Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The USDA is telling me that the certicate that we need to take our dog to France will be good for 4 months. He says that will allow us to travel around Europe. Does anyone know if we will need a dog "passport" to move between various countries in Europe after the 4 months? If so, how do we get one?

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
The European pet passport is available through any vet. Last time I checked, it only costs about 7€. Basically, it's just a listing of current vaccinations - can probably be based on the health certificate from the USDA, though the vet may charge you for the visit since you're not a regular patient.

You need the pet passport any time you kennel your dog, or to "legally" have your dog with you in many hotels and camp grounds.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've just 'received' my puppy into France (we're staying here until the end of the month and then going back to Italy for a few months...then back to France...then back to Italy blah blah blah)

Before he left Australia he had to have all of his vaccinations PLUS a rabies vaccination...when he arrived the 'customs and import' office gave us paperwork stating when he'd had those vaccinations and when he was next due to have them...we'll be taking him to a vet within the next week to get the Pet Passport (generally the back and forth from Italy to France we do is by car, and I have paperwork showing he's vaccinated but if we want to take him by plane, train, or to other EU countries we will need to Passport...also you need to have your pet in Europe for 6 months before you can go to the UK)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a "pet passport" blue little book type of thing my old vet gave me. I have filled it out but am not sure if I have to have a vet sign off on the list of vacinations that the dog has had. I am thinking of just cutting out the section from the vet paperwork which shows the shots and sticking that in the passport. Will that work or do you know if they require the vet signature somewhere?
Yvonne
I've just 'received' my puppy into France (we're staying here until the end of the month and then going back to Italy for a few months...then back to France...then back to Italy blah blah blah)

Before he left Australia he had to have all of his vaccinations PLUS a rabies vaccination...when he arrived the 'customs and import' office gave us paperwork stating when he'd had those vaccinations and when he was next due to have them...we'll be taking him to a vet within the next week to get the Pet Passport (generally the back and forth from Italy to France we do is by car, and I have paperwork showing he's vaccinated but if we want to take him by plane, train, or to other EU countries we will need to Passport...also you need to have your pet in Europe for 6 months before you can go to the UK)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a "pet passport" blue little book type of thing my old vet gave me. I have filled it out but am not sure if I have to have a vet sign off on the list of vacinations that the dog has had. I am thinking of just cutting out the section from the vet paperwork which shows the shots and sticking that in the passport. Will that work or do you know if they require the vet signature somewhere?
Yvonne

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm really not sure. As soon as I get my dog's passport I'll come back to this thread and let you know of my experience. ATM he's still "jet lagged" ;)

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Yvonne
To travel around Europe, you need the official European pet passport. Information on this from the EU is here: EUROPA - Animal Health & Welfare - Live Animals - Pets and non-commercial - Questions & Answers

Patching something together from vaccination records will not provide the appropriate documentation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi ydukes,

the idea is that your vet first reads the data on the microchip of your dog. This is to make sure the ID on the dog's microchip matches the one mentioned in the pet passport and also to make sure the microchip is still in place and can be found if the customs officials choose to check the dog.
Then after checking the microchip, the vet gives the vaccination and finally fills the information in the passport. You do not fill in this information on your own.
If you like, you can fill in the pet's name and address and your own contact information. In my dog's passport there is even a place for a photo :) but none of that are considered relevant info from the customs' point of view. What they care about is the info about the vaccinations and it is always filled by the vet.

I will be driving through Europe with my dog in June and just took her to the vet to get her shots and to update her passport. Now I just need to figure out how to transport her insulin from Finland to France. She is diabetic and the insulin needs to be stored in the fridge before taken in use. We used to have a mini-fridge for the car but it takes quite a lot of space considering I just need it for a few small syringes.

Happy traveling :)

--Penni

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, that is the best site we have found so far? Curious, why fly to Zurich instead of Toulouse?

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
thanks, that is the best site we have found so far? Curious, why fly to Zurich instead of Toulouse?
When flying from the US to France, it's only possible to fly directly to Paris (or sometimes, to Nice).

When flying with pets, it's best to avoid having to change planes.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.