier over there.....
Nobody really expected these debates to change many minds. So, I think the key takeaway here is that the Orange ****gibbon didn't succeed in making a fool of Biden, as he did with Hilary. Polls after the debate find that those who were undecided before the debate, and are now decided, did so significantly in Biden's favor. With a candidate like bonespurs, all Biden really needs to do is stay above the fray and let the idiot self-destruct. As he seems wont to do, especially on issues like right-wing white supremacist groups.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I did not watch it but I get the picture.

If I was Biden I would cancel appearing in the last debates. I think he would get more cred by doing that than wasting his time trying to debate in front of a 3 year old orange baby.

Trump is imploding. He can do that on his own.

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts

If I was Biden I would cancel appearing in the last debates. I think he would get more cred by doing that than wasting his time trying to debate in front of a 3 year old orange baby.

Fully agree. I thought they should have just cancelled the whole debate thing weeks ago. You sort of knew how it was going to go.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts

Don't agree - he wants to continue and I think it is an excellent strategy to allow Trump to simply implode on screen three more times, whilst all Biden has to do is to remain calm and make occasional statements that win the hearts of many Americans (eg. proud of his son's successful battle to overcome drug addiction).

Though I have to admit the stand back, stand y comment by Trump is extremely dangerous.

Sadly,these are not debates about political platforms and never will be, indeed both sides had already dropped political platforms in their campaigns (which is not exactly new either, it's just more the case this time around).

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts
Don't agree - he wants to continue and I think it is an excellent strategy to allow Trump to simply implode on screen three more times, whilst all Biden has to do is to remain calm and make occasional statements that win the hearts of many Americans (eg. proud of his son's successful battle to overcome drug addiction).
While I can only admire Biden being the grown up in the room, I really wish he'd haul back and comment on Don Jr's cocaine use (besides the fact that at some point in the 2016 campaign he was quoted widely in the media as saying that much of the Trump Organization funding comes from Russia) and then there's the other Trump son, Butthead, who has to testify in some ongoing investigation of the Trump Organization next week.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
While I can only admire Biden being the grown up in the room, I really wish he'd haul back and comment on Don Jr's cocaine use (besides the fact that at some point in the 2016 campaign he was quoted widely in the media as saying that much of the Trump Organization funding comes from Russia) and then there's the other Trump son, Butthead, who has to testify in some ongoing investigation of the Trump Organization next week.
But, to be fair, he really did not get an opportunity to do so. And TBH I doubt that will change as the debates continue. I think perhaps he could mock Trump non-verbally going forward, though I don't think he has much experience in using body language, quite the opposite in fact.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I watched the 2016 debates and frankly Hillary wiped the floor with Trump. She systematically took him apart and wiped the floor with him. It was a masterful debate performance.

Unfortunately too many people already hated her, so we ended up with the looming menacing presence who physically stalked her during the debate...

Trump was a lot more "normal" in terms of debating back then. Not anywhere near normal, but the difference between him then and him now in debates is amazing. He has to keep escalating to frantically get the news headlines off his latest scandal, and he's at the point where he really can't escalate much more without starting a war...which would not surprise me at all.

The question is how much is an act (in an effort to, this week, get attention away from his tax returns) and how much is genuinely him imploding. I REALLY hope it's an act. But I can only imagine the amount of mental stress he's under--all brought on himself, but still.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think Dana Bash (of CNN) summed it up best: a real sh|tshow

This bodes terribly for the election - no matter what the results, it looks like things are going to get even uglier over there. The Late, Great United States...
Also said on CNN by Jake Tapper "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck"

Sure it was grotesque but did any of us really expect much different? One of my favorite moments was when Don was asked if he would denounce White Supremacy he told the Proud Boys to "Stand down and stand by". Ahhhhhhh............l'Amerique!!!!!

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Also said on CNN by Jake Tapper "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck"

Sure it was grotesque but did any of us really expect much different? One of my favorite moments was when Don was asked if he would denounce White Supremacy he told the Proud Boys to "Stand down and stand by". Ahhhhhhh............l'Amerique!!!!!
And we al know how the Proud Boys have interpreted that statement :eek:

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
IMHO the choice of candidates remains the biggest barrier to both a true debate and (as I have previously said elsewhere on the forum) an acceptable outcome for the American people. That said, I have no idea why the Democrats have been incapable of finding a decent candidate either for this election or the last, though perhaps it is because you need a heck of a lot of money to mount a campaign for selection.

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts
IMHO the choice of candidates remains the biggest barrier to both a true debate and (as I have previously said elsewhere on the forum) an acceptable outcome for the American people. That said, I have no idea why the Democrats have been incapable of finding a decent candidate either for this election or the last, though perhaps it is because you need a heck of a lot of money to mount a campaign for selection.
"Same as it ever was..." (to quote the Talking Heads).

The Democrats have little or nothing to do with the choice of a Democrat candidate. Hell, Bonespurs wasn't even a Republican before he decided to wade into the Republican primaries to pump up his "brand."

The primary system in the US is one of the biggest liabilities of the way presidents are elected in the US - second only to the stupid Electoral College.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fully agree. I thought they should have just cancelled the whole debate thing weeks ago. You sort of knew how it was going to go.
I was worried that Biden might crumble. I think Trump wanted to make him look old and dumb, badgering and distracting him, and was frustrated when that tactic didn't work. Biden was very well prepared and looked quite good. So ultimately I think the debate might have benefited him.

·
Registered
201 Posts

If Biden refuses to attend any more debates he will look weak and be mocked. Better that Trump come up with a way out for himself so we don't have to watch any more awful debates.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts