Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am currently in Ireland but will be travelling to Spain soon. I have two pet budgies. I was wondering would anyone know what I should do before coming over so I can bring my birds with me? Which authority in Spain should I call for information?

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
IMPORTATION OF PETS

There are specific rules for different kinds of pets.

Birds, monkeys and other species will need a certificate stating that there has been no local outbreak of disease that would affect the species for the last 60 days. For more advice please contact the nearest Spanish Consulate.

Owners who intend to take their pets back to England must comply with the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), for their pet to be able to enter the UK without going into quarantine. For information on PETS, see www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm.
I suggest you speak to the equivalent department in Ireland

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I suggest you speak to the equivalent department in Ireland
This is it.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/petbirdsotherpets/

It refers to importing birds into Ireland, but similar rules will apply across all EU countries. There is a telephone number you can contact for clarification.

Requirements for importing pet birds from EU Member States

Persons bringing their pet birds to Ireland from another EU country on change of residence or on holiday may bring pet birds provided the following conditions are met:

The birds are accompanied en route by the owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner,

An Owner Declaration for Pet birds must accompany the bird/s en route,

A Form of Advance Notice of Import (link to forms): must be sent to the Animal Health and Welfare Division, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Kildare Street, Dublin 2, at least 24 hrs in advance of arrival of consignment in Ireland.

Enquiries to telephone 00353 1 6072274

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apologize for bumping this thread up again. I emailed the Agriculture ministery of Spain and they told me to check this section of their website up. I just want to make sure as I don't speak Spanish very well but from Translation I should accompany my bird, and should have the certificate filled out by a vet which is valid for 10 days. Is this correct?

Unfortunately I can't post links but this is copied from their website:

According to EU regulations, pet birds are considered to be birds of a species other than : hens, turkeys, guinea fowl, ducks, geese, pigeons, pheasants, partridges and ratites.

Pet displacement is considered as long as:

• No more than 5 animals, if they come from a third country
• Do not have a commercial purpose nor does there exist a transfer of ownership.
• Travel accompanying their owner or a person responsible for the animal or animals on their behalf during the trip. The movement of the animals is allowed in a means of transportation separate from that of the owner if it occurs within a period of no more than five days in relation to the movement of the owner / manager.

If the movement of your animal or animals does not correspond to that of pets, then it is a commercial movement.
1. Travel to Spain from an EU country
To introduce poultry in Spain from another EU country, they must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate in accordance with the INTRA-2 model , drawn up in at least the Spanish language and issued in the last 10 days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts