Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some one already have nationality of UK and another country.
Can he apply for Australian PR and later become Australian Citizen?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, this is legal. It goes by the name of dual nationality (also called plural nationality)..

Basically all dual nationality works by the laws of each country.

AU Citizenship law does not prohibit dual nationality
UK Citizenship law does not prohibit dual nationality
Your original birth country should also allow dual or plural nationality (i.e. does not prohibit holding more than one nationality).

Therefore one may become a Citizen of both countries (or > 2 countries).

If some one already have nationality of UK and another country.
Can he apply for Australian PR and later become Australian Citizen?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Yep, it is possible as long as all 3 countries allow it.

Hubby has double, our Kids have 2 and will have a 3rd in 2 years time.

The more the merrier if you ask me, it will allow them to live and work easily in 3 different countries.

Cheers,
Busyte

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi,

Yep, it is possible as long as all 3 countries allow it.

Hubby has double, our Kids have 2 and will have a 3rd in 2 years time.

The more the merrier if you ask me, it will allow them to live and work easily in 3 different countries.

Cheers,
Busyte
Yes, 3 countries will be fine. I will end up with UK, US & AU passports once I settle there. Technically US say they don't allow dual nationality, but won't revoke your US citizenship unless you explicitly renounce it.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
They do allow it, they just discourage it. Even if you tell them you have multiple nationality you can't lose your US nationality unless you explicitly state before a consular officer that you intend to renounce US Nationality.

I currently have (3) Nationalities including the US.

The only extra thing you have to do (and I just did this last week) is:
When you renew your US Passport you have to attach an extra letter explaining:
1. How did you get your extra Nationality AFTER your US Nationality
2. Your intention towards your US Nationality: Do you intend to retain it or relinquish it? <--- THIS IS YOUR STATEMENT BEFORE A CONSULAR OFFICER

This additional letter is required because if you look at acts and conditions of the US PP renewal form it states it as one of the things that needs an explanatory statement.

Oh and just make sure you use a US Passport to enter and leave the US, practically this means:
1. Show all PPs at Check-in desk at the airline (both sides of the trip)
2. Show US Passport at US customs and Border patrol
3. Show AU Passport at AU customs and Border proctection
4. Show other passports only when requested (i.e. US Customs might ask to see your AU Passport, just make sure you don't show it unless requested).

I've confirmed the above with Sydney Consulate

Yes, 3 countries will be fine. I will end up with UK, US & AU passports once I settle there. Technically US say they don't allow dual nationality, but won't revoke your US citizenship unless you explicitly renounce it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts