Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Me and my wife have received a PR recently under 189. We have decided to move to Melbourne but we have lot of queries in our mind which are bothering us due to the travel restrictions as a result of COVID-19 scare around the world. We are planning to land in June, 2020 first week. However, I have not booked the tickets yet. I have following doubts:
1) Should I wait before booking the tickets for some more time to assess the local situation in Australia and around the World? ( especially, the transit points to Australia)
2) Is there going to be a scarcity of odd jobs due to lock down of certain businesses like cafes, restaurants etc. in Australia. Since they will provide us an income during our initial days in Australia.
3) Will there be significant effect on the hardcore industries making it difficult to find suitable jobs in our career profiles?
4) We are in a fix and any advice from those who are already in Australia (especially Melbourne) or traveled to Australia recently would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Hey guys.

Me and my wife have received a PR recently under 189. We have decided to move to Melbourne but we have lot of queries in our mind which are bothering us due to the travel restrictions as a result of COVID-19 scare around the world. We are planning to land in June, 2020 first week. However, I have not booked the tickets yet. I have following doubts:
1) Should I wait before booking the tickets for some more time to assess the local situation in Australia and around the World? ( especially, the transit points to Australia)
2) Is there going to be a scarcity of odd jobs due to lock down of certain businesses like cafes, restaurants etc. in Australia. Since they will provide us an income during our initial days in Australia.
3) Will there be significant effect on the hardcore industries making it difficult to find suitable jobs in our career profiles?
4) We are in a fix and any advice from those who are already in Australia (especially Melbourne) or traveled to Australia recently would be helpful.
1,2,3 - yes. As the virus spreads, many countries have added additional and progressively stronger restrictions, which may include closing many businesses temporarily and restricting movement, including within a country.

4. Note that anyone and everyone arriving in Australia (from tomorrow - 16 March 2020) must self-isolate for 14 days:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...lf-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys.

Hi Sky,

We are also sailing in the same boat. Me and my spouse have received our PR in the first week of February. We have already put down papers in our current organizations, serving notice period and also we have booked our flight in the first week of June from India to Melbourne via Colombo.

We are really stressed out due to the current situation caused by COVID 19, and not sure if we should defer our plan of migration and till how long. :/

Let's hope for the best !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even I was supposed to submit my resignation in my current organisation but was constantly following Australia news for this pandemic. I was supposed to book tickets too for the travel during first week of June, 2020. However, now that seems to be unreal at the moment as the situation is worsening day by day around the World including Australia. Apart from fears of catching up the virus infection during international travel, the Australian government is also shutting down many public places where there are large gatherings, people are told to work from home. I am scared of not finding suitable jobs with the current situation in Australia including the odd jobs. Moreover, there are also expenses to be taken care of being new in a whole new country. I am not scaring you but just be aware of these practical situations which can arise in forthcoming months. Do take an informed decision and also keep us updated here about your travel plans. Since, your travel plans are still 2 months ahead, there is a possibility of situation being under control but only the upcoming days will tell us the exact scenario. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good topic.

I was landing on 30th April in Adelaide and our flight had a stop in Chile, but they already closed their borders, so we're postponing our arrival indefinitely until all this chaos settle down.

Reactions: sky1988

·
Registered
489 Posts
ISCAH facebook post:

The Department of Immigration have provided the following information in relation to questions posed in regards visas and the corona virus (Source: MIA)

he MIA has received the following responses to questions sent to the Department on behalf of members.
Will any concessions be available for visa holders unable to comply with their current visa conditions?
The department is taking a flexible approach to visa holders in these circumstances, including in the following situations:
Requests for waiver of the ‘No Further Stay’ condition (8503, 8534 and 8535)
Timeframes in relation to health, character and English language requirements for applicants.

Will international student graduates be provided with an extended application period where they have not been able to return onshore to lodge their Subclass 485 applications?
The Migration Regulations allow international students to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa up to six months after the expiry of their student visa. This means that most students who completed higher education studies in Semester 2 of 2019 will have until September 2020 to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa.

Will the 12 months living in Australia immediately prior to citizenship applications be enforced for those who have been prevented from returning to Australia due to the travel ban?
The Australian Citizenship Act 2007 (the Act) sets out the legislative requirements for Australian citizenship by conferral, which includes having to meet the general residence requirements at section 22. The general residence requirement requires applicants to have been lawfully present in Australia for a period of four years, including at least 12 months as a permanent resident, immediately prior to making an application. Applicants may be absent from Australia for no more than 12 months in total during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to lodging an application. It is noted that the Act, includes several ministerial discretions which may be applied to assist a person to meet the general residence requirement in limited circumstances. There is no legislative authority under the Act for either the Minister or a delegated decision maker to waive any of the legal requirements for conferral of Australian citizenship.

Will concessions be available for students who have been unable to return to Australia due to the travel ban and have undertaken online courses during this period to ensure the continuity of their academic progress during the travel ban?
The Department of Home Affairs plays no role in authorising the modes of study for international students and is guided by education sector regulators, the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) and the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), on whether students can count online learning towards completion of their course.

Has the Department devoted extra resources to processing urgent waiver requests?
Yes

Has the Department considered allowing visitor visa applicants in this situation to lodge paper applications, thus bypassing the ImmiAccount system which would prevent online applications being made?
No. Online applications can be diverted to available staff anywhere.

Will security bonds be seized where the VH has not departed the country in accordance with their visa conditions as a result of the travel ban?
The decision regarding forfeiture of a bond is discretionary. Visa holders must remain lawful and abide by the conditions of the visa held. Where a visa holder is not compliant, the Department will assess the forfeiture of each bond on a case by case basis.

What arrangements have been put in place to allow BVB holders offshore to extend the validity of the BVB while they are prevented from returning to Australia?
There is no ability to “extend” a BVB travel period after grant. Non-citizens will need to apply for a further visa to return to Australia.

Will BVB holders’ whose visas expire while overseas because of the ban be able to apply offshore for a further BVB?
No. There is no ability to “extend” a BVB travel period after grant. Non-citizens will need to apply for a further visa to return to Australia.

Would consideration be given to issuing BVB holders adversely affected by the travel ban with very short stay visitor visas so they can get back onto their BVAs quickly?
If a BVB expires before the holder can return to Australia, they will need to apply for another visa (such as a short stay Visitor visa) once the travel restrictions have been lifted. Decisions on Visitor visa applications will be made on a case by case basis. Once onshore, the person will need to apply for a BVA to remain lawful after the Visitor visa expires.

What evidence of the relationship be required to be provided for entry to Australia of de facto partners?
If a de facto relationship has not been previously declared and evidenced to the Department, documents can be submitted via https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/…/australian-immigration-en…. Documents might include:

Evidence of a child/ren of the relationship and shared responsibility for care and support of children;
Evidence of shared finances or purchases, such as joint loan agreements for real estate, cars, major household appliances, operation of joint bank accounts;
Evidence that a de facto couple are living together (or at least not living separately and apart permanently), such as joint ownership of residential property, joint residential leases, joint rental receipts, joint utilities accounts, correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address.
Any other documents that demonstrate that a de facto couple is in a genuine and continuing relationship.

How will those with cancelled temporary visas have these reinstated?
Persons are being notified in writing of their visa cancellation and provided with advice on how to seek revocation of the visa cancellation decision. Visas will be reinstated for people who can demonstrate they have been outside of mainland China for a minimum period of 14 days or if they fall within one of the existing exemption categories. Remaining revocation requests will be prioritised for consideration by the Department after the temporary travel restrictions have been lifted.
If an individual thinks their visa may have been cancelled under the enhanced border control measures, they should contact [email protected] for further information.

Will the cancelled visa holders need to seek revocation under s129?
Yes. Non-citizens whose visas were cancelled offshore under s128 will need to apply for revocation in accordance with s129.

How will students who were in China on 1 February, but who have now not been in China for 14 days be able to board flights to Australia?
Students who have spent more than 14 days in another country to which COVID-19 restrictions do not apply, can travel to Australia. Passports or visas with date stamps are accepted as evidence of leaving the Chinese border at least 14 days prior.

How will we interpret residency requirements for business skills visas in this context?
This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis depending on how long the travel restrictions are in place.

(Any questions to [email protected] only thanks)

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/hel...eFwmXw7Jr0fL7BAGn1FjzVD7euNRpV4PnzToHJ6NmN12M

Reactions: abraham777

·
Registered
183 Posts
Latest Covid travel advice from Home Affairs:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus

It mentions temporary visa holders will have their visas cancelled if they try to enter the country from a banned country.

The Vevo website mentions that anyone who has been granted after 1st Feb 2020 may have issues accessing Vevo implying that you should not attempt to land in Australia at this time.

Obviously general advise is to cancel all non-essential travel. But if you've already quit your job and are burning through savings, i'm wondering whether it may be ok to still travel (but self isolate for 14 days).

Also hoping there's some more general advise about IEDs to save us all emailing / calling for a waiver when that deadline approaches.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Australia closes its borders to non-residents and citizens

Straight from the ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/coronavirus-non-resident-travel-ban-australia/12071640

This means:
If you're a citizen or permanent resident, you're able to come back to Australia.
If you are NOT a citizen or permanent resident, you'll be unable to enter Australia.

Hope everyone is doing OK from a mental health perspective. Stressful for sure (I'm personally on a 482 temporary visa) and was planning on going back to the USA next month but I guess not anymore.

Stay strong and stay positive, folks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi mfh5001,

Thanks for the information !!

That mean people having PR can still enter Australia (subject to flight availability), however, those who were planning to travel for the first time after getting PR cannot travel. Is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi mfh5001,

That mean people having PR can still enter Australia (subject to flight availability), however, those who were planning to travel for the first time after getting PR cannot travel. Is my understanding correct?
Yeh i'm a bit unclear on this too. Will 189 and 190 holders who have not had their first landing be able to land and be considered Permanent Residents?

On Vevo it does say Permanent Resident (but must arrive before IED)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that other problem here are for 489 holders with IED coming in the next months... will DHA extend it?
Luckily my IED is only on January 2021 and i hope they don't close borders until then, but and people with IED coming soon?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi mfh5001,

You should be able to travel since you already are present in their system as a permanent resident. The first entry should be done as soon as possible since travel bans are getting severe day by day and we might even go into a lockdown in the coming weeks here in Australia :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi mfh5001,

Australian prime minister says only residents can enter the country with 14 days self isolation. This mean people who were residents of this country already(read citizens and permanent residents already have their home here)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Sky,

We are also sailing in the same boat. Me and my spouse have received our PR in the first week of February. We have already put down papers in our current organizations, serving notice period and also we have booked our flight in the first week of June from India to Melbourne via Colombo.

We are really stressed out due to the current situation caused by COVID 19, and not sure if we should defer our plan of migration and till how long. :/

Let's hope for the best !!

Situation is really bad in terms of jobs due to bushfire and coronovirus. Australia is heading towards recession. It is better to stick to jobs wherever you are. There are already job losses started in australia. Recently supermarket causal jobs received record number of application, 30k application for 5k jobs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

Is there an Immigration email that we can contact & get clarification regarding the first IED during this time? I have a job offer but they are unsure due to this lock down. need to show them some proof from Immigration it self.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Visa 190, flying to Sydney for the first time (IED) on 25 March 2020. I am trying to find out if I qualify for an entry despite the travel ban. My research so far:
- there is no information on the Internet about travel ban impact on IED
- I called a guy from smartraveller_gov_au helpline, he said that in his opinion I SHOULD QUALIFY for the entry, but better to call Home Affairs. This is a government website, so a bit of relief for me
- I called Home Affairs a number of time, each call at least 10 minutes, no answer
- my visa status on VEVO says that it's In Effect, Offshore - sounds like it's a valid visa NOW, not only after IED
Anybody know someone who did his IED today or yesterday?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes - if you hold a PR visa then you are entitled to enter as long as you enter before your IED.

My understanding is if you're unable to enter before your IED, you can contact the Department of Home Affairs (please Google it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeh i'm a bit unclear on this too. Will 189 and 190 holders who have not had their first landing be able to land and be considered Permanent Residents?

On Vevo it does say Permanent Resident (but must arrive before IED)
Yes correct, in their system we are registered as Permanent residence. In that case, I think we can travel but have to self isolate for 14 days at HOME OR IN A HOTEL ( Mentioned on home affairs website)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Situation is really bad in terms of jobs due to bushfire and coronovirus. Australia is heading towards recession. It is better to stick to jobs wherever you are. There are already job losses started in australia. Recently supermarket causal jobs received record number of application, 30k application for 5k jobs.
Yes situation is really bad atm. Since I have already resigned stating that I am migrating to Australia, hence no chance to recall it :(. Anyway, I have time till June, almost 2.5 months, will see the situation and decide accordingly !!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Visa 190, flying to Sydney for the first time (IED) on 25 March 2020. I am trying to find out if I qualify for an entry despite the travel ban. My research so far:

- there is no information on the Internet about travel ban impact on IED

- I called a guy from smartraveller_gov_au helpline, he said that in his opinion I SHOULD QUALIFY for the entry, but better to call Home Affairs. This is a government website, so a bit of relief for me

- I called Home Affairs a number of time, each call at least 10 minutes, no answer

- my visa status on VEVO says that it's In Effect, Offshore - sounds like it's a valid visa NOW, not only after IED

Anybody know someone who did his IED today or yesterday?
ISCAH posted this on Facebook. It says permenent visa holders at offshore who are yet to enter can still travel.

Following is the post

Update regards Temporary visa holders stuck overseas or visas run out etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Immigration minister met with the MIA today and here are the notes from that meeting ....

Report to MIA members
Minister Tudge and John Hourigan FMIA, National President MIA re Travel ban

The teleconference meeting was attended by representatives of the leading industry groups across Australia, including the Australian Industry Group, Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Business Council of Australia, regional Australia Institute, Migration Council of Australia and Department of Home Affairs representatives.

The meeting discussed a variety of policy issues and impacts related to the travel bans with a surprising amount of common agreement on how these should be managed.
The Government is very conscious of the significant and adverse impact the travel bans are having on Australians, Australia's goods and trade, on Australian businesses small and large, and not least on temporary visa holders. The Department is attempting to manage the situation with as light a touch as possible within the current circumstances.
The consistent message was that the Government and Department of Home Affairs are attempting to be as flexible as possible within the constraints of the legislative framework. As members are aware, while policy can be changed relatively easily, legislation takes a lot longer.

The Department is attempting to make it as simple as possible for onshore visa holders to remain lawful. This includes taking a light touch approach to onshore lodged visitor visas, no further stay waivers and extensions of visa validity where possible. The relaxation of student visa working conditions for supermarkets and aged care are further example of this.

Strategies to ensure essential services and critical infrastructure are maintained are being considered including the necessity for essential and critical occupations to be permitted to enter Australia. Health workers and oil and gas rig changeover crews were mentioned as examples.
Approaches aimed at ensuring the security of food supply by adjusting arrangements for working holiday makers and agricultural sector seasonal workers are also under consideration.

Adjustment to the travel restrictions for temporary visa holders who have already established a presence in Australia may be considered, most likely on a case by case basis.
The Government is also aware that visa holders who lose their livelihoods may become very vulnerable within our communities and are looking at services to alleviate this.
Those who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country.
Visa processing, for GSM visas in particular, will continue within the constraints of the situation.

Finally, the timing of the curfew was discussed with Minister Tudge explaining that 9 pm was chosen to coordinate with the 12 midnight NZ ban implementation and to give Australian border officials time to notify airlines of the travel restrictions.
As members can see from the above report the meeting was confined to the discussion of policy settings and not to the specific detail of visa subclasses or visa holders circumstances. This report is provided to MIA members to provide them with insight into the direction of the Government's and the Department's thinking at this time.
The National President and the MIA cannot answer in any more detail as yet on the specific strategies that may be developed as outcomes from this meetings.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 532 Posts