Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gays
i applied for EEA family permit and i got it now we r planning to travel within the next week,This is my situation, I'm a Egyptian Citizen marrying a Polish girl
, but I have heard that when i get the EEA Family Permit, i CANNOT travel outside the UK WITHOUT her, and that if i come back to the UK alone, the immigration officer at the port may not let me in. Is it true that an EEA Family Permit holder cannot enter the UK with out the presence of the sponsor at the port?
best regards
Amir ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry i forgot to ask another question i have international driving permit and Egyptian driving licence do i need to take driving test to be able to drive? cheers

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
You can enter UK on your own, provided you are joining your EEA partner already there. As for travelling outside UK, family permit is only valid for UK so you need Schengen visa or other visas other countries require of Egyptians. When you successful get your residence card, that can be used to travel throughout EEA with your partner or if you are joining her.

You only need Egyptian driving licence to drive up to a year in UK, after which you must pass the tests to get UK licence. Get an English translation of your licence or you can use IDP for that purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have a related question: I am German, my wife is Chinese, we got the EEA family permit for her (it says "VISA EEA FP: FAMILY MEMBER To (my name)"). I am now in China with my wife (she gave birth to our son seven weeks ago ...) and we want to travel back to UK together soon.

We would like to visit my parents in Germany as we stop in Amsterdam anyway.
(sorry, I could not properly use the search function of this forum page as it relies on google ... and I am in China ... everything related to banned pages is just slowed down ---)

My questions:
*1* As I understand the previous discussions, my wife cannot travel (even with me) in Schengen countries without having the "residence card" from UK, am I right? --- I am just going to apply for a Schengen visa (visit family members) at the German consulate, I guess that's necessary, yes?
*2* If she gets the "residence card" (via an EEA2 form), can we then travel to any Schengen country including Germany (as I am German citizen)? [I find these rules quite confusing ... against any common sense ... EU law against national law ... ] Do we always have to travel together?
*3* If we apply for the "residence card", how long does it take and what if we want to travel before we get her passport back (assuming e.g. we get the Schengen visa now)?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Hi,

I have a related question: I am German, my wife is Chinese, we got the EEA family permit for her (it says "VISA EEA FP: FAMILY MEMBER To (my name)"). I am now in China with my wife (she gave birth to our son seven weeks ago ...) and we want to travel back to UK together soon.

We would like to visit my parents in Germany as we stop in Amsterdam anyway.
(sorry, I could not properly use the search function of this forum page as it relies on google ... and I am in China ... everything related to banned pages is just slowed down ---)

My questions:
*1* As I understand the previous discussions, my wife cannot travel (even with me) in Schengen countries without having the "residence card" from UK, am I right? --- I am just going to apply for a Schengen visa (visit family members) at the German consulate, I guess that's necessary, yes?
Yes, she will need a Schengen visa until she gets her residence card, and even then, she can only use it to travel together with you or for joining you already in a Schengen country. For a trip entirely on her own, she will still need Schengen visa, which can be issued for multi-entry, 90-in-180 days for a year or longer duration. Such visas are normally only issued to those who show a genuine need for it, such as a business person and not usually for someone who only goes abroad a couple of times a year.

*2* If she gets the "residence card" (via an EEA2 form), can we then travel to any Schengen country including Germany (as I am German citizen)? [I find these rules quite confusing ... against any common sense ... EU law against national law ... ] Do we always have to travel together?
Yes, including Germany, as you are exercising treaty rights in UK.

*3* If we apply for the "residence card", how long does it take and what if we want to travel before we get her passport back (assuming e.g. we get the Schengen visa now)?
Usual timeframe is around 2-3 months. You can request your passport back, and it will not prejudice your application. i.e. it will stay in the queue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Return to UK after expired EEA permit

Hello, me again ;-) ...

Our situation is the following: I applied for a EEA Family Permit for my (Chinese) wife (I am German), valid from 29th June till 28th December. I was stupid enough to have such an early starting date (as we entered the UK only mid of August). Since we were again travelling to (Schengen-)Europe together with our new-born son (my wife got a multiple entry visiting visa), we could apply for the residence card only beginning of October.

I am a bit afraid that the two months till December are not enough for them to give us the residence card ... we want to travel to Germany over Christmas, and come back to UK in the third week of January, and I am afraid that with the EEA Family Permit being expired at that time the UKBA will not let my wife come back to UK.

Should I just be optimistic and wait and hope we get it on time ...? What options we have in case she does not get the residence card on time? Can we apply for an EEA Family Permit again? [I remember that I found discussions that, according to EU law, UKBA should let my wife back to UK even without residence card or with expired EEA Permit, but I am afraid this will always end up in endless discussions at the border point ...]

Another question: for how long the Residence Permit will be issued? My job is permanent in UK, so in principle they should give us 5 years? The problem now is that I will start a work in April in Germany, and I have to tell my employer soon. Will the residence card only be valid if I still have my job here? The idea behind was that with a residence card, we could easily travel to UK without further paperworks (but probably UKBA will realise this, as my wife enters UK then only for a few weeks, so this is a stupid idea?)

A question related to Germany: Would it be possible that my wife enters Germany with her Schengen visit visa and then within the country applies for a national spouse visa? I am afraid that most countries don't want this ...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Processing times RC/reentering UK after Expired EEA/FP

Hi again,

May I ask again some of my questions?

My wife (Chinese) is on a EEA Family permit with me (German) in UK. We applied for a residence card beginning of October, and we would need it mid of December ... quite optimistic, or?

My questions:

(1) How can we enter the UK in January again (after a trip to Germany for Christmas, when her EEA Family permit expired (30/12/2014))?
Can we apply again for a EEA Family permit in Germany?

(2) I will resign from my job at university soon (as I got a new one in Germany next April) [so probably the residence card is useless anyway ...]
-a- when the UKBA will contact my employer?
-b- will this effect the time the residence card is valid?
-c- can my wife later on (if the card is still valid, but she has stayed some time with me in Germany, of course on a proper visa ...) enter the UK again with a residence card? How much time of absence is accepted?

Hope to get some answers ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.