Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OH is working in London and due to fly back on Wednesday from Gatwick. Flights have been cancelled yesterday and today and the airports have been closed. I am really worried that if his flight on Wednesday is cancelled, he won't be able to get on another flight to get him home for Christmas. So, I've just booked him on to another flight tomorrow (at vast expense) as a flexi fare. I'm hoping that he will now have more chance of making it back.

Anyone else due to travel to/from the UK in the next couple of days? How worried should we be?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My OH is working in London and due to fly back on Wednesday from Gatwick. Flights have been cancelled yesterday and today and the airports have been closed. I am really worried that if his flight on Wednesday is cancelled, he won't be able to get on another flight to get him home for Christmas. So, I've just booked him on to another flight tomorrow (at vast expense) as a flexi fare. I'm hoping that he will now have more chance of making it back.

Anyone else due to travel to/from the UK in the next couple of days? How worried should we be?

I'm flying tomorrow to gatwick from Málaga with the children. Are we worried??? Nah, I think the media are dramatising things a bit maybe, but I'm expecting a delay. My daughters are both air hostesses working out of Gatwick and they dont think there'll be a problem, they did close the runways earlier, but they're open now and catching up quickly!!! I hope you didnt pay too much for the changed flight!?

Jo xxx

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm flying tomorrow to gatwick from Málaga with the children. Are we worried??? Nah, I think the media are dramatising things a bit maybe, but I'm expecting a delay. My daughters are both air hostesses working out of Gatwick and they dont think there'll be a problem, they did close the runways earlier, but they're open now and catching up quickly!!! I hope you didnt pay too much for the changed flight!?

Jo xxx
To be honest Jo, the cost of the change of flight is the last thing we are worried about. The thought of our first Christmas in Spain being spent apart is much more of a worry. It wasn't the media that was a worry to us - more the very real fact that the flights had been cancelled two days on the trot. Our bonus is that hopefully we will have him home a day early!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're flying into East Midlands on Christmas Eve...there appears to be no problems there.
Yes, East Midlands seems to be OK according to the BBC travel website. My brother is flying in from there Christmas Eve.

Gatwick is open again, and flights seems to be coming and going. As Stravinsky said, Easyjet seems to be the worst affected as they have cancelled a lot of flights for today as well.

My OH has a seat with Aer Lingus and it seems to be OK at the moment. It is due to be -4 degrees there when it takes off this afternoon! The kids are keeping everything crossed.:grouphug:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I've just written a great big long post here and my internet crashed and I lost it!!!!! AAAGGGHH!!!

The weather in Málaga is terrible, high winds and torrential rain which may also add to my travel plans later today. I'm on Aer lingus Málaga to Gatwick this evening, so I'm watching the Aer Lingus carefully, so far, so good. Its loaded at Gatwick and waiting to take off apparently!!??? But its late!!

Jo xx

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
I've just written a great big long post here and my internet crashed and I lost it!!!!! AAAGGGHH!!!

The weather in Málaga is terrible, high winds and torrential rain which may also add to my travel plans later today. I'm on Aer lingus Málaga to Gatwick this evening, so I'm watching the Aer Lingus carefully, so far, so good. Its loaded at Gatwick and waiting to take off apparently!!??? But its late!!

Jo xx

Looks like some flights are delayed
Gatwick Airport: Flight information & status from Gatwick Airport | Official flight info...

·
Registered
348 Posts

Jo xx
Have a safe trip Jo....and have a lovely Christmas and new year..xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Have a safe trip Jo....and have a lovely Christmas and new year..xx
Thank you Hombre, and the same to you and yours!!!!

The Aer Lingus flight from Gatwick to Málaga has taken off an hour late, but its a good sign dont you think !!!????

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thank you Hombre, and the same to you and yours!!!!

The Aer Lingus flight from Gatwick to Málaga has taken off an hour late, but its a good sign dont you think !!!????

Jo xxxx
dont worry about the flight jo worry about how your going to get through passport control with green hair :eek::rolleyes:;):D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck jojo and hope it goes smoothly. I think the trains from Gatwick are also affected, as are the roads, so you might have more delays once you get there! My OH is on the 17.00 aer lingus out of gatwick, and so far it is saying it is estimated to be about 50 delay in taking off. I suspect this will change as the day goes on. The plane in is already one and a half hours late getting in. Luckily, one of the perks of getting the flexifare is that he gets to go in the airport lounge, so if there is a long delay at least he has somewhere comfortable to hang out!
Meanwhile, my son's bedroom flooded in the night so I've got plenty to keep me busy!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
There are delays at Luton, Gatwick, Heathrow & Manchester. Chiltern Trains are all to cock, roads around Basingstoke are bad, and there is an alert over most of the UK for ice, supposed to -4 in the Midlands tomorrow, -2 in the SE.

Easyjet cancelled all their flights from Luton this morning

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
There are delays at Luton, Gatwick, Heathrow & Manchester. Chiltern Trains are all to cock, roads around Basingstoke are bad, and there is an alert over most of the UK for ice, supposed to -4 in the Midlands tomorrow, -2 in the SE.

Easyjet cancelled all their flights from Luton this morning
have to say I'm glad I'm staying home then:D

even if it is grey, wet & windy

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And now the sun is shining again! I am definitely glad we are here for Christmas, as long as the OH gets back OK. His flight is showing a delay but it looks like it will arrive eventually

·
Registered
348 Posts
And now the sun is shining again! I am definitely glad we are here for Christmas, as long as the OH gets back OK. His flight is showing a delay but it looks like it will arrive eventually
Calm down people......it's just a bit of snow. We will all be where we want to be this Christmas.
It's headlines...it sells papers.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Apparently flights are running as normal - well from Gatwick anyway, BUT most have at least an hours delay!!??

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.