Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

761 - 775 of 775 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am planning to go in first or second week of July to Sydney from India. There are many flight options available online but I am not sure to book in advance in current scenario or not.
In my understanding, It is advisable to book 15-20 days in advance only.
Please share your experience and thoughts.
it is true to book in 2 to 3 weeks in advance and should be fine. Could u plz let me know which airlines u r seeing to Sydney from India..? I don't see much options as of now. thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In case of first entry to Australia as PR. Can we register for repatriation flight on DFAT site? Any experience to share?
i don't think so. as of now they are taking cases with citizens, and i remember somewhere i read it as more than 5k AU citizens in India.. so don't think any option for PR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys, I am planning to make my first entry to Australia from South Africa, but I can't find any flight at the moment. However, I could see cheaper flights to New Zealand. Do you think I can fly first to New Zealand, then travel to Australia from there as a new PR holder?
Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Do you think I can fly first to New Zealand, then travel to Australia from there as a new PR holder?
No you won't be allowed entry into NZ. The only people allowed entry to NZ at the moment are:
  • New Zealand citizens (including those from the three Countries of the Realm: Tokelau, Niue and the Cook Islands), permanent residents and their immediate family
  • Australian citizens and permanent residents whose primary place of established residence is New Zealand
  • Travellers from a quarantine-free travel zone (the travel bubble that exists between NZ and most of Australia, the Cook Islands and Niue)
Additionally, there is the technical point on your status. Technically, while you have a visa that allows you permanent resident, you are not a permanent resident until you make you are admitted into the country.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No you won't be allowed entry into NZ.
Does this apply to transiting NZ as well? OP wasn't really clear if they are planning to enter NZ and travel onward to Aus on a separate ticket or transit NZ on a single ticket. I think NZ permits transiting (or at least they did earlier in 2020 during the start of the pandemic).

Additionally, there is the technical point on your status. Technically, while you have a visa that allows you permanent resident, you are not a permanent resident until you make you are admitted into the country.
Technically you do become a Permanent Resident (for immigration purposes) the day your visa is granted. You do not become a resident (eg. for tax, citizenship or medicare purposes) until you are onshore and living in the country. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Does this apply to transiting NZ as well?
You can transit through NZ with limitations.
  • you can only travel through Auckland International Airport
  • you must stay in the transit area of the airport or on board your craft
  • you must spend less than 24 hours in transit in NZ
Technically you do become a Permanent Resident (for immigration purposes) the day your visa is granted.
Its been a long time since I looked at the law behind this, so I am entirely willing to concede that I am wrong or at least out of date. But a visa is just a vehicle to allow a consular official to request a person be granted permission to enter the country.

All visas have a condition attached to them along the lines of "subject to an entry permit" - if you are not granted an entry permit on arrival your visa is in essence cancelled or at least revoked.

As such the rights of the visa are not granted until an entry permit is granted and that only happens at the port of entry.

I will admit it is an extremely rare edge case

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am currently at onshore and waiting for my 190 visa Grant. But soon I have to go to my home country for a short duration. I know that Australia still has the International Travel restrictions. I have few queries regarding my travel and PR grant as below:

1. If I leave Australia now before getting the PR grant then how will it impact my PR Visa Grant? As for 190 PR I have made the Onshore commitment.
2. While at onshore, if I receive the PR grant and then I think to leave Australia for a short duration, then will I get the Travel exemption approved to leave the country?(If the exemption request is not for any family Medical condition)

Request you to please advice and provide your suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
1. If I leave Australia now before getting the PR grant then how will it impact my PR Visa Grant? As for 190 PR I have made the Onshore commitment.
It will probably not impact your Visa Application or Grant, but having a non-PR currently will limit your entry in to Australia even if you possess a BVB.

2. While at onshore, if I receive the PR grant and then I think to leave Australia for a short duration, then will I get the Travel exemption approved to leave the country?(If the exemption request is not for any family Medical condition)
Probably not in current circumstances, but situation can change in coming months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It will probably not impact your Visa Application or Grant, but having a non-PR currently will limit your entry in to Australia even if you possess a BVB.

Probably not in current circumstances, but situation can change in coming months.
Thanks @fugitive_4u

If assume that I got the grant while at onshore and then I received the travel exemption as well to visit my home country. But due to the less incoming flights to Australia if won't be able to return to Australia for 6 months, then will I be breaching the Onsite Commitment I made with the State for 190 visa? What possibly can happen in this case?
Kindly advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not correct. You are a Permanent Resident of Australia as soon as your visa is granted and In Effect - with your visa grant number you can check VEVO to see if the visa is In Effect, which automatically permits you to travel to Australia (subject to any Public Health directions prohibiting it of course).

Its been a long time since I looked at the law behind this, so I am entirely willing to concede that I am wrong or at least out of date. But a visa is just a vehicle to allow a consular official to request a person be granted permission to enter the country.

All visas have a condition attached to them along the lines of "subject to an entry permit" - if you are not granted an entry permit on arrival your visa is in essence cancelled or at least revoked.

As such the rights of the visa are not granted until an entry permit is granted and that only happens at the port of entry.

I will admit it is an extremely rare edge case
Not the case. There are no conditions attached by default to a primary applicant for a skilled visa except for the "Initial Entry Date" (which is a visa condition, and if you do not arrive before that date then the visa is liable for cancellation). Australia hasn't had Entry Permits for about 27 years, as those only applied to pre-September 1994 entries. A visa is an entitlement to enter Australia subject to any other conditions imposed with the grant.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanks @fugitive_4u

If assume that I got the grant while at onshore and then I received the travel exemption as well to visit my home country. But due to the less incoming flights to Australia if won't be able to return to Australia for 6 months, then will I be breaching the Onsite Commitment I made with the State for 190 visa? What possibly can happen in this case?
Kindly advice.

Thanks
The onsite commitment you make is for 2 years if I recall correctly and you can fulfil that anytime in your 5 year period, and/or before you apply for your citizenship or RRV. It is not immediately after your grant.

761 - 775 of 775 Posts