Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

Obviously completely new to this forum but wondered if anyone is able to assist or point in the right direction? I appreciate there's probably a hundred threads like this but any assistance would be great.

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of travelling later this year from October onwards initially to south east Asia and then to Australia, with a view of staying in Australia for a few months and working. Being complete novices, knowing how to start and where to look is quite daunting and we wondered if anybody had similar experience and could help us with the following:

1. Would you recommend buying connecting flights once there instead of booking them all in advance? If so can anyone recommend good ailrlines?

2. We've heard Sydney and Melbourne are difficult to get jobs in during the Summer/Christmas season, therefore, has anyone been to Perth or Darwin and what are job prospects like there.

3. Finally our combined budget is going to be around about £5000 (excluding flights) and we've heard varying comments about whether this is adequate or not, but we do intend to work in Australia. Can anyone speak from their personal experience about what they took and how they found budgeting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Brighton traveller,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with most of what you're asking but just wanted to check that you have a working visa for Australia - something like a working holiday visa to make sure that you can work here and not simply a tourist visa?

When we used to travel over here on holidays we always used to book all the flights in advance from the UK, simply because our time was limited and we needed to make sure that we could get flights.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts