Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Created a tread for people traveling to AU in Jan\feb 2016.

Please provide guidance on Ticket purchase from India to AU (Sydney, Melbourne, etc)
Accommodation Strategies
Job Hunt in Jan\Feb is it better compared to July \AUG

·
Registered
83 Posts
:fingerscrossed: Mate. Wanted to put a placeholder :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey mate,

I too am travelling in Jan 2016. Ill keep this thread posted on any developments on my end.

I plan to stay with a friend initially and then find a house share there.

I will be making a visa validation trip in October. Booked the tickets on Malaysian airlines. The priority was convenient times for my kid. the round trip fare averaged at 50K per head round trip. when i checked SL airlines were giving the cheapest fares of about 45K round trip but it has 2 stops and overall wait for transfers was long. I am hoping that the flight wont delay and we have an uneventful journey :). Again my stay will be with my friend. After I booked the flight I figured that booking directly from the flight website will fetch you a better rate (approx 2000 per ticket in my case) than booking from the online travel vendors. It was only after I booked the tickets that one of my friends reminded me of the MH 370 case. http://www.expatforum.com/expats/images/smilies/animated/pray2.gif

Anyone started looking for jobs or got any initial interview calls?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You made a right choice by not opting for SL, the flight route is like a local govt bus. The travel time is somewhere near 30+ hours with 2 stops.
Singapore is excellent, Quantas is the best on this route but expensive. MH is fine, I traveled MH to SYD in March this year not long after the whole episode and they are ok. They did loose our luggage on the way back but I got it back within 48 hours of arrival. The flight from BLR to KL is not great but KL to SYD is good

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,
i am looking to book flights for Jan and finding it to be very expensive 55-58K round trip from mumbai to Sydney for MH Jan 16. not sure why its high even 6 months before the journey date.

Singapore is 69K, jet at 84K. I am still not sure if this would be a validation or long term for one of us between me and my spouse. Looking up for accommodation on Facebook forums and airbnb roughly between AUD$300-400 per week for a couple.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi guys,
i am looking to book flights for Jan and finding it to be very expensive 55-58K round trip from mumbai to Sydney for MH Jan 16. not sure why its high even 6 months before the journey date.

Singapore is 69K, jet at 84K. I am still not sure if this would be a validation or long term for one of us between me and my spouse. Looking up for accommodation on Facebook forums and airbnb roughly between AUD$300-400 per week for a couple.
hey cprogramer,
You going to Aussie for visa validation in Jan? if not then y the round trip? One way fares would be good right. If it is for a validation trip then airline+hotel options may work cheaper.

I guess those are the rates on these carriers. you could wait and watch for Air Asia and Tiger Airways for deals that keep coming out but you cannot be sure whether the flight rates+ baggage+food will together be any better than the rate you are getting now. These rates will increase in every month. When I booked my tickets in May (for October) it was approx 55K per adult (To Melbourne) now it is 61K for the same flight. I am not booking my tickets for Jan until I return from my validation trip. I am planning to go alone at first in JAn. So I can opt for the cheapest available option then

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I am still not sure if the trip in jan will be a validation only trip or longer one. With the economy slowing down its getting a bit difficult to decide how things would be in jan and leaving a stable job seems very risky.

The effect of slow down is also seen in India as the projects\sales drying up in the local and international markets. AU economy is highly skewed towards mining and that to is drying up as most mines now go into production\operation phase.

well long story short, I am trying to play safe :) but need to take a decision now as my IED is first week of feb 2016.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

I am still not sure if the trip in jan will be a validation only trip or longer one. With the economy slowing down its getting a bit difficult to decide how things would be in jan and leaving a stable job seems very risky.

The effect of slow down is also seen in India as the projects\sales drying up in the local and international markets. AU economy is highly skewed towards mining and that to is drying up as most mines now go into production\operation phase.

well long story short, I am trying to play safe :) but need to take a decision now as my IED is first week of feb 2016.
Cool mate,
Best of luck. Just remember if you are actually planning to look at the job market during validation trip try travelling during the month of Feb cos what i heard is that all will be in holiday mode till end of Jan.
What I am doing is one of us (me alone) will go to aussie and try and find a job. Once I get a decent job then I plan to bring my wife and kid along. She still has her job here in India. that would pay the bills in India. For my expenses we are breaking the piggy bank and taking all our savings. So, whatever happens one of us will always have a job (unless the working person gets laid off :)).
This is the way we plan to hedge our risks and still start with our great adventure :).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok this may be a bit off topic.

Has anyone booked international tickets with major online travel agents before. I have booked my tickets and it shows in the agent website. But when i check with the PNR in the Malaysian Airlines website I don't see it. when I called MA they said check with the agent. The Agent Help desk says they will take care of it and as long as it is in their records it is fine.

I am a bit worried. I have paid the full amount. I really expect to see my details on the MA website as well. Anyone faced a similar issue before?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Double check

well this should not be the case, the PNR that you have should be available with the airlines as well.

Remember you are traveling with MH and not by your Travel agent..he is just a middle man\facilitator your records and flight details should match the one with airlines and if they don't have the record then either your agent has the ability to block tickets in bulk as they can in terms of group tours etc or its a con

Try to double check the reputation of the agent and how long he has served in your area in the travel's business. also you have every right to ask questions till you are satisfied. keep callling MH at regular intervals to just check if their records are updated.

Ok this may be a bit off topic.

Has anyone booked international tickets with major online travel agents before. I have booked my tickets and it shows in the agent website. But when i check with the PNR in the Malaysian Airlines website I don't see it. when I called MA they said check with the agent. The Agent Help desk says they will take care of it and as long as it is in their records it is fine.

I am a bit worried. I have paid the full amount. I really expect to see my details on the MA website as well. Anyone faced a similar issue before?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey,
I got the whole thing sorted out. The agent was Make my trip. I did not want to defame anyone before i got the whole picture. I called up the international call center for MA. They told me that the Pnr section in their website is only for tickets directly booked through them. If you book through an agent it does not show up on their web site. They also mailed me the itinerary. The issue is that neither the MMT guys nor the MA guys in India could give me this info. I ran behind them for a week and they could not give me this info. I just happened to call the international number today since their bangalore office was not working.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tickets

Great! things are sorted.
what all vendors you looked at before booking your ticket. did you get the lowest price on MMT?

Do update us on strategy to find the lowest price for tickets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello All,

Subscribing…

Since im also planning to move in Feb 2016.. with spouse and 3 yr old kid..

Planning to book accommodation through airbnb and then check for rental..

Started searching for flights.. from here the cheapest seems to be Air India..

All the best guys…

·
Registered
98 Posts
like I had mentioned earlier I found that it was 1-2k cheaper per ticket to book directly from the airline website. I found this only after i completed my booking. you let me know your booking experience

·
Registered
98 Posts
looking at flights from bangalore to Melbourne I and am getting air asia for 23k per head on the 1st of Feb. that looks like the cheapest for one way. It has a 7 hour waiting in KL though.

Anyone know the cost of luggage in Air Asia? Is food provided in the cost or do we need to pay for that as well?

@ ben. Looks like you are travelling from somewhere in the Middle east. I don't know of the prices from there but it is surprising that Air India would be the cheapest option. For Air India it would be Dubai - Delhi/Bombay - Melbourne, whereas the malasyan airlines/AirAsia etc options would be travelling shorter distances. Plase do keep us posted on your plans and travels

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah Jim... Me too. It's via Delhi... Will keep you all posted...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey all,
Could anyone suggest suburbs in Melbourne for a single person to house share? Sadly my wife has pampered me too much to be comfortable sharing a room with another mate. So was thinking of renting a single room in Jan.

So my question is, Would it be better staying in a zone 1 suburb (i assume the rents are higher here) and save on travel cost or go to a zone 2 suburb (again i assume rents will be lower) and pay the increased travel cost?
Can anyone suggest a suburb ideal for a single guy who is unemployed (cannot spend too much :) and has to keep travelling to CBD). I Also happened see a few websites (Agents I guess) in Melbourne that manage and maintain house shares. Are they legal or are they part of the group op people who cram 50-60 people in a 4 bedroom house?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am in the IT industry.
I have people I know in Melbourne so I am at an advantage to start a social circle there. Any other state would mean starting from scratch. IT Jobs in Melbourne are not that bad and hence the choice.

Having said that If I land a job in Perth or Sydney I would move there at the drop of a hat :).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great! right choice! you need people during the initial days its just a mental crutch still helps a lot. I also planned for Melbourne initially, had spent a day in the city and like it a lot they still have tramps there :)

But read\suggestion from friends that Sydney has more jobs opp for IT & related services. so now the landing place is Sydney at lest what i am thinking of till this minute.

I am in the IT industry.
I have people I know in Melbourne so I am at an advantage to start a social circle there. Any other state would mean starting from scratch. IT Jobs in Melbourne are not that bad and hence the choice.

Having said that If I land a job in Perth or Sydney I would move there at the drop of a hat :).

1 - 20 of 121 Posts