Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You will all know by now of the horrendous loss of life in the Pedrógão Grande area of Portugal.

Many of you will know that TRAVELLING MAN lives in the area.

I have just come off the phone with him HE IS SAFE
however there is no certainty about his house as when he left the fires was within meters of the house.
20 minutes previously it had been 15 plus kms away!
They fled with their pets and he and his wife are safe. But the have no knowledge of the state of their home.
So far he knowS that there are 11 deaD in his village and 4 in two villages close by.
The flames descended so quickly anyone is lucky to be alive.

STAY SAFE TRAVELLING MAN

·
Registered
207 Posts
You will all know by now of the horrendous loss of life in the Pedrógão Grande area of Portugal.

Many of you will know that TRAVELLING MAN lives in the area.

I have just come off the phone with him HE IS SAFE
however there is no certainty about his house as when he left the fires was within meters of the house.
20 minutes previously it had been 15 plus kms away!
They fled with their pets and he and his wife are safe. But the have no knowledge of the state of their home.
So far he know that there are 11 dea in his village and 4 in two villages close by.
The flames descended so quickly anyone is lucky to be alive.

STAY SAFE TRAVELLING MAN
Thanks for the update, glad he is safe.
My house is just a few miles away from his. My ex-wife lives there. She has reported in as being safe also. Apparently our garden is burned but the house survived, just 1 cracked window is the only damage. How lucky!

Sending love to all involved in the area! <3

·
Super Moderator
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MATTSKII so pleased to hear that your ex wife is safe. I know the area quite well as we have visited Travelling Man and the news is horrendous.

There are some concerns about another expat that no one has been able to contact - He is known as Digger Dave.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thank you Matt and Siobhán for the updates. I had not heard of Digger Dave before. My thoughts go out to him and all others affected in the area.

Matt, if you are in touch with your ex and she needs help with anything, please give her our contact details.

·
Super Moderator
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update from steve

OK world. Just to let you all know Susan, Loola the Lab, our cat and I are all safe. The house survived with superficial damage but our ducks were sadly lost..... but I consider myself the luckiest man in the universe. I saved that which is most precious to me and losses are mostly minimal. Others here have lost everything and in my village alone, 11 perished. The best thingabout Portugal is the Portuguese people who are supportive and welcoming and their community spirit and support is phenomenal. I thank them all especially the rescue services who are all heroes. I thank them alL. In closing, we beat death so the grim reaper can go f**k himself

·
Super Moderator
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a further update

No time to read all my notifications but a quick update...... The fire literally burned right up to the house and it's an absolute f**king miracle that the house and JEEP survived! - Biggest problem is the waste pipes under the house seem to have partially melted so the stone floors may have to come up...... we have power via generator and sporadic water but are surviving at home........ Safari life taught us how to be self sufficient........... Our entire village is in mourning cannot express how sad it is

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Still safe and have the essentials but entire village is in mourning........ soooo many dead

We beat death by seconds & raced the fire for miles so the grim reaper can voetsak.

Our entire village and the area for miles around is devastated in every imaginable way....... but our losses are minimal compared to most here

·
Registered
858 Posts
Still safe and have the essentials but entire village is in mourning........ soooo many dead

We beat death by seconds & raced the fire for miles so the grim reaper can voetsak.

Our entire village and the area for miles around is devastated in every imaginable way....... but our losses are minimal compared to most here
Hi TM. Thanks for getting in touch and we're so pleased to hear you have made it. You had us worried there! If there is anything that we can do to help, and I mean anything, please do not hesitate to ask. Do you have any news of Maggy Crawford? Does she live in the area?

Colin & Graça

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey TM so happy to hear from you! Was worried. Well done for getting out.
My house in Moita also survived, the fire burned right through the garden and between it and the house next door breaking 1 window. It was that close. Elaine ran for it, being chased along the N236 by the fire as she went. Thank god she is OK too.
Much love to everyone there

·
Registered
858 Posts
Maggy & Graham are safe & along with their relatives Bob & Barbara have been incredibly supportive to us. - Love 'em all to bits!

I cannot begin to express how lucky we were in so many ways but that's a story for another day
Thanks for the update TM. Don't forget where we are if you need anything.

Just Palawan and Digger Dave to account for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Glad you and your wife are safe, but I can imagine you are still in shock!

Our thoughts are with all who are effected by these terrible fires. Terrible that so many people lost their lifes.
But also sad for all those who lost their home!

And sad because of the terrible damage made to the nature in this vast area!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.