Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excited to be on this forum. I am from India (male) planning to move to the U.K with my British partner and hoping to use this forum to gather support and offer it back accordingly.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fiance visa to the UK from a European country?

Dear expat forum,

Ill keep this concise.

I am an Indian citizen with a British partner. I intend to get a fiance visa and have the necessary documents in place. But my concern is that Ill be heading to Europe for work in a few weeks and won't be coming back to India any time soon. Subsequently, Ill be starting a masters degree in the UK from September this year.

Is it possible for me to apply for a fiance visa from a European country? I intend to get a finace visa which I understand also allows me to study in the UK.

Regards

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Generally no. You can only apply in India or where you hold legal residence (not visitor stay). Your choice is to apply now for your fiancé visa (you may need to postpone your trip to Europe - remember which is more important), or get another passport for your travel to Europe with appropriate visa endorsement. I don't know about India, but many countries allow a second passport for frequent business travellers to enable them to apply for a visa while travelling on business.
I'm not sure if you are allowed to study while on fiancé visa, which is only valid for 6 months. You will be able to once you get your leave to remain as spouse following your marriage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally no. You can only apply in India or where you hold legal residence (not visitor stay). Your choice is to apply now for your fiancé visa (you may need to postpone your trip to Europe - remember which is more important), or get another passport for your travel to Europe with appropriate visa endorsement. I don't know about India, but many countries allow a second passport for frequent business travellers to enable them to apply for a visa while travelling on business.
I'm not sure if you are allowed to study while on fiancé visa, which is only valid for 6 months. You will be able to once you get your leave to remain as spouse following your marriage.
yes, thanks Joppa. I spent a good chunk of time on the forums and got this response on a few similar threads. I won't be able to get a residence permit for just a 1 month trip to Europe, so will have to come back to India. Can't get another passport either.

On a slightly different but relevant note, is one allowed to have a UK visitor visa and a UK student visa on a single passport at the same time? (My guess is no, but wanted to clarify anyways and apologies if this isn't immediately relevant to immigration).

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
You can have different visas, but only one can be activated at any one time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.