Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these things can be difficult in Spain with requirements varying from place to place, and day to day, but are there any guidelines on registering on the Padron and with a doctor.

So far my daughter has been unable to register on the Padron as they want a copy of a utility bill in her name. Unfortunately she can not produce this, as gas is the bottled variety and the landlords at both flats she has rented prefer to keep the bills in their name to ensure they are paid on time, and she just pays them. She uses PAYG mobile/ broadband so can't show a phone bill registered to her name and address either.

Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be able to register with a doctor, without first being registered on the padron. She needed a doctor this week and received very prompt treatment as an "emergency" case, but sooner or later everyone needs a doctor for something which cannot really be termed as an emergency.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I know these things can be difficult in Spain with requirements varying from place to place, and day to day, but are there any guidelines on registering on the Padron and with a doctor.

So far my daughter has been unable to register on the Padron as they want a copy of a utility bill in her name. Unfortunately she can not produce this, as gas is the bottled variety and the landlords at both flats she has rented prefer to keep the bills in their name to ensure they are paid on time, and she just pays them. She uses PAYG mobile/ broadband so can't show a phone bill registered to her name and address either.

Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be able to register with a doctor, without first being registered on the padron. She needed a doctor this week and received very prompt treatment as an "emergency" case, but sooner or later everyone needs a doctor for something which cannot really be termed as an emergency.
Dont they accept a rental contract?

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts

yes you do need a copy of the padrón for the doctors - but she really should be able to get on the padrón with her rental contract

in 8.5 years we've never had utility bills in our name - but we've always been on the padrón

in fact, only 2 weeks ago I went & changed our address for the padrón & took my rental contract

they also wanteed photocopies of our passports & asked for copies of our resident certs- I happend to have those with me, but I got the impression that it would have been OK if I hadn't - it was the photo ID they really wanted

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grrr, no, she's taken her rental contract, employment contract, NIE, passport, etc. but they want something like a utility bill, in her name, at the address.

No matter to her really if she wasn't on the Padron - but really needs to be registered with a doctor.

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Grrr, no, she's taken her rental contract, employment contract, NIE, passport, etc. but they want something like a utility bill, in her name, at the address.

No matter to her really if she wasn't on the Padron - but really needs to be registered with a doctor.
that's ridiculous - & not legal either, I'm sure - since she's paying NI through her job she's entitled to use the healthcare & if she can't get that without the padrón...........

I'd go see a gestor tbh - they usually have some enchufe ;) & it shouldn't cost much

otoh is there a 'foreigners help desk/facility' at the ayuntamiento?

we've just got one of these - it has upset a few interpreters who were charging afortune for doing bu&&er all :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Maybe if she gets a letter from her landlord, stating she is the tenant and she pays the rent and bills which are in his name on a regular basis.
Does your daughter have a bank account here? with statements arriving to the address maybe they would accept that, if not perhaps she could open an account and have her wages paid into it.
Good luck with this, it must be worrying.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe if she gets a letter from her landlord, stating she is the tenant and she pays the rent and bills which are in his name on a regular basis.
Does your daughter have a bank account here? with statements arriving to the address maybe they would accept that, if not perhaps she could open an account and have her wages paid into it.
Good luck with this, it must be worrying.

Great minds..... I just emailed her suggesting a bank statement with all personal info tippexed out!

Think it might also be worth asking the landlord to write a letter.

I think half the problem is that young ones, in rude health, don't worry about these things. They just let them slip as you can't trot back and fore to an office that's only open while you're at work.

Time for nagging mother mode, I think.:eek:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
This happened to us in our first house. We got a letter from our landlady who, conveniently had a daughter who worked in the Ayuntamiento, so that solved that!!

·
Registered
19,381 Posts

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Isn't your daughter in Marbella?
If so, click the link on this page to Information regarding municipal residential registration and print out the page to take with her when she goesBuscar
There is states the documents accepted, one of then being the rental contract.
:clap2:

G

·
We had no problems doing this at the Marbella Town Hall and have no utility bills in our name. We just took 300 copies of our rental contract, a bank statement and the electric bill in the landlords name. All went through without any problems - they are very helpful in there! Remember that you will need a printed copy of the padron as they don't give you that by default, you have to pay a few euros* for that honour and in typical Spanish style you need a bit of paper from the man downstairs, take a trip up some stairs to the cashier person, pay them some coins, take a trip downstairs, jump the queue to get back to the person you spoke to and they will print it out

*unless you have a very cute newborn, then you get it for free it seems :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isn't your daughter in Marbella?
If so, click the link on this page to Information regarding municipal residential registration and print out the page to take with her when she goesBuscar
There is states the documents accepted, one of then being the rental contract.
And... here's a link to the oficina de extranjeros in Marbella
Oficina de Extranjeros de Marbella

Thanks ever so much, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Surely producing a copy of this should help.:clap2:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We had no problems doing this at the Marbella Town Hall and have no utility bills in our name. We just took 300 copies of our rental contract, a bank statement and the electric bill in the landlords name. All went through without any problems - they are very helpful in there! Remember that you will need a printed copy of the padron as they don't give you that by default, you have to pay a few euros* for that honour and in typical Spanish style you need a bit of paper from the man downstairs, take a trip up some stairs to the cashier person, pay them some coins, take a trip downstairs, jump the queue to get back to the person you spoke to and they will print it out

*unless you have a very cute newborn, then you get it for free it seems :D
Thanks Andy, sounds like it's just a case of bad luck with the wrong memeber of staff but, no way, she says is it worth having a baby just to get registered - no matter how cute :bathbaby:

PS. is this cute baby a he or a she?

G

·
Thanks Andy, sounds like it's just a case of bad luck with the wrong memeber of staff but, no way, she says is it worth having a baby just to get registered - no matter how cute :bathbaby:

PS. is this cute baby a he or a she?
Having a cute baby (it's a he) seems to get you everywhere so might just be worth it ;)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So she goes back today to exact same office, with exact same documents .......and is all signed up for padron within 10 minutes!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts