Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone transferred an immunization record from the States to the Australian system for a child? If so, how long did it take you to receive your certified copy of the Australian immunization record? Our child can't start preschool until we have the certified copy in hand. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Has anyone transferred an immunization record from the States to the Australian system for a child? If so, how long did it take you to receive your certified copy of the Australian immunization record? Our child can't start preschool until we have the certified copy in hand. Thanks!
Well, I don't have experience of transferring immunisation record from the US, but basic process should be same irrespective of the country. You need to contact GP along with immunisation record for your child and then he/she will update it in the medicare records for you. This took a week in my case. Once he/she confirms that they have updated records, you need to contact Australian Immunisation Register on their helpline number and ask them to update your child's immunisation status in their records. Usually you don't need to call them, however I will advise to call them to move things a bit quicker.

Once they AIR updates their immunisation records, you should be able to see it in your medicare records and also download it from the myGov site. You will also get the statement by post to your postal address. You can then submit it to the preschool. The whole process took me about 3-4 weeks, but some of my friends got it sooner.

Also, some preschools are not very strict with immunisation records upfront while enrolling. Mine was happy to accept our Indian immunisation record till the Australian one was getting ready. Check with the pre-school if they can wait.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't have experience of transferring immunisation record from the US, but basic process should be same irrespective of the country. You need to contact GP along with immunisation record for your child and then he/she will update it in the medicare records for you. This took a week in my case. Once he/she confirms that they have updated records, you need to contact Australian Immunisation Register on their helpline number and ask them to update your child's immunisation status in their records. Usually you don't need to call them, however I will advise to call them to move things a bit quicker.

Once they AIR updates their immunisation records, you should be able to see it in your medicare records and also download it from the myGov site. You will also get the statement by post to your postal address. You can then submit it to the preschool. The whole process took me about 3-4 weeks, but some of my friends got it sooner.

Also, some preschools are not very strict with immunisation records upfront while enrolling. Mine was happy to accept our Indian immunisation record till the Australian one was getting ready. Check with the pre-school if they can wait.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for the detailed information!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

We have our child's immunization done in India..here they follow a pre printed form with scheduled and they just tick mark and put a date against each vaccine...will that be enough to show to the GP in Aus when we go there..or do we need to get some letter from PD here in India..?

Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi,

We have our child's immunization done in India..here they follow a pre printed form with scheduled and they just tick mark and put a date against each vaccine...will that be enough to show to the GP in Aus when we go there..or do we need to get some letter from PD here in India..?
That should be good enough. We too carried similar pre-printed booklet for my daughter with dates against vaccine. As a precaution, I also typed same schedule, printed with date and got it signed and stamped from paediatrician. You can do something similar if doctor's handwriting is not legible or notes are scribbled all over the place. It just makes GP's life easier and avoid delays.

Reactions: Bhajjaji
1 - 5 of 5 Posts