Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a 3 week journey through Mexico, Starting in Merida, possibly stopping in Campeche, SMA, Guanajuato, Guadalajara and ending up in Puerto Vallarta.
Having only visited PV (and fallen in love with the place), I have no knowledge of the rest of Mexico. We hope to travel by bus.

I would love to have ideas on this journey. Posted or personal replies are OK.

My wish is to move full time or part time (unknown as of yet) to Mexico. I believe 3 weeks could give me a little more insight into other areas where I have yet to visit.

No reservations except for first and last nights most likely and will find places in between. This would be a new way for me to travel.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am looking into a 3 week journey through Mexico, Starting in Merida, possibly stopping in Campeche, SMA, Guanajuato, Guadalajara and ending up in Puerto Vallarta.
Having only visited PV (and fallen in love with the place), I have no knowledge of the rest of Mexico. We hope to travel by bus.

I would love to have ideas on this journey. Posted or personal replies are OK.

My wish is to move full time or part time (unknown as of yet) to Mexico. I believe 3 weeks could give me a little more insight into other areas where I have yet to visit.

No reservations except for first and last nights most likely and will find places in between. This would be a new way for me to travel.
sunny:

May I presume you mean to fly into Mérida and fly out of Puerto Vallarta? You almost certainly do not intend to head back to Merida ´I would think. It´s hard to advise you but since I know all the places you intend to visit on your itinerary, I can say it is an ambitious undertaking in three weeks but doable. After all, the luxury bus system in Mexico is excellent and far better than anything available in the U.S.

I am not sure about your route structure but if I were you I would skip Campeche, a one hour town at most and a real yawner, and take an express luxury bus to Guadalajara from Mérida, perhaps through Mexico City. Then take express buses to San Miguel and Guanajuato then back to take a bus to Guadalajara and an express bus to Puerto Vallarata when you feel like it as they leave all the time .

If I am not mistaken, you may have to change bus terminals in Mexico City to get from Merida to Guadalajara which is a pain in the ass so why not spend a day or two in Mexico City which is far more interesting than those places you plan to visit. If you must change bus terminals across town in Mexico City, take the express bus from Merida, get of in Mexico City, spend a night or two or more in that unbelievably exciting metropolis and then take a five hour luxury bus to Guadalajara and, believe me, these are luxurious buses or, you can fly from Mexico City to Guadalajara in less than an hour versus five plus hours by bus and, with today´s discounted airline tickets, that is very cheap. Sometimes cheaper than the bus fare.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of Mexico City also. My travel partner was saying she was not interested in Mexico City, but I am!

I would think that going from Mexico City to Guadalajara then back to SMA is a roundabout way. No?

I would love to see the coast off of the East side of Mexico also. Start there and head WEST!

What about Oaxaca?

·
Registered
790 Posts
If I ever take such a trip I'd fly into Cancun as it's a very good airport with low cost fares. Work my way down the Riviera Maya to Tulum, over to Merida, from there to San Cristobal de las Casas, up to the Oaxaca coast, on to Oaxaca City, up to Puebla, maybe over to Xalapa, then to Mexico City, on to San Miguel with side trips to Bernal and Tequisquiapan, and finish the way you are planning from San Miguel plus the Lake Chapala area from Guadalajara. That would take longer than 3 weeks but doable if you throw some flights in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks like on the google map that from Tulum, there is no direct road to Merida. I have not looked at the other areas yet. Are you talking about driving around? Would be wonderful to have people do to this trip with us! :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looks like on the google map that from Tulum, there is no direct road to Merida. I have not looked at the other areas yet. Are you talking about driving around? Would be wonderful to have people do to this trip with us! :)
You'd probably want to bus to Tulum and back then on to Merida from Cancun. Not alot of distance added. There is at least one discount airline that flies from Cancun to Tuxtla Gutierrez which is the airport for San Cristobal. If possible you might want to try the boat ride through Sumidero Canyon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 week journey

I just thought about this trip last night. I have a year before I would go, so much time to plan! I don't want to end up on the "3 hour tour" so to speak!

In reading the replies so far, I see that there are many other places to be seen that are not main tourist areas, which would be best for me. Less tourists = better trip.

I would also like responses on busses, how much to pack or not to pack (could traveling with a large suitcase be an issue on a bus), more destination ideas, etc...

So, so far, thanks all!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If moving is your goal I would seriously think about living on the hot/humid coast or in a more temperate climate in the highlands. Big difference for summer living.

I'm old so wouldn't think of covering as much as you propose .... but seriously, coasts or highlands are a big reason why people settle where they do. A little tighter focus might be good

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You'd probably want to bus to Tulum and back then on to Merida from Cancun. Not alot of distance added. There is at least one discount airline that flies from Cancun to Tuxtla Gutierrez which is the airport for San Cristobal. If possible you might want to try the boat ride through Sumidero Canyon.
OK, to each his own but here is what I would advise as a resident of the Chiapas Highlands and sometimes visitor to Tulum.

Tulum village is a dump. a place of zero consequence. A village with so few amenities and butt-ugly to boot that it is hard to believe that anyone would live there if they had bus fare to Playa del Carmen or Akumal. This place s so sorry it redefines the definition of crap. However, the beaches are splendid but the town itself is depressing beyond belief.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moving at some point is my goal.

The goal of this would be to get the *%#@ away for 3 weeks and look around.
Travel, look, take pictures, eat whatever.

Tighter focus is why I always went to PV. Because I love it there. But the heat and humidity! Yikes! So venturing elsewhere and posting about my ideas of destinations are a start, it gets others to post ideas that may be more sound, people who have been or lived in those parts!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[QUOTE=sunnyinvallarta;2326929]Looks like on the google map that from Tulum, there is no direct road to Merida. I have not looked at the other areas yet. Are you talking about driving around? Would be wonderful to have people do to this trip with us! :)[/QUOTE]

There is a direct road from Merida to Tulum and it is a good road although not apparent at first glance. Merida to Valladolid and east to Chemax and southeast through Coba to Tulum. Good roads all the way and the ruins at Coba are not to be missed in the Yucatan. Marvelous. A great and fun drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny though, I am not worried about it being 2 females traveling around. Really no worries. I do not get drunk, do not wear much jewelry, am not rich, do not put myself into poor situations in any place I travel.

People I meet, when I tell them I want to live in Mexico, or am traveling to Mexico, their faces squich up and go - "oooh, awful".

I am surprised at how the American government says how dangerous it is to travel. How people react with "Mexico is dangerous and I would never go there" and this person is on their way to New York City.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't take a large suitcase with you, it will prove to be a nuisance.

I suggest a duffel bag with lots of compartments (look in an REI store for one), and pack mix and match clothes. If you need additional items, you can buy them in your travels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A duffel bag that is more like a backpack?
But what about the crap that I may buy along the way??? :)
Truly, there are a few items that I know are made in certain areas that I may
look for.

So how best to bring things back to the US? I am used to one place and a suitcase, packet it up and go. Not schlep it all over the country.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.