Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking on various countries websites and going through the forum I am still unsure on the rules.

My zimbabwean spouse has recently been granted her first leave to remain after entering the UK on a fiancé visa.

We are now trying to book a holiday this summer to Europe.

If my spouse is travelling with me will she be able to enter a Schengen country with just her UK residence permit as long as she is accompanied by myself? In other words she does not need to apply for a Schengen visa?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
UK visas and permits are only valid for the UK itself, so she is restricted to the visa requirements between the country she wishes to visit and the country of her passport issue. She may have to apply separately for visas, if applicable

·
Registered
494 Posts
After looking on various countries websites and going through the forum I am still unsure on the rules.

My zimbabwean spouse has recently been granted her first leave to remain after entering the UK on a fiancé visa.

We are now trying to book a holiday this summer to Europe.

If my spouse is travelling with me will she be able to enter a Schengen country with just her UK residence permit as long as she is accompanied by myself? In other words she does not need to apply for a Schengen visa?
As clever-octopus has already stated, your wife will indeed still need to apply for a Schengen visa. The good news however is that - as the spouse of a UK (and hence EU) citizen - the visa is issued free of charge and the application process is significantly simplified and expedited.

Normally*, the embassy/consulate will only require the following:

- completed Schengen visa application form
- two passport photos of the applicant
- marriage certificate
- both passports

(*I say "normally" because some countries insist on additional documents such as flight or hotel bookings, see: EU – Travel documents for non-EU family members – Your Europe - scroll down to "Applying for a Visa".)

teuchter

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you are lucky, you may be issued a multi-entry visa valid for 1-2 years (but each visit limited to 90-in-180 days) so you don't have to get a new visa for every visit. To issue or not is at the discretion of the embassy/consulate staff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have a similar question

im egyptian and i used to live in france where i have a valid residence card. currently I'm living in the uk and i have uk residence card I'm planning to visit spain. do i still need to apply for a visa taking in consideration that i still have a valid residence card in france!!!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your French residence card is probably invalid as you now live in UK.
If your document was issued as family member of EEA citizen, then you can use it to visit Spain, but only with your EEA partner or if you are joining him/her in Spain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Joppa
technically yes it might be invalid but i often travel to france and had no bother. i have a house there and my bills are running every month.
i hope this will be ok

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.