Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I obtained an Australian voip number from www.tollfreeforwarding.com. I avoided Skype number because it requires a constant internet connection, and I have issues maintaining that. Although the voip number worked as expected during the testing period, I'm having severe issues with it.

I got 2 different calls from Australia this morning, but the other person's voice was not at all audible. As a result, I got 2 rejection emails. I compared the numbers mentioned in the emails with the calls I got, and they tallied. This obviously means that they rejected my application since they were unable to communicate with me over the phone.

I got this service canceled, and do not wish to continue applying until I get a more reliable local number. Kindly advice me on the following aspects:-

1) Which service is the most reliable to obtain a local Australian number and have incoming calls forwarded to my Indian number, without the need to be connected to the internet? I know that Skype too provides a call forwarding option, but I don't know if I can first obtain a Skype number and then again purchase the call forwarding service, to have the calls to the number forwarded to my Indian number.

2) Since 2 recruiters have already rejected me, does that mean that I would never be considered for any role with them for a specified number of months even if I apply again with a different number? Because I do realize that my current CV (with the unreliable number) would be present in their database, and even if I apply with a new number, they may reject me outright because I'm the same person. Also, since I have already applied for a lot of positions with this number, I'm worried if it would disqualify me from applying to them again for a specified number of months (because I know that I will keep losing opportunities as long as they keep calling this number).

I wouldn't mind an actual rejection after speaking with them,or even an outright rejection due to any other aspect. But it's too frustrating to be losing out on opportunities due to these idiotic technical problems. Kindly advice.

P.S. Yeah, I'm applying from overseas, and I'm sure most people here would suggest me to move first and then search for jobs. I'm fine with doing that, but before taking the leap I just want to analyze if and how many responses I get, and how positive they are, compared to the number of applications I send.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
What's the point of having Australian number if you are still overseas??I think you should mention your current contact number on your resume, if recruiter gonna call on your Australian number & found you overseas you will be rejected anyway as in most cases local candidates get preference.

Girl Aussie

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the point of having Australian number if you are still overseas??I think you should mention your current contact number on your resume, if recruiter gonna call on your Australian number & found you overseas you will be rejected anyway as in most cases local candidates get preference.

Girl Aussie
I have specifically mentioned on my cover letter that I'm currently overseas but I'm ready to relocate within 7 days.
I want to use the Australian number only to bypass the automatic filtering implemented by most recruiters, to filter out overseas number. So, those who called me (or will call me) will definitely know that I'm currently not present in Australia.
And I do know people people who succeeded in getting interview calls and even job offers from overseas, when they specified an Australian number on their CV.

I'll anyway be moving sometime in June, most likely. But until then I'd like to get a feel of the current scenario.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Say you do talk to the recruiters but would you be able to make it to the face-2-face interview immediately?

The problem is that the recruiters want to present candidates to the recruiting company who could actually make it for a face-2-face interview and join immediately (given the competition the vacancies get filled up immediately within a matter of days). Plus the recruiters do not want to jeopardize their rapport with Organizations by presenting candidates who would not be able to make it. Hence, they do not prefer candidates who are not physically present in Australia. So I guess the best option is to reach Australia and start searching for jobs (meanwhile you could work on your skillsets if you feel necessary)

I have specifically mentioned on my cover letter that I'm currently overseas but I'm ready to relocate within 7 days.
I want to use the Australian number only to bypass the automatic filtering implemented by most recruiters, to filter out overseas number. So, those who called me (or will call me) will definitely know that I'm currently not present in Australia.
And I do know people people who succeeded in getting interview calls and even job offers from overseas, when they specified an Australian number on their CV.

I'll anyway be moving sometime in June, most likely. But until then I'd like to get a feel of the current scenario.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Say you do talk to the recruiters but would you be able to make it to the face-2-face interview immediately?

The problem is that the recruiters want to present candidates to the recruiting company who could actually make it for a face-2-face interview and join immediately (given the competition the vacancies get filled up immediately within a matter of days). Plus the recruiters do not want to jeopardize their rapport with Organizations by presenting candidates who would not be able to make it. Hence, they do not prefer candidates who are not physically present in Australia. So I guess the best option is to reach Australia and start searching for jobs (meanwhile you could work on your skillsets if you feel necessary)
I know, but in case they need me for F-2F, I can even manage to move within 3 to 4 days if needed. I have no notice period in my current company, so I can just resign and leave within a few days. I have done all the preparations here.

Besides, like I mentioned, it may be rare but I have known people who managed to secure Skype interviews from India, without even having niche skills. Even in my case, before getting my PR I just tried applying, and I got an email from a recruiter saying they are ready to interview me over Skype, but I couldn't go ahead because they needed only a citizen or a permanent resident.

I suppose 3 to 4 days is more than reasonable time frame for me to move. Besides, I'm not banking on this anyway. I just want to find out the ratio of calls/emails received to jobs applied, so that I may get a bit of confidence. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I move first, and then get no calls for several months because I didn't do proper groundwork from here, and blindly moved without getting to know the available job opportunities for my area of expertise. As people keep mentioning, a lot of jobs mentioned on sites like Seek/indeed are either fake, duplicate or already filled position, so those aren't a reliable way of determining the current job market.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
I actually think you are going about this the wrong way.
If you have a visa to live and work in Australia - then go there and find a job!
It is always easier to secure a job once you are in the country.
I guess you are trying to get a job on the cheap - without any investment in spending some money getting to Australia and putting yourself up until you secure employment.
With a bit of advanced planning and setting up some interviews before you arrive - you stand a better chance of finding something quickly.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi,
I actually think you are going about this the wrong way.
If you have a visa to live and work in Australia - then go there and find a job!
It is always easier to secure a job once you are in the country.
I guess you are trying to get a job on the cheap - without any investment in spending some money getting to Australia and putting yourself up until you secure employment.
With a bit of advanced planning and setting up some interviews before you arrive - you stand a better chance of finding something quickly.
Best of luck
Steve
Thank you.
No, I'm not trying to get a job on the cheap. In fact, I have wound up most things here, and I can easily relocate within even 7 days. But I just want to know the ratio of the responses I get to the the number of jobs I applied, so that i will get an idea about the reality of the job market before I actually move. Because I wouldn't want to find myself in a situation where I take the leap and move, but then realize there are hardly any jobs for my profession, or that they won't hire people with no local experience.

So, I'm using this only as a means to research the current job market for my profession, since the common opinion is that most jobs on sites like Seek or Indeed are either fake, duplicate, or already filled.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This is a difficult one. :( It is more reassuring and comforting to at least line up a couple of interviews before landing but does it happen?? Otherwise the only option is to go there and search. Then you end up with an unemployment gap in your resume.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a difficult one. :( It is more reassuring and comforting to at least line up a couple of interviews before landing but does it happen?? Otherwise the only option is to go there and search. Then you end up with an unemployment gap in your resume.
It does happen, but I'm going out on a limb here and say that 'luck' is the major factor involved. If you're extremely lucky, you can even obtain a job offer while you are overseas. I know people who managed to obtain jobs from India, even without having nice skills. And then there are others who struggle for months after moving, even with very good skills. So luck is a big factor, although a lot of people deny it.

Reactions: Nostalgia Nut

·
Registered
530 Posts
My suggestion to everyone :
Please avoid using these tactics. Consultants can call you in 5 mins after reciving your resume and may schedule an informal F2F interview.
If a consultant finds that you're not in Aus, and using a VOIP number then they may blacklist your or they might not entertain your resume even when you're in Aus.
This is just human nature, if you have done a mistake, people will always feel that you'll do the same thing again.

Just a suggestion.

there are exceptios though. !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree.

Plus no recruiter wants to be in a situation where he/she would have to do some explanation for the candidate.

My suggestion to everyone :
Please avoid using these tactics. Consultants can call you in 5 mins after reciving your resume and may schedule an informal F2F interview.
If a consultant finds that you're not in Aus, and using a VOIP number then they may blacklist your or they might not entertain your resume even when you're in Aus.
This is just human nature, if you have done a mistake, people will always feel that you'll do the same thing again.

Just a suggestion.

there are exceptios though. !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well keep trying with the voip number. If you are a unique and your CV is impressive with good exposure certainly you will get a call, never give up there is no harm in trying from overseas. I am using Skype no and did recieved lot of calls. As you mentioned in cover letter i have clearly mentioned I am working over seas. Also when some one calls I do clarify my current status before proceeding further .

I was fortunate to grab a job from over seas. Soon I God Willing i will be relocating with my family to start my new challenge .

Cheers

Trends

Reactions: imranrk

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's why I said "there are exceptios though. !!" :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well keep trying with the voip number. If you are a unique and your CV is impressive with good exposure certainly you will get a call, never give up there is no harm in trying from overseas. I am using Skype no and did recieved lot of calls. As you mentioned in cover letter i have clearly mentioned I am working over seas. Also when some one calls I do clarify my current status before proceeding further .

I was fortunate to grab a job from over seas. Soon I God Willing i will be relocating with my family to start my new challenge .

Cheers

Trends
My goodness, so you managed to secure a job from overseas! Would you mind indicating your domain and years of experience?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Since you are getting some positives, how long would you research about the opportunities on your profile? Just mark or make a note of the recruiters and consultants (their email ids, linkedin profile, phone number etc).
Land there, take an appointment with them, discuss your requirement with them.

Reactions: sunnyboi

·
Registered
750 Posts
@funkyzoom - Just curious to know if you have a niche skill, since you are trying from overseas. Recruiters are not confident of scheduling a meeting for people who live in the next state and just 2 hours away on a plane ride, but would be willing to consider an overseas candidate.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you are getting some positives, how long would you research about the opportunities on your profile? Just mark or make a note of the recruiters and consultants (their email ids, linkedin profile, phone number etc).
Land there, take an appointment with them, discuss your requirement with them.
I will be moving in the first week of June. So I'm just trying to find out the kind of responses I get, until then.

Reactions: Vijay24

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@funkyzoom - Just curious to know if you have a niche skill, since you are trying from overseas. Recruiters are not confident of scheduling a meeting for people who live in the next state and just 2 hours away on a plane ride, but would be willing to consider an overseas candidate.
No, my skills are anything but niche. But I'm not really 'trying' for a job from overseas. Like I have mentioned in several posts, I'm only assessing the market. Besides, I know people who have landed job offers from overseas without niche skills (one guy even obtained 3 offers while in India, being Software Tester with 4 years experience). So it IS possible, but it requires loads of luck too.

In any case, I'm not at all banking on obtaining a job from here. I would be relocating sometime during the 1st week of June anyway. So if I do get an offer from here, it is just a bonus. If not, n harm done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts