Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take my 12 week old Great Dane across the border from France to Spain for a day trip. She has had her rabies jab and has her pet passport but the bloodtest has not been done yet. Am I ok to take her across without this?

·
Administrator
49,407 Posts
AFAIK the blood test after the rabies vaccination is a requirement mostly for the UK. If you're going between France and Spain, the European pet passport should be sufficient.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
94 Posts
AFAIK the blood test after the rabies vaccination is a requirement mostly for the UK. If you're going between France and Spain, the European pet passport should be sufficient.
Cheers,
Bev
I wonder if you will even be stopped. When we rented a car and drove our dog from Germany to France two weeks ago, we weren't even stopped. A slight slow-down at the border place, but they waved us through without hesitation.

·
Administrator
49,407 Posts
I wonder if you will even be stopped. When we rented a car and drove our dog from Germany to France two weeks ago, we weren't even stopped. A slight slow-down at the border place, but they waved us through without hesitation.
Is there anyone at the borders these days? When I moved from Germany to France 15 years ago, there was no one manning the borders. You only had to slow down in order to squeeze through the little lanes still in place from when there were border agents. A couple months ago, we went through the same route and even the guard booths have been dismantled.

It's more likely you'll need to show the pet passport to an innkeeper or camping ground operator than that anyone "official" will ask for it.
Cheers,
Bev

M

·
0 Posts
IME no-one gives a hoot.

In August 06 we moved our 7 dogs and three cats from the UK to our house in France, no-one from any organisation at all even asked to see the animals, let alone the paperwork, despite being told very clearly 'we have animals in the car'. Si Im glad we spent all that money on the vaccinations, tests, certificates, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There were police at the border between Germany and France on the A4. But they waved us through. In the US we have our animals vaccinated against certain things on a yearly basis, and rabies on a three-year basis. Since we do this anyway, so the only extra hassle was getting the health certificates stamped by the State of Michigan USDA vet.

I'd rather have it all done right than take a chance on not being allowed in with the dog. What would you do in that case? You'd have to turn around and go back. Or possibly risk having the animal quarantined on the spot?

·
Administrator
49,407 Posts
Was just at the vet's yesterday (taking the second cat in for shots) and they mentioned the European pet passport again. AFAICT it's really only for boarding pets or having them stay with you in a hotel or campsite. It might be useful when changing countries if only as a standard document to show your new vet what shots your pet has already had.

But for travel within Europe, from one home to another, I don't think you've ever really needed this sort of thing. (Maybe to bring animals into the UK.) I brought my two cats from Germany to France and they hadn't been vaccinated in a couple years - though they did need all their shots up to date to enter the EU from the US.
Cheers,
Bev

M

·
0 Posts
<<<if only as a standard document to show your new vet what shots your pet has already had.>>>

Good in theory, but I was warned beforehand that when I to present the rabble to the french vets for registration they would ignore everything in the passport and insist on starting over. Now far be it for me to link this to the words 'blatant profiteering', but........

In the event, my new vet DID agree that the UK jabs were OK, maybe he thought that to lose a new customer with 9/10 animals ( it's currently 14...) was not a good idea.

<<<But for travel within Europe, from one home to another, I don't think you've ever really needed this sort of thing. (Maybe to bring animals into the UK.)>>>

Up to the Tunnel opening, UK customs were red-hot on this; with good reason, since the UK has been rabies-free since the 60s outbreak due to some plank of a military man smuggling his pet in.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.