Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have clarification regarding hiring translation service. I have a need of translating Swedish to English of my Visa decision letter from Migration Board, Sweden.

I already read up this details from this below link:
https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega...an-translate-my-documents-into-english-for-me

A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.
I would like to know can I hire a freelance translator to get the document translated
or
Is there any minimum qualification requirement for the offshore translator?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have clarification regarding hiring translation service. I have a need of translating Swedish to English of my Visa decision letter from Migration Board, Sweden.

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega...an-translate-my-documents-into-english-for-me

I would like to know can I hire a freelance translator to get the document translated
or
You can translate documents by a freelance translator, as long as that person is certified in doing so. Their is not minimum qualification requirement as long as they have some form of qualification and experience in translating these languages.

For eg. I got a couple of documents translated from a University professor who was teaching the language for past several years.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello everyone,

or
There is a minimum qualification requirement like Interpretor or Translator and the translator need to be accredited by NAATI..you can find a translator here: https://www.naati.com.au/Online/PDSearch/StartNewSearch

Note: These are the ONLY people qualified for translation services...Using of other translation service will not be accepted

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can translate documents by a freelance translator, as long as that person is certified in doing so. Their is not minimum qualification requirement as long as they have some form of qualification and experience in translating these languages.

For eg. I got a couple of documents translated from a University professor who was teaching the language for past several years.
Please check whether the person is accredited by NAATI...or the CO may contact you when you lodge VISA for it to be translated by NAATI accredited person

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tey dont have to be accredited by NAATI if they are outside Australia

·
Registered
23,961 Posts
Tey dont have to be accredited by NAATI if they are outside Australia
You are correct that they don't have to be NAATI accredited if they are outside Australia

But it's not that if you are getting it done outside Australia, you can get it done by any Tom Dick or Harry
He has to have a certain minimum qualifications and experience as given in the guidelines
Now whether he meets those guidelines or not will be decided by the CO
He may ask for the credentials of the person, which may lead to delay

So when one is spending so much on an application from end to end, this little extra money spent on a NAATI accredited translator is money well spent, to avoid this uncertainty

The final decision is yours

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on the comments I totally understand some accredited/certified translator will be a value addition for translation of the documents.
If it's NAATI approved translator it will be hassle free for CO in terms of trust issues.

As per my observation NAATI approved translators charges are sky high (its a reasonable cost in aussie standards) compared to the certified translators elsewhere and I thought of alternative.

One thing I understood here is, NAATI Translators are the safe bet!

Best is yet to come!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Based on the comments I totally understand some accredited/certified translator will be a value addition for translation of the documents.
If it's NAATI approved translator it will be hassle free for CO in terms of trust issues.

As per my observation NAATI approved translators charges are sky high (its a reasonable cost in aussie standards) compared to the certified translators elsewhere and I thought of alternative.

One thing I understood here is, NAATI Translators are the safe bet!

Best is yet to come!

There is no such thing when its done outside of Australia.
Any one can do it with an translation establishment and as long as he /she writes their contact details.

Its not necessary that the translator should complete competitive 99.999% schooling or highly qualified Ph.D

A translator with ample experience with an establishment or any teaching professional can do that for minimal charge.Its very much accepted by DIBP as long as translator provides all his contact details and any registration to carry out such tasks in his/her place.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts