Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for reading,

I'm currently in a rather tricky situation. I'm a non EEA and my girlfriend is from Latvia. We have met while I was earning an undergraduate university degree almost 3 years ago. I graduated this summer and was going to continue to masters degree after which we were going to get married. However my visa application was refused based on a missing self-assessment form (which I distinctly remember attaching, but that's not important right now). This has messed up our plans.

Just in case, this is a genuine relationship, we do not have many photos, but for the last half a year or so we were living together which is reflected in the contracts being in both our names. We also have a full history of messages dating from day 1 basically. Although most of them were sent via Facebook but I deleted my account some time ago.

We are now planning to get married around December/January in Latvia and I'm thinking of applying for EEA family permit. There is a couple of things I am not sure about and that I would like to clarify before doing anything:

1. Does it matter where the marriage takes place? That is if we marry in Latvia, will that be somehow different from marrying in UK or Russia or anywhere else. (Provided we get an English marriage certificate or have it legally translated).

2. Will the fact that my visa application was declined affect my application for an EEA family permit? And how should I minimise this effect?

3. From what I understand - the documents required are: marriage certificate, copy of her passport endorsed by the National embassy, letter from her saying that I'm her husband and I'm going to UK to live with her and the document confirming she's employed (payslips, job contract). Is there anything else that would benefit the application?

4. I'm planning to apply pretty much right after we get married. Would that look bad or suspicious or affect the decision in any way?

And finally, if we get married in Latvia (and I'll be on a tourist visa), will I be able to apply to the british embassy in Latvia, or will I need to go back home and make an application from there?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.