Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is slightly random.

I'm trying to send money to my husband for our visa application and need to get it to him ASAP.
Can anyone recommend in the UK where to go for this and who they'd recommend.
I've seen money gram and Western union but wanted to see what the best option is?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a credit card just a debit card and we were going to split the cost 50/50 as it's quite a lot with the priority service.

My bank account takes 4 days for international transfers and we want to submit docs next Friday so need to get biometrics done ASAP.

Just wondered if anyone had used any transferring services they recommend?

Also with the online visa app does he need to sign anything or could I do the app on his behalf and arrange the biometric?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have a credit card just a debit card and we were going to split the cost 50/50 as it's quite a lot with the priority service.
If the card is a Visa/MC Debit, I believe it can be used to make online payments. For years, I have been using Visa Debit card for making such payments and also online western union transfers. You could confirm it with your bank.

My bank account takes 4 days for international transfers and we want to submit docs next Friday so need to get biometrics done ASAP.

Just wondered if anyone had used any transferring services they recommend?
Since time is of the essence, you could withdraw the amount from your bank and have it transferred via moneygram or western union so that the money is available to your husband in minutes and he could deposit it to his bank the same day. I think western charges a bit higher fee for the transfer.

Also with the online visa app does he need to sign anything or could I do the app on his behalf and arrange the biometric?
After submitting the online visa application, it takes about half an hour for the form to be processed and will be ready for printing out after that. In my case I had two pages where I needed to sign and date. The website provides option to book biometric appointment. The process is streamlined. He can provide his zip code and the nearest Application Support Center will be shown, and he can pick the date for biometrics. He'll have to print out the biometrics confirmation and take it with him when he visits the ASC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been using Transferwise recently. They are quick and you get almost the spot exchange rate. They don't cover all countries yet, though. Good luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have you tried paypal? Facebook also now has a send money option on their messenger app (you scan your card with your phone) but I don't know how long that will take.

Paypal takes my fiance's money from his bank within just a few hours. Of course he has a large bank branch. (Bank of Scotland) If you're unlucky like me, (I have a small branch) it could take days still.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If it's less than a few hundred dollars, PayPal isn't bad. You'll get the worst rates with banks, so I'd suggest shopping around for an international money transfer service.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy for everything!

Went for ease of use and access and did a moneygram.. Charged me 45 pound to do it which is ridiculous but time isn't really on our side lol..

Anyone know how soon biometrics are generally available in New York? Within a day or two?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.