Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am currently waiting for my first carte de sejour. I moved here to be with my husband who is here on an assignment for work. He moved here earlier, so he already has his residence card, however, I am still waiting for mine. My initial visa issued by the french consulate in the U.S. expired last month, and I do have my premier recepisse, but I was told I could not travel with the premier recepisse. I have plans to go to Ireland which is not a part of the Schengen area (will face customs).

The suggestion from the prefecture was to just utilize my U.S. passport since U.S. citizens are allowed to enter into France on the 3 month tourist stay, however, I am unsure if this will work considering I did not go back to the U.S. to get the stamp which would then begin my "3 months" without a visa.

Hopefully that is clear. Any and all advice will help!

Thanks,

Annie

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
On entry to France, they normally don't check for your exit stamps - even if you still sport a long-stay visa in your passport. They generally just assume you're a tourist and stamp you in. If they notice and/or mention the expired visa, you just say that you know and either show them your recepisse or just say that you're back for a visit. They'll stamp you in as a tourist and that will probably be the end of it.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.