Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
You need to open a bank account in which to receive the money. Most of the major banks have the facility to open your bank account before you arrive. However, whilst you can transfer money into the account, you will not be able to make any withdrawals until the bank have sighted your passport and verified your identity. Once you have your bank details, you local bank will guide you as to the process to transfer your money into the Oz bank account.

There is typically no restrictions in Australia (though any bank can ask you for the source of your money to make sure that you are not laundering money). I suspect that the bank in your own country would want to know the source of the money if it is a big amount.

You will need to declare any amounts in excess of $10k in any currency (if I remember correctly) on your immigration form in Australia. You also need to research your own country's law as they would probably have restrictions on the amount of money that can be taken out of the country without being declared. I would advise that you carry just enough money to get through the first week though for safety reasons and transfer the rest. You will normally have access to your funds as soon as the bank has verified your identity, so there is no need to carry more money in cash than you need.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.